HT too strong

Guest OldGlory

Guest OldGlory

No doubt I have candlemaker's nose after 11 straight years of making scented products in my home. I have to use testers. Once in a while I hear "This fragrance is too strong" and it throws me for a loop. Considering that my tester might have a very sensitive nose, or a small house, or ??, what do you all do when someone tells you one of your candles is too strong? Just chalk it up to individual sensitivities, and give it to someone else to test? Scale back on your FO? :shocked2:

Hate to play devil's advocate, as I too have become 'hard of smelling' over the years from overexposure to fragrance... Yet I cannot walk past the detergent aisle in a grocery store without a fragrance induced headache and some difficulty breathing.

I have candles that induce that same reaction. Some scents are indeed too 'strong'. Some fragrances have components that give people instant headaches when lit. These lovingly hand made candles are now sitting collecting dust. I'd be hesitant to light one from that same company, let alone actually part with money to obtain another of a different fragrance.

In the case of the OP, I'd not rest the future success of my line on the feedback of ONE tester, but I'd take note for sure. I WOULD have multiple testers and look for trends. As you watch sales trends, which are re-purchased while others sell ok-great at first but languish quickly.

Regardless of whether you have candle nose or not, one thing is for absolute certain -- you will NEVER please everyone! Some prefer a light throw, some prefer a strong throw. Some have small living spaces, some live in big houses. You could have 20 testers for the same candle and you'll more than likely get 20 different reviews. At the end of the day, the candles you make and sell simply need to meet YOUR standards. Some will love them and some won't, but if you spend extra time trying to appease everyone's taste ... well, good luck with that ;-)

Personally, I don't care for fragrance so strong that it steals all the oxygen in the room. A candle should be a background fragrance that kind of steals up on you and makes you realize theirs something good in the air. A Votivo red currant 7 oz candle will fill up an entire house while it burns but at some time you have to blow the dang thing out to get a break and then the fragrance lingers for a good long while. I like to test candles at work and someone comes in and inquires about the fragrance and nobody in the office complains or asks me to blow it out. I feel good about a product that has a wonderful ct and a subtle ht but there are customers who tell me up front that they want "the stronger the better". Maybe that have multiple cat boxes or their noses are completely dead but that's what I give them.

Steve

Regardless of whether you have candle nose or not, one thing is for absolute certain -- you will NEVER please everyone! Some prefer a light throw, some prefer a strong throw. Some have small living spaces, some live in big houses. You could have 20 testers for the same candle and you'll more than likely get 20 different reviews. At the end of the day, the candles you make and sell simply need to meet YOUR standards. Some will love them and some won't, but if you spend extra time trying to appease everyone's taste ... well, good luck with that ;-)

Well put.

Guest OldGlory

Thanks for all the opinions! I've read them all twice, and I do so appreciate the time and thought put into your responses.

The wax used was 464, FO at <6%, Premier wick. Tester likes the scent, just has to stop burning it fairly soon after lighting. Not good.

This is the second year one of my wholesale customers has ordered this custom fragrance combination which is 2.5 oz Pumpkin Cheesecake (BCS), .5 oz Butter Rum Allspice (BCN) and .5 oz Pumpkin Spice (BCN) in 4 lbs of 464 wax.

Again, thanks folks!