Testing & Info recording suggestions?

QTsmum

I know that you have to test the hell out of your candles, and I fully intend on doing so. I was just wondering how you all start? How do you begin recording info to keep it organized as well?

I just got a bunch of supplies in today and I'm excited to make my first candle, but I want to make sure I don't miss anything important. I don't want to make an exploding candle, and even more importantly, I don't want to make an exploding candle twice!!!!

Anyone have a template or anything (showing which points you write down while 'cooking')?

Do you make multiple candles from the same batch and try different wicks immediately or do you burn 1 wick and see how well that one performs first?

I have jelly jars (125, 250 and 500 mls) as well as some hexagon jars from the online shop.

I just want to make it as 'easy' as possible (and I don't mean EASY, but efficient, I guess is a better term!) and not have to re-melt wax when I could have just poured it to begin with. Do I even make sense??! LOL!

Anyways..forgive me for my completely basic question. I'm sure it'll all come together when I'm actually hands on, but I'm nervous to actually GET hands on without knowing, kwim?! Vicious circle!

I plan on melting tomorrow. EEEP!

ETA: And, I just (re-read) this:

Q. Why do you pour your tester container candles wickless?

A. When testing, it is best to pour wickless. When the candle cools completely, take a skewer or knitting needle and poke a hole down the middle where the wick will go. Take the wick that you want to test, pop it out of its tab, and stick it down in the hole. Go back with a heat gun and zap the hole to fill it in. If you begin testing the wick and don't like the way it is burning, simply pop the wick out and put another one in.

That's pretty cool!

Edited by QTsmum

On new stuff, I actually pour 2 candles. I take and burn one for wick testing, and if it comes out OK (most do by now, because I have a pretty decent guess on where to start with it, depending on my FO/wax combo), I either burn the second one myself or have a very close local friend burn it to test for scent throw. She's a lot more picky on how strong it should be than I am, but I find myself overwhelmed at times with a "too strong" candle, too.

I would be sure to write down what wick you used, what % of FO, the color formula you used, all at the top of your testing sheet. Color is important if you are using something that has a strange shade, or a "light pink" or "dark pink" so you remember how much color you used per pound or ounce.

As for cooking, I melt the wax, add additives if I use them, then FO when it gets up to the correct temp for it, then I color after I'm sure the FO has been incorporated entirely. Also, during your testing, if you are testing more than one, leave plenty of space between them. If you have them crowded very close, they can burn differently, and you risk excess heat in that area.

As for how I record it, I have a composition book that is strictly for testing notes. Hit the office supply stores or walmart right about now to get some cheaply. I have colored sticky notes that I cut up to use as bookmarks for certain candle types, or certain fragrance oils that have given me trouble in the past, especially if they need something very specific. For example, one of my vanilla fragrance oils, I have to use a different wick series than is normal in certain jars, and I have to use more vybar in certain waxes to use it, and so the wick had to compensate for that, too.

Sorry if I overloaded you with info!

I'm only new to making candles, so my note taking is probably very low tech compared to the experts.

I use a notepad to write the details of each candle - wax, scent, wick, colour, how much wax the jar / mold holds etc. I also write the time of every test burn so I can keep track of how long it actually burns for, and notes on appearance after every burn.

If I've stuffed up the wick and I need to change I rule a line across the page, write in the new wick and start over.

When I get the results I want, I test burn another from scratch (with the same specs) to be sure it's all happening right, then type up the winning formula. I keep a copy on the computer, and print a copy for the "OMG this candle actually worked" folder.

My folder currently only has 4 "recipe's" in it lol.

I also found it helpful to pour 2 test candles if you use wax that needs curing time. I realised very quickly when I was starting out that when you are *almost* on a winner (or so far wrong you have to question if you were actually awake when you selected a wick), it sucks to have to wait 1-2 weeks for curing to try the next idea.

Looking back my first tests were all over the place and I ended up with many wonky burning candles and no real vision forward.

In the very beginning I would pick ONE jar that you like. ONE wax to begin with and 4 to 6 of the wick types that you read may work with your wax. For instance, pick one wax, but a selection of LX, CD, HTP, Cotton Core, Zinc wicks. Do some reading to see which size of each wick would be the starting point in your chosen jar.

Then, get 6 jars and set the wicks, mark each jar at that moment so you know which wick is which. Then pour all the candles at one time with one pour. Get out your trusty Wal-Mart notebook and write down the jar type, wax used, heated to what temperature, poured at what temperature. Use no fragrance and no color in this first test. Write down each wick used and leave room for burning notes. You can also make a note of weather, humidity (high or low is fine) and inside temp where you are pouring.

