Had a question about wax tarts...

jennyg57

Hi everyone! I'm thinking about making some wax tarts to give out to friends and family for Christmas. I figured I'd give myself 2 months to practice lol.

So I've been reading the forum the last 2 weeks and so far I bought myself a presto pot and some KY tart wax. My question is, after I've melted my wax in the presto pot, how do I heat up the wax to the appropriate temperature to add the fragrances?

Here is what I'm doing so far:

1. Melt the KY tart wax in the presto pot, set at warm.

2. Ladle out wax into pour pitcher, wax temperature drops to 150

3. Heat again on a hot plate to 185

4. add fragrance and color.

5. Wait till wax is around 160 then pour.

Should I just turn the presto up to a higher temperature instead of heating it again on a hot plate? I was also wondering if using an infrared temperature gun is actually accurate? I'm always wondering if it's measuring the clear liquid or just the bottom of the pouring pot :undecided

Thank you so much everyone for your help.

find out what the max temp for your wax is. Don't go over that, but here's what I do.

I can heat my wax to 220 but I stay at 200. I keep it in the Presto at that temp. By the time I add it to my pyrex, it drops just a little and I immediately add my FO which usually drops it a little more.

Stir stir stir and keep checking the temp throughout.

I can pour anywhere from 170 to 150 depending on the FO I'm using.

I have my system down for me, but I know a lot of people who sit their pour pots on a griddle to keep them warm while they are mixing .

I don't use a gun, just a regular cooking themometer that I got out of the kitchen section at wally world. ( it's stainless steel with a digital readout)

Looks like you did your research! But, yes, you can heat your wax to a higher temp in the presto like BTA said. I keep mine at 190, preheat my pour pot in the double boiler, then get the wax and add FO immediately. You should get a good themometer to keep in the presto at all times though - when heating the wax that high it's a must for safety to constantly monitor it - the temp can run away on you very quickly should the pot take on a mind of it's own (ask me how I know)

You have added an extra step that I do not do. Everyone does things differently, so not saying your way is not appropriate, just saying that you may want to try eliminating that extra step. I would not know the benefit to having to heat the wax back up. As was mentioned, watching your wax temp carefully (which it sounds as if you are doing already) should keep you from getting the wax too hot in the Presto.

As the others have said, I heat the wax in my Presto to just a bit above the desired temp to add my FO. I ladle (I do not have a spigot on my Presto) the wax into a warmed pyrex saucepan with pour spout add my FO, stir for about 2 minutes and once the FO is fully incorporated I pour into molds. I pour into silicone molds so if you are pouring into clams or portion cups you would want your wax temp to drop to the temp specified for that vehicle as to not melt nor warp it as you pour.

Looks like you did your research! But, yes, you can heat your wax to a higher temp in the presto like BTA said. I keep mine at 190, preheat my pour pot in the double boiler, then get the wax and add FO immediately. You should get a good themometer to keep in the presto at all times though - when heating the wax that high it's a must for safety to constantly monitor it - the temp can run away on you very quickly should the pot take on a mind of it's own (ask me how I know)

How do you keep a thermometer in the Presto? I have a digital thermometer from Walmart, but there's no way I can see to clip it so the sides of the Presto or my pour pot, so I have to stick it in the wax, read the temp, then take it back out. I would like to have something I can clip to the pot or to my stirring whisk/spoon.

Me too HS. Taylor Meat Thermometer. Bought mine on eBay, but Walmart has some too. The candy type comes with a clip & fits perfectly in PP. Walmart also. I use both types. I break the candy type easily though.

I use a digital thermometer with a metal probe - the type that is typically used for cooking meat. I lay the metal probe in the bottom of my presto.
Edited by ChandlerWicks

megandgarr suggested this to me. I bought one that has a probe like a hook so it hangs easily off the side. It looks like this:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=11720307

Someone else posted a pic of one just like it that was a Taylor brand and less expensive a day or two ago. It was from a kitchen supply site.

I use a digital thermometer with a metal probe - the type that is typically used for cooking meat. I lay the metal probe in the bottom of my presto.

