So I made the belly balm...

Stephanie

and now I have questions. There's oil on top, it seems like it's a bit grainy and the aloe gel (but liquid in the bottle) seems to have settled on the bottom of the jar. I followed this recipe (Thank you Spellkast!) but cut it in half:

4 oz. unrefined shea, 2 oz. cocoa butter, 1 oz. olive butter and 1 oz. mango butter. Melt these all in the microwave and mix in 2 oz. sweet almond oil and 2 oz. safflower oil. Add a T of Vit. E and about a T of aloe juice.

I added about 1/2 T of Carribean Coconut FO.

I mixed it all together with a spoon, poured it in a jar, stuck it in the fridge to cool and that's it. Any advice? TIA

It is an aloe gel, not the aloe oil, which it seems is what I should have used for the balm. So I'm definitely going to need to add a preservative to it. I ordered it from From Nature With Love, but couldn't find if it is water based. I'll look further on their site. Thanks for the help!

BTW, can I use beeswax as the emulsifier? And if so, how much for this recipe? Thanks, and sorry for the really basic questions.

Good point Jodi about needing an emulsifier ( I over looked that).

Bee's wax is a good thickener, some say it's an unpredictable emulsifier though . When I use bee's wax I use 25% ratio to my oils I am using.

E wax ( emulsifying wax) Binds the waters and oils together ( I prefer a vegetable e wax)

I actually did use E-wax in mine BUT, my friend insisted she didn't use any in hers, and it didn't seperate. I think she MAY have used aloe powder as opposed to juice, but not a lot of people tend to have that on hand, ya know? I don't know about the graininess, but I DEFINITELY recommend whipping it with a mixer as opposed to a spoon...it kinda "fluffs" up the balm...what I did was melt it all down, mix the ingredients for a bit, stick it in the freezer for a few minutes until it got somewhat hard and then whipped the heck out of it. :) It was still a semi-solid mixture, but after sitting a couple of days, it hardened up. And if you're making this for your sister, you really don't need a preservative...especially since I imagine she'll use it all before she has the baby. Just let her know not to put any water in it. :) Try the mixer- lemme know how it turns out!!! :D