FO's in a sprayer?

EricofAZ

I'm considering the purchase of a bunch of 2 oz fine mist sprayers and loading them with FO that I have here (excess). Been doing that for the bathroom and its way better and stronger than any bathroom sprays in the store.

So are there any safety concerns? Someone suggested that they need to be cut but I really don't want to do that. I want the "concentrated" or some such marketing idea that conveys that the spray is strong and uncut.

What should I be concerned about when making these for others?

Thanks.

I wouldn't spray concentrated oils into the air. First, as already mentioned, the FO's have a tendency to warp and distort plastics used in typical packaging. Second is safety. Oils won't atomize properly in the air without something volatile to carry them properly and should not be breathed in or applied to skin 'neat' anyway. Third, is that undiluted oils can and do eat away at other things they are applied to. And stain. And cause other physical damage to surfaces. Usage rates for the various applications are published for a reason. Even though someone sprays scent in the air, some ends up on the skin and hair of the user. It would be pretty irresponsible for a seller to offer a product that is in direct opposition to manufacturer recommendations.

A dropper to add diluted scent to potpourri or some other fixed object is a better way to use a more concentrated fragrance. Even then I'd not sell the fragrance uncut to the general public. These are professional chemicals that if misused can cause real harm. I know for a fact that people apply potpourri oils to their skin as a cheap perfume because I have seen with my own disbelieving eyes. No way in heck I'd want to put a product like that out.

If you're trying to make a scented air freshener spray, they make solutions for that. You'll probably find them discussed in the wickless forum, and I think mine came from The Candle Source. Just mixing FO up in water might work, probably at a low concentration like TallTayl alluded to. I've got some stinky FO (smells like urinal cake; no joke, and it came from the supplier like that) that I've been using to swab out the toilet with, because that's all it's good for.

You'll need at least an emulsifier and water. Polysorbate20 will work in a pinch. Cyclomethicone works with some fragrances but may leave residue. Lots of places sell the air freshener bases. NG has an odor eliminator base that I've heard works well with all but bakery scents.

I'd save DPG for use with potpourri liquid and incense. It's too thick to spray well and will form a film on surfaces.

Room spray, I use to make my own.

For an 8 oz bottle: 1/2 oz FO & 1/2 oz Polysorbate 80, shake, 3.5 of distilled water & 3.5 alcohol 91%. I have some spray bottles that came with sprayers, the sprayers do not stand up to FO, even when diluted.

So check before you buy. All the rest of my sprayers work fine. Most have been bought from Majestic Mountain Sage.