4627 leaving film on the jar

I'm testing 4627 in the regular mouth pint Ball mason with HTP 93 wick and 7.5% FO load of CS Hazelnut Coffee, and no dye. I've noticed 4627 leaves a film on my jelly jars and Libbey Elemental jars too, but in those jars the film on the sides didn't remain for as long and the candle was cleaning the sides of the jar completely, after a point. In this Ball jar, though, the wax is below the halfway mark, but there's an inch-and-a-half high band of very thin wax film above it! lol I can't wick up to the HTP 104, that was way too big and very smokey. Is this acceptable? Would a customer dislike this? It is not pretty! lol Do you have the same problem with 4627?

But the HT has been great and a very nice burn so far. If customers won't like this film on the sides, maybe I should start working on a different jar?

Edited by HorsescentS

A little confused by your description, it the band an inch and a half thick or high? If thick, then it's hang up and if it is to side side, then we have uneven heat (twist the wick). If it's just a very thin film (residue), some ingredient in the wax is not burning off and would be a harder fix.

A little confused by your description, it the band an inch and a half thick or high? If thick, then it's hang up and if it is to side side, then we have uneven heat (twist the wick). If it's just a very thin film (residue), some ingredient in the wax is not burning off and would be a harder fix.

No, it's a thin film an inch-and-a-half high. I'll edit my post to say "high" instead of thick. There's no hangup. I twisted the wick.

No, it's a thin film an inch-and-a-half high. I'll edit my post to say "high" instead of thick. There's no hangup. I twisted the wick.

Then it's something in the wax and if you already have the hottest wick I don't know what to suggest. Maybe it will disappear at the last third if you haven't gotten there yet. Sorry.

Then it's something in the wax and if you already have the hottest wick I don't know what to suggest. Maybe it will disappear at the last third if you haven't gotten there yet. Sorry.

I was afraid there's nothing to be done. :( I think the CD wicks burn a bit hotter than the corresponding HTP's, although they're essentially the same; so maybe I can try a CD. I think it will clean the sides as it burns down to the bottom, but would a customer want to wait that long to see the film cleaned from the sides?

I was afraid there's nothing to be done. :( I think the CD wicks burn a bit hotter than the corresponding HTP's, although they're essentially the same; so maybe I can try a CD. I think it will clean the sides as it burns down to the bottom, but would a customer want to wait that long to see the film cleaned from the sides?

People who burn soy candles don't seen to mind residue and I think we stare at our candles a lot me than some customers do.

And, yes, try the CD wick for a slightly hotter burn.

Edited by rjdaines

As a buyer it was the HT that mattered. Could it be with the thickness of the jar, the 93 is just not building enough heat to bring it down? If you have enough wax, try 6%FO & a 104 & see how it does. Might burn cleaner. I think that is a strong FO to begin with, maybe, maybe?

Wouldn't the thickness of the jar build more heat than a thinner jar?

I'm afraid cutting down to 6% FO load would decrease the HT, right?

I think the HTP 104 is really too big and hot for that jar, even if there's no smoke. I could try, though.

Jar thickness might work in two ways. A thin jar will not absorb as much heat as a thick jar so it would heat up and cool down quicker. You'd get a faster MP with a thin jar but external temps might affect it more. A thicker jar will absorb and retain the heat better but be slower at reaching it's final temp. Slower forming MPs, slower cool down but less affected by room temp. Just the way I look at it.

Jar thickness might work in two ways. A thin jar will not absorb as much heat as a thick jar so it would heat up and cool down quicker. You'd get a faster MP with a thin jar but external temps might affect it more. A thicker jar will absorb and retain the heat better but be slower at reaching it's final temp. Slower forming MPs, slower cool down but less affected by room temp. Just the way I look at it.

Interesting! Well, it sounds like the best thing to try next is the corresponding size in a CD which burns a bit hotter. In the mean time, I'm going to try the same HTP 93 wick in that jar with some other FO's and see what they do.

I'm kinda thinking because the jar is so thick the 93 is not creating enough heat to penetrate the thick walls? If they are thicker wouldn't it take more heat from a larger wick to heat them up. Sorry HS I wish I was a wizard with words!

I'm wondering if the 104 would just burn cleaner with less FO% & heat up jar better to make the film come down.

Wouldn't the thickness of the jar build more heat than a thinner jar?

It's worth trying if you have the wax & time. Just to see if that film will go.

I'm afraid cutting down to 6% FO load would decrease the HT, right?

I think the HTP 104 is really too big and hot for that jar, even if there's no smoke. I could try, though.

Edited by ChandlerWicks

Yeah what he said. This is what I was trying to say.

I'm kinda thinking because the jar is so thick the 93 is not creating enough heat to penetrate the thick walls? If they are thicker wouldn't it take more heat from a larger wick to heat them up. Sorry HS I wish I was a wizard with words!

I'm wondering if the 104 would just burn cleaner with less FO% & heat up jar better to make the film come down.

The flame on the HTP 104 is just too big and hot for that jar, and maybe the smoke was caused by the extra heat creating more of a chimney effect.

The CD wicks are good for using in between the HTP wick sizes, when one is a bit under-wicked but the next size up would be over-wicked. They're essentially the same wick, but HTP is made in the USA and CD is made in Germany, and the CD burns just a bit hotter than the same size in the HTP.

Edited by HorsescentS

Is the glass of the Libbey jar thinner? If it is, they may get hotter than the Ball jar glass which would help with that slime. Some wax will leave more slime than others and the 4627 is one of them. The Clarus 70/30 can as well, especially since it has soy in it. Sometimes, if everything else is going great, you gotta let go of some of the imperfections that is almost impossible to fix.

Is the glass of the Libbey jar thinner? If it is, they may get hotter than the Ball jar glass which would help with that slime. Some wax will leave more slime than others and the 4627 is one of them. The Clarus 70/30 can as well, especially since it has soy in it. Sometimes, if everything else is going great, you gotta let go of some of the imperfections that is almost impossible to fix.

The Libbey Elemental jar is thinner glass, but it has a lip, so it looks like a little apothecary jar.

The Libbey Elemental jar is thinner glass, but it has a lip, so it looks like a little apothecary jar.

It could the type of glass then that may be causing it to leave more slime. Not totally sure. You would think though that since the Ball jar is narrower it would help counteract the type of glass...thicker vs. thin or a different texture.

It could the type of glass then that may be causing it to leave more slime. Not totally sure. You would think though that since the Ball jar is narrower it would help counteract the type of glass...thicker vs. thin or a different texture.

What I don't understand is, why there's still slime on the jar when it's so hot after me power burning it all day, that even though I can pick up the jar and hold it, it's a bit painful to hold. lol The band of slime is 2" high, and the level of wax is below 1/3 of the jar.

Edited by HorsescentS