Thanks, you guys! I was afraid that the hot rim of the Presto or pour pot would melt the electric cord that runs from the probe to the readout box, but I guess it's very heat resistant. Also, I thought the candy thermometer clip looked too tight to fit the Presto, so I'm happy to learn about both of those and will try them soon. I thought about somehow attaching my digital thermometer to my whisk or spoon so I can watch the temp as I'm stirring.

I do things a little differently. I use my Presto as a double boiler, with water. I just fill one pour pitcher with the wax I'm working with and melt it completely. In ANOTHER pour pot I add my color and weigh the amount of liquid wax I need. Then I switch and put the colored wax in the presto/water and heat to the temperature I need. Take out of the water, add the fragrance and then take the temp and pour.

I can bang out a LOT of testers in a short amount of time because I have three+ pounds of plain wax ready to go and I just assembly line my candles/tarts etc.

I do things a little differently. I use my Presto as a double boiler, with water. I just fill one pour pitcher with the wax I'm working with and melt it completely. In ANOTHER pour pot I add my color and weigh the amount of liquid wax I need. Then I switch and put the colored wax in the presto/water and heat to the temperature I need. Take out of the water, add the fragrance and then take the temp and pour.

I can bang out a LOT of testers in a short amount of time because I have three+ pounds of plain wax ready to go and I just assembly line my candles/tarts etc.

That is how I do it as well. I actually have three presto pots and one pancake griddle that I use for different wax to keep warm. Right now since I have just reopened not long ago, I am only using one presto pot and the griddle (griddle is to keep different waxes warm). I get tired of the steam from the water getting in the air. One pot is bad enough. I have a 150 pound wax melter as well, but only used that when I did fundraisers. It will be awhile before I use that again. Maybe someday I will need that again. I did not use it a whole lot.

I do mine the way everyone's eyeballs are going to pop out:

I make tester jars in 1 pound batches so I measure out 1 pound of wax - melt in presto and then I just pour from my presto into a warmed pour pot- the temp does not drop on me this way and no ladles and no messy drips everywhere

While I am adding my FO and stirring I have another 1 pound melting and when that's done I do the same- poor directly from presto into warmed pour pot

I have 4 pour pots at the moment so I can pour 4 different fragrances back to back this way- my wax I have to drop to 100 so while I wait on that for all 4 fragrances I wick my warmed jars

I have read threads that this is a disaster waiting to happen but knock on wood I have never dumped yet and to me it's so fast and less "steps" involved- my patience would wear right out if I had to keep transferring and ladling

I learned this is the easiest for me:

I have 4 Prestos & keep them filled with the 4 waxes I use.

Heat Presto to 190.

2 burner on low & keep pour pot on it.

Scale is directly next to Presto.

Weigh PP, tare out, ladle in needed amt. of wax. I have spigots attached, but since only testing it's easier to ladle. Can't figure out what to use to make marks in PP to designate Ozs or LBs. Tried markers & scratches, not good.

Tare out PP & wax.

Add dye & FO, stir, stir.

Pour.

Wax is ready in PP to make another tester. No waiting, especially when I pour 2oz votive jar testers.

Edited by ChandlerWicks

I just keep my presto full of ready warmed wax, ladle out what I need into a container that is sitting on a tared out scale, take it off the scale, put in fo, stir and go.

When I was just running one pot, I'd refill it when it go down to about 1/4 that way the already hot wax would help the other melt.

Usually I have three pots warm, filled and ready to go at a time.

I just keep my presto full of ready warmed wax, ladle out what I need into a container that is sitting on a tared out scale, take it off the scale, put in fo, stir and go.

This is what do as well. My process is for tarts, not candles.

I have 2 identical "old school" amber colored pyrex saucepans with pouring spouts. I keep one on the "warm zone" on my stove. After filling, adding FO, stirring and pouring, I wipe it out with paper towels (simple because it is glass) and back on the warm zone it goes as the other that is now warm gets booted from the warm zone and moved to the scale. The process is repeated as many times I need.