Typical Tall Skinny Mold (TSM) dimensions?

Jcandleattic

Does anyone know the typical dimensions of a TSM? 

I came across some (FREE) coroplastm from a friend who no longer needed it, so I have enough to probably make about 15 molds all different shapes and sizes, but am most interested in making a TSM. 

However, I don't have any idea of dimensions. I'm thinking maybe 2.25" wide, 3.25" tall? Is that typical? Or am I completely off base? 

TIA

LOL 

I looked at this site - 

https://americansoapsupplies.com/molds-soap-making-cake-making/tall-skinny-mold-TS-mold-silicone-vertical-soap

And their description is 2.25" x 3.75" x 12 which is right about what I want, but I think I'll make the height 4". It says it can hold 60oz of liquid, which will be just about right for my 2lb oil batch. :) (that way I can make a fancy top too. 

I know you like to add stuff to the tops so I would definitely make it a little taller than you expect for your soap size. So if you normally make a 3.5" then a 3.75" or 4" sounds about right for you! Oh boy! Hope you share pics of the mold you make!

• Like 2

I know you like to add stuff to the tops so I would definitely make it a little taller than you expect for your soap size. So if you normally make a 3.5" then a 3.75" or 4" sounds about right for you! Oh boy! Hope you share pics of the mold you make!

When I make it I will. :) Not sure when I'll get around to it. 

• Like 1

Many of the advertised tall skinnies are anywhere from 2.2 or 2.25 inches wide by 3.5 to 4 inches tall. Those are super skinny IMO.

I started out with 2.5 wide many moons ago, and find them to be so much nicer with that extra wee .25 inch in width. Nurtures tall skinny at the 2.5 inches wide and i love them. They are perfect. When cut to 1 inch thick the weight of each bar (poured 3.25 - 3.5 tall leaving room for other decorations on top) is right within the 4.5 ounce point when fully cured. The tall skinny cut 1 inch thick comes out light unless it is super duper tall, which looks odd dimensionally and can be ungainly to use.

• Like 1

Many of the advertised tall skinnies are anywhere from 2.2 or 2.25 inches wide by 3.5 to 4 inches tall. Those are super skinny IMO.

I started out with 2.5 wide many moons ago, and find them to be so much nicer with that extra wee .25 inch in width. Nurtures tall skinny at the 2.5 inches wide and i love them. They are perfect. When cut to 1 inch thick the weight of each bar (poured 3.25 - 3.5 tall leaving room for other decorations on top) is right within the 4.5 ounce point when fully cured. The tall skinny cut 1 inch thick comes out light unless it is super duper tall, which looks odd dimensionally and can be ungainly to use.

This is great information. Thank you! 

• Like 1

I also love the 2.5" width, I think they are perfect cut at 1", unfortunately my cutter is1.25" and I only use the mold for special gifts. When I get a single wire cutter I will use it all of the time. My mold is from Nurture, love the silicone liner, the mold does the job, but I am not crazy about the wood, for the price I can't really complain though.

Edited by Sonoma Roses

Okay, I think I am going to make it 2.5" x 4" x 12".

As for cost, free is good. I think if I actually bought another mold my hub would have a hissy fit. LMAO (At last count - NOT including my embed molds - I have I think 25 loaf and slab molds of all different dimensions!! LOL it really is a sickness - but I don't want the cure!~! LOL)

I guess I am a lightweight as I only have 13 assorted molds for CP. But that's probably because I have not tried making any other than the PVC and Pringle can molds.

Like Talltayl I am finding I want my molds, or at least my production molds, to be a standardized size so they are all the same size and I can churn soap out faster.

I think the 2.5 x 4" is a good size JC. Sounds perfect! :)

Edited by Candybee

Most of the molds I actually use produce roughly the same size bars (maybe like 1/8th inch off on some) 

I'm just a sucker for a good mold. Like I said it's ridiculous really. The way most people are with FO's I'm like that with molds and colorants.