see that much of a difference. 

M&P get heavy in regards to shipping weight, so I just go with 

WSP detergent free since they have free shipping over $40

BB is in the Pacific NW so to ship

to me would be insanely $$$$

i do add clay & additives & only use essential oils in the M&P

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, heartsong said:

:) If I might suggest Cierra Candle and soap?  I save a lot by buying 16 1-lb blocks as they will ship in  medium flat rate box...about $13 bucks?  These people bend over backwards with their customer service!  I buy the extra hard and mix in grated soap shreds.

http://www.cierracandles.com/Soap-Making-Supplies.html

Thank you, I will check them out!  :-)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, heartsong said:

:) If I might suggest Cierra Candle and soap?  I save a lot by buying 16 1-lb blocks as they will ship in  medium flat rate box...about $13 bucks?  These people bend over backwards with their customer service!  I buy the extra hard and mix in grated soap shreds.

http://www.cierracandles.com/Soap-Making-Supplies.html

Good to know :) what do you mean by you mix in grated soap shreds . Have you ever tried Vermont soap before. On their website it states that they make 

their own bases. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Good to know :) what do you mean by you mix in grated soap shreds . Have you ever tried Vermont soap before. On their website it states that they make 

their own bases. 

I use this soap base in several applications...

1) for touchy fragrances that freak out or wither from lye 

2) For lye batches that fragrance fades out...I just weigh out 16 oz M&P extra hard WHITE base and 16 oz grated soap, then throw it all into a small crockpot and place on low...the soap shreds halfway melt into the M&P giving it almost a HP texture..I just re-scent and color.

3) I save my most colorful trimmings and shreds in baggies, then melt white Extra Hard White base,  pour 1/4 full into a loaf mold, add shreds, pour more base...then shreds, etc.

:) Kinda like soap lasagne.

BTW, I haven't tried Vermon M&P...I have really limited use for M&P, I hate waste and when added to regular soap, it becomes a really nice soap for the home and friends...waste not, want not.

Edited by heartsong
  • Like 2

Awwww, bless your heart!  I really prefer Cierra Candle's much more than WSP...I have left unwrapped bars for months on my soap racks and they never sweat, crack, warp or shrink. IMHO i believe this is a superior product that behaves like CP soap with abundant lather, even in hard water.

Now with lower glycerine, the soap is not as moisturizing as the high glycerine soaps...My favorite way to use this is to make a batch of unscented lard soap, give it 3-4 week cure, then I grate it and put it in the crockpot on low, stirring occasionally for about 1/2 hour until M&P fully melted, then pour into mold...the cp soap will not completely melt, so your soap will have a rustic texture, which I find very appealing.

CP soap recipe:

10% castor

10% shea butter

15% coconut oil

65% lard

7% Superfat

Edited by heartsong
apparently I can't spell correctly
  • Like 1

OMG - thank you ! ok... dumb question - can I use Crisco for lard or is that completely different ? lol sorry, I warned you it was dumb lol !

Another thing, how does one convert %'s into oz say for a 3 lb silicone mold . I am SO making this + trying your technique with the CIerra soap. 

I always admire those that are great in math + all this comes so easily to them :) 

• Like 1

:) There is no such thing as a dumb question!  I'll be happy to convert the recipe for you...how many ounces of oils do you use in your mold?

And yes, lard is different than Crisco...lard makes Uber-creamy, gentle soaps...you'll really like this recipe...no drama.

Get your lard at the grocer store...I use Armour brand and it's really cheap!

lard.GIF

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Geez .. I don't know I'll be trying 

the recipe above . I know it's a 3 lb mold I bought from BB

Please ,you don't have to go 

to any trouble, really. I feel just 

horrible now, I didn't expect for you to offer that. Your very thoughtful ?

:) No problem my dear...don't fret...if you change your mind, just let me know and I'll be happy to help you. 

BTW, you can substitute any cp soap recipe, just so long as it is gentle on the skin...I like to keep the coconut oil around 15%.

Cierra Candles melt and pour base is just SFIC brand "no sweat" base. So where ever you can find it the cheapest price with the best shipping, Moonstar.

Brambleberry, Peak and Bulk Apothecary (and many others, I'm sure) all carry SFIC brand M&P base. I love the "no sweat" because where I live the humidity kills unwrapped M&P soap in no time!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On September 26, 2016 at 7:40 PM, Faerywren said:

Cierra Candles melt and pour base is just SFIC brand "no sweat" base. So where ever you can find it the cheapest price with the best shipping, Moonstar.

Brambleberry, Peak and Bulk Apothecary (and many others, I'm sure) all carry SFIC brand M&P base. I love the "no sweat" because where I live the humidity kills unwrapped M&P soap in no time!

Thanks - shipping on M & P can be a killer :( 

• Like 2

I personally love the M&P soaps from Candlewic, I believe they are the stephensons brand, (my favorite is the coconut milk), lathers up so well, feels great on my skin.  Just passing along- I know there are so many options out there too.  

• 1 month later...