Okay, pour the candles, let set up 48 hours or so and find a safe place to burn all at them at once. I use the kitchen table. Make sure you trim all the wicks the same length since you want all factors equal. The only thing that is different is the wick.

Light up, mark down the time you lit them and then keep an eye on them. Every 30 minutes take a good look and see how they are burning, who is good, who isn't. Maybe move them around to the "doing well" side and the "eeeehhh" side. You can also buy a commercial made candle that is a similar size to yours and burn it along side to compare.

Make notes who is doing what as the candle burns. After three hours extinguish and let them set up. I like to test first thing in the morning so I can test again that evening.

Notes, notes, notes. It's nice to burn ALL the different wicks at once, that way you get a clear visual at how the wicks work and how they differ etc.

So, a week later you have a more clear vision of who is working in your wax. Now pick the top two and 4 more jars. Choose a color and fragrance and make 4 candles, two with two sizes of winner wick "A" and two with two sizes of winner wick "B". Mark your jars, set the wicks and make those candles. This time let them cure and start all over again. Since they have fragrance DON'T burn all at once, you may make yourself sick. Instead start in the morning, burn one for 3 hours and make notes as to fragrance throw etc. Extinguish candle one and light up candle two. Again make notes and burn for 3 hours. Do this through the day and compare each throw and make notes.

In the beginning I would NOT do the poke a hole and change wicks thing because you a.) need practice pouring with a wick and b.) need to learn the wicks in more burns than just one or two. Once you get to the point that you can guess on the first and second burn then you can test this way to save time.

While you are pouring, test tea lights with left over wax and then by the time you are done testing you will have jars and tea lights ready to go!! :)

Welcome.

Fantastic info! :) Exactly what I was hoping to get!

I will read and re-read this stuff. I'm waiting on my different wicks (I only got 1 type that would work with this wax in my kit) so maybe I'll try an unscented and a scented just to watch burn...because I cannot wait! LOL! But I would love to see how an unscented vs. a scented one burns differently!

Thanks so much! I can't wait to actually SEE what I am reading!

Whoo, just finished making my first batch. I couldn't wait. I needed to try it to see what it was actually like! house is still standing, so it wasn't all bad! LOL! I can't wait to get my wicks and actually test what works best. The house smells lovely, like 'Pumpkin Souffle'. I can't wait to see how it burns. I was able to make 3 125 ml jelly jars, 1 250 ml jelly jar and 3 tea lights from 1 lb of 4627.

It feels so overwhelming. Like everything happens so fast. I never really clued in that I could, you know, TURN DOWN THE BURNER to make it rise in temp slower.

The only thing that I can say, is to just get and try. The only way you can truly learn, is thru trial and error. You would not believe the first special designed candle (2 actually) I made. But I will keep them forever. It is always neat to show them and look back at where I was then, and look at where I am now! It is really neat!! Good luck!

It was quite fun! I just want to do another batch with some of the other paraffin (the non-gooey stuff!) that I have! I really over bought fragrances (I have approximately a bajillion coming, LOL!) so at least I'll have lots to experiment with! From different places too, so we'll see how they stack up. I'm in Canada, so you have to buy more to make it actually WORTH the ridiculous shipping rates!

I cannot wait to burn one! I'm like a kid on Christmas morning! The cold throw is pretty awesome and the colour is quite pumpkin-esque!

I agree. I did not know that "over buying" could go in the same sentence as FO! haha!

I am a spreadsheet girl. I do not make candles, only melts, so I have far fewer variables than those of you who make candles. I know there are many here who have notebooks full of testing data that could be auctioned for a million dollars!

I have a spreadsheet for FOs as well. I like that I can neatly add to and edit each field. I can sort it to as needed or if I am just curious.

Spreadsheets for some, notebooks for others. It is really all about good documentation.

I am also a labeler. This is a pic of some bulk bags of melts. I label the date, FO scent and source and wax type(s) and source. Certainly you likely do the same with candles.

Today I am trying a new wax. Yesterday I made 2 batches with my stand-by wax combo so today I will make exactly the same (same two FO's, same measurements, temps, molds, etc.) but introducing the new wax. That way in a couple of days I can test them head to head. If they were not labeled I would not be able to remember which was which.

All the best in your testing! It can be frustrating but it will be worth it!

post-14519-139458502585_thumb.jpg

Edited by justajesuschick

QTsmum, you simply cannot "overbuy" FOs; it just doesn't happen in the world of addicts... oops, excuse me, did I say "addicts"? I meant, chandlers, hehehe.

Coco Chanel once said that a woman cannot be too thin or too rich; not sure I agree with her, but if she'd said that a woman cannot have too many FOs, I'd agree with her 100%!

