Testing help!!!!

What wax type IGI 4636 (J50)

What Wick types you have tried -Zinc 51-32-18 6"

What FO Secret Waterfall, Cedar, Vanilla Bean, Grandpa's Garden, Apple Cinnamon, Fudge Brownie, Apple Creek (different wax wont use again), Berry Breeze (different wax wont use again)

What % FO 1oz/LB

What size candle - 6.5oz hex jar

What additives are you using None

Edited by candlesbyadam

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's best to include the diameter of the container too.

So, the one you were testing - is the jar hot? How's the hot throw?

The jar is a little warm/hot to the touch. the throw was good.

Here is my jar info:

Classic Jar 6.5oz

Height: 3.375"

Base Diameter: 2.625"

Widest Diameter: 2.625"

Top Diameter: 2.625"

Wax Capacity (to fill line): 5.2 oz

Wax Capacity (Overflow): 6.4 oz

JMHO - but, I think you need to start a test with a full jar. At that diameter, burn it for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours for the first burn. Then post your results. While the info you gave on the jar you were testing seemed to be within range, you can't really tell how the end of a candle will burn without burning the top part off.

JMHO - but, I think you need to start a test with a full jar. At that diameter, burn it for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours for the first burn. Then post your results. While the info you gave on the jar you were testing seemed to be within range, you can't really tell how the end of a candle will burn without burning the top part off.

What does JMHO mean?

It is currently 10:42a here. At 11a I will start a full size candle. I will try to post pix.

Edited by candlesbyadam

Just My Humble Opinion :grin2:

look forward to seeing the pics..

ksranch,

Again I'm sorry for the way I came off yesterday. I just recently lost my job last week and I spent part of my last check on supplies with HIGH HOPES that I would be able to sell them, make some kind of money then buy more supplies. To be honest, I did very little research and I figured that by buying a kit everything should work out fine. Then posting on here and getting "Chewed out" by some (not all) it just wasn't a good combo. I have since took down my site and Facebook page. I hope I can find a job soon so I can continue. I will work on testing Every scent. I really appreciate your feedback and your help. I guess thats why it says im a "Wax Drip" under my username. lol

Edited by candlesbyadam

Not to worry (and btw, we were all Wax Drips once upon a time). The reason it came off wrong was because as you are learning now, there is so much more to making candles than one thinks. Safety is the main concern, and why when experienced candle makers hear that someone with a kit is going to sell what they made, it is upsetting. Think about it, if you sold one and it was faulty and burned someone's house down.. well, enough said. We are just glad to see you are now willing to learn the ropes, and do the testing before taking any chances. While you are testing, you can use the time to do research. About not only making candles, but licensing and insurance. Hope things look up for you soon job wise, it is a very bad time for many right now.

FIRST OFFICIAL TEST BURN!

What wax type IGI 4636 (J50)

What Wick types you have tried -Zinc 51-32-18 6"

What FO Apple Cinnamon

What % FO 1oz/LB

What size candle - 6.5oz hex jar

What additives are you using None

Classic Jar 6.5oz

Height: 3.375"

Base Diameter: 2.625"

Widest Diameter: 2.625"

Top Diameter: 2.625"

Wax Capacity (to fill line): 5.2 oz

Wax Capacity (Overflow): 6.4 oz

Candle was lit at 11am EST, Pic are of the candle before I lit it.

30 min Update: I left the house shortly after I lit the candle in my room (Somebody was home). when I came back I could smell the Apple Cinnamon as soon as I walked in the door on the opposite side of the house from my bedroom. :)

post-14720-139458502428_thumb.jpg

post-14720-139458502444_thumb.jpg

Edited by candlesbyadam

Yikes! That wick is toooo big for that jar! You shouldn't have that melt pool from one hour on the first burn. (IMO)

I can't PM (private msg) you because you are too new - is there an email addy I can email you - I could send you a bit of the zinc 44 size to try in this jar...

The wick is what came with the kit.

Understood. But, unfortunately, there isn't one size fits all. Example, using my system (conditions; altitude,humidity, etc plus my "way" of doing things; wax temp, pour temp, etc) a LX 12 might work well - but it by no means it will work the same for you. The more you read on this board, the more examples of this you will find. There a couple members that are often testing a different wax/wick combination and even though two of them are using the same "ingrediants" they get different results...

With that melt pool that early - that jar is going to be way too hot to be safe...

So I posted under "Business side of things" and I got replies that I need to do testing. Ive searched the forum but nothing looked useful to me and i'm not going to spend all day and night searching (sorry Beth). SO can somebody PLEASE tell me about this "testing". I've burned some candles that i've made and they seem fine.

What do I need to look for? How long do I need to test/burn it? How do I know what needs changed? How do I know if I have the "PERFECT" mix? I'm 10000% need at this and i'm clueless. I don't have all the time in the world to search and read through these.

Somebody PLEASE help

ROFL, sorry Adam but your post made me LOL. Like everything else in life, there are no shortcuts to candle making. It is an expensive hobby and there is no way to by pass research, development or testing.

When you're test burning your candles, make sure they're in the same room as the person who is watching them. Have a pot lid or flat metal baking sheet ready to smother the candle if it catches on fire. Never try to extinguish with water or a big explosion will happen. A fire extinguisher that works for grease fires is good to keep on hand, or a big box of baking soda or corn starch, in case you don't use a flat pan or pot lid.

I'm surprised you could smell the HT (hot throw) from that far away with just 1 oz of FF p.p. of wax. That's good!

When you're test burning your candles, make sure they're in the same room as the person who is watching them. Have a pot lid or flat metal baking sheet ready to smother the candle if it catches on fire. Never try to extinguish with water or a big explosion will happen. A fire extinguisher that works for grease fires is good to keep on hand, or a big box of baking soda or corn starch, in case you don't use a flat pan or pot lid.

I'm surprised you could smell the HT (hot throw) from that far away with just 1 oz of FF p.p. of wax. That's good!

dont know what FF and p.p. means. but the MP was bad....From what ive been told

dont know what FF and p.p. means. but the MP was bad....From what ive been told

Geez, did I type "FF"? What was I thinking! That was a typo. HT = hot throw, CT = cold throw, p.p. = per pound, FO = fragrance oil, and you're right, your MP was ridiculously huge and deep after only 1 hour! But, I bet it's because you didn't trim the wick to 1/4" before starting your test. You'll probably find that with some FO and dye combos the 51z (51 zinc wick) works perfect, and for other FO and dye combos you'll need to wick down to a 44z.