Stick around, QTsmum; we're the supreme FOs enablers! :cheesy2:

Edited by Ravens
typo

Hehe, I agree, there's at least 50 more I could have bought!!

The hot throw on my candle was amazing!! For a tiny jelly jar, it scented my entire house as easily as a B&BW 3wick does! Impressive! I think I need a bigger wick though, since I Failed to get a full melt. It's funny because I've had candles act this way (store bought) but I just never related the term until I saw my own act up!

I cannot wait to create my own scents!

The MP might catch up toward the end of the jar. I prolonged my testing because of pulling wicks out too soon, thought I needed a full MP at the beginning. Since you have good HT, I would leave that wick in until the very end.

Never judge a wick until AFTER the third full burn.

So say us all?

The 2nd burn was sad, the MP was tiny. I'll be patient and burn again, but I'm thinking I have to wick up.

The other jar (I used a different wick, I have the info in my binder, but I'm too comfy to go look!) which is the larger jar, I think the wick is too big. The wick mushroomed really fast and I had a full melt pool by the half hour mark. (and it was getting deep) In my candle burning experience, it seems too quick, no? I'm used to burning larger (IE: B&BW 3 wicks) candles, so I cannot say for sure, but it seemed too quick. I didn't let it burn the full 4 hours because I was worried! :o

My candles smell freakin' awesome though. Wow. I smell them through out the house and they're not even burning! Amazing the difference in scent power compared to my previously mentioned favourite candle seller!!!

Looking back my first tests were all over the place and I ended up with many wonky burning candles and no real vision forward.

In the very beginning I would pick ONE jar that you like. ONE wax to begin with and 4 to 6 of the wick types that you read may work with your wax. For instance, pick one wax, but a selection of LX, CD, HTP, Cotton Core, Zinc wicks. Do some reading to see which size of each wick would be the starting point in your chosen jar.

Then, get 6 jars and set the wicks, mark each jar at that moment so you know which wick is which. Then pour all the candles at one time with one pour. Get out your trusty Wal-Mart notebook and write down the jar type, wax used, heated to what temperature, poured at what temperature. Use no fragrance and no color in this first test. Write down each wick used and leave room for burning notes. You can also make a note of weather, humidity (high or low is fine) and inside temp where you are pouring.

Okay, pour the candles, let set up 48 hours or so and find a safe place to burn all at them at once. I use the kitchen table. Make sure you trim all the wicks the same length since you want all factors equal. The only thing that is different is the wick.

Light up, mark down the time you lit them and then keep an eye on them. Every 30 minutes take a good look and see how they are burning, who is good, who isn't. Maybe move them around to the "doing well" side and the "eeeehhh" side. You can also buy a commercial made candle that is a similar size to yours and burn it along side to compare.

Make notes who is doing what as the candle burns. After three hours extinguish and let them set up. I like to test first thing in the morning so I can test again that evening.

Notes, notes, notes. It's nice to burn ALL the different wicks at once, that way you get a clear visual at how the wicks work and how they differ etc.

So, a week later you have a more clear vision of who is working in your wax. Now pick the top two and 4 more jars. Choose a color and fragrance and make 4 candles, two with two sizes of winner wick "A" and two with two sizes of winner wick "B". Mark your jars, set the wicks and make those candles. This time let them cure and start all over again. Since they have fragrance DON'T burn all at once, you may make yourself sick. Instead start in the morning, burn one for 3 hours and make notes as to fragrance throw etc. Extinguish candle one and light up candle two. Again make notes and burn for 3 hours. Do this through the day and compare each throw and make notes.

In the beginning I would NOT do the poke a hole and change wicks thing because you a.) need practice pouring with a wick and b.) need to learn the wicks in more burns than just one or two. Once you get to the point that you can guess on the first and second burn then you can test this way to save time.

While you are pouring, test tea lights with left over wax and then by the time you are done testing you will have jars and tea lights ready to go!! :)

Welcome.

Great plan of action for a beginner! I will definitely try this route. Going into this I never thought there were so many different wick types and what a difference they would make! So many variables with candle making.

Oh yeah, that smaller jar totally drown!

I had to run my baby to the ER (I had lit the small candle) and when I got home, the large jar was burning...I was so confused since I was sure I was doing my final test (I knew it was going to drown out) on the small candle. I asked DH and he lit the big one because the other one went out! I was like "ummmm....I'm supposed to be testing those, and watching and making notes!" LOL! C'est la vie. It looks to be burning nicely.

What are signs of too big of a wick?

What are signs of too big of a wick?

A big wick will do one of two things (in my personal experience so far). Either it burns with a strong flame and then consumes the wax so fast that it never reaches a melt pool to the sides of the jar. OR it burns with a HUGE flame that wisps smoke everywhere.