What to get at an Amish Bulk Food Store?

Judy, USMC

I'll be going back to North Carolina through Amish country. Shipshewana has a bulk food store with absolutely tons of various items. Some of the things I saw I know what they would be used for:

Epsom salts for bath salts

Baking soda & Cornstarch for carpet deodorizers

Pomace olive oil for soaping

So if you had the opportunity to buy in bulk what would you get and what type of product would you use it for?

(ETA: I'd give you a link to the store - but it's Amish and I couldn't find one!)

Edited by Judy, USMC

I love shopping at the Amish store!! We own a cabin about 2 hours from home and there is a nice bulk foods store close to there. We usually take a day to go shopping while the men are hunting, although I have never really looked for candlemaking supplies up there, I stock up on tons of foods, and their cheeses are the best!

I love shopping at the Amish store!! We own a cabin about 2 hours from home and there is a nice bulk foods store close to there. We usually take a day to go shopping while the men are hunting, although I have never really looked for candlemaking supplies up there, I stock up on tons of foods, and their cheeses are the best!

Their butter is awesome too. Green bean chips, veggie chips, recipe books, home remedy books, bottled home remedies, cashew brittle, coconut cream pie filling, pie crust shells, their official T-shirt...

Edited by HorsescentS

their official T-shirt...

I can't believe I missed the official T-Shirt :(... I buy some filling that is Raspberry, and I use it to make Peanut Butter and Jelly cookies!! They are soooo good! I love their spice mixes too, and cider, DH loves the blueberry. Now I am patiently waiting hunting season so I can get up there and do some shopping!!

I can't believe I missed the official T-Shirt :(... I buy some filling that is Raspberry, and I use it to make Peanut Butter and Jelly cookies!! They are soooo good! I love their spice mixes too, and cider, DH loves the blueberry. Now I am patiently waiting hunting season so I can get up there and do some shopping!!

Oh, yes! All their flavored ciders are fantastic! I go to an Amish store that's also a restaurant, and always order the ciders. It started out as a candle shop on yucky-looking highway, then it got fudge, then it started selling some Amish items, next thing ya know it's a little restaurant, and soon became a big, very busy restaurant with fudge and only flower pot votive candles, since the candle line wasn't that profitable, I guess.

There is a little Amish store not far from me. That is where I buy a lot of basic groceries, bulk spices, colored sugars and sprinkles for baking. We really love raw sugar, and the prices in the market are a bit steep, but they sell it in bulk. It is granulated and medium to dark brown. I love it sprinkled on shortbread cookies, hubbie loves it for his coffee.

I also buy bulk pastas, oatmeal, pastry flour, dried fruits. Mostly pantry staples. They sell things from their garden seasonally.

We moved 10 years ago from Lancaster County, Pa. Boy, do I miss the Amish markets from out there !!!

Guess I wasn't too clear in my first post. I do have my personal grocery list started - but it's so much more fun to walk the aisles and just grab what looks good to eat! Got the cooler for the cheese and will nibble on chips during the ride!

I've been wanting to get into B&B for years now and, through a generous gift, have the materials to make CP/HP soap. So I wanted to get recommendations on what to buy to make or add to products.

Love the sugar idea - my first thought was sugar scrubs.

Oatmeal got my interest too. Wonder which type (if any) would be good to add to soap for exfoliation?

Welcome any ideas. TIA

Guess I wasn't too clear in my first post. I do have my personal grocery list started - but it's so much more fun to walk the aisles and just grab what looks good to eat! Got the cooler for the cheese and will nibble on chips during the ride!

I've been wanting to get into B&B for years now and, through a generous gift, have the materials to make CP/HP soap. So I wanted to get recommendations on what to buy to make or add to products.

Love the sugar idea - my first thought was sugar scrubs.

Oatmeal got my interest too. Wonder which type (if any) would be good to add to soap for exfoliation?

Welcome any ideas. TIA

Almonds, honey, goats milk

Judy, up around shipshewana there are alot of the dented can grocery stores. Check online for directions. You can get olive oil really cheap at them.

Carol k - I found E&S Bulk Foods on 5 north of 20. That's the one I was at. My notes say the Pomace was $13.98/gal and expired 2/2014. It looks like the dented can stores were either in Goshen or South Bend. Goshen is do-able, thanks for that tip!

Edited by Judy, USMC
added info

http://frugaldivafrenzy.com/scratch-dent-stores/

Here is at least a partial list of stores I found. It might help some of you in other states.

Judy call this number & they will tell you about more stores in shipshewana 574-893-4223. This is the dented can store I go to. It's raber's kountry store.

Edited by carol k
added

http://frugaldivafrenzy.com/scratch-dent-stores/Here is at least a partial list of stores I found. It might help some of you in other states.

Judy call this number & they will tell you about more stores in shipshewana...

A HUGE Thank You, CarolK! I appreciate you going out of your way and taking the time to do this research. I'm sure it will be a help to a lot of us.

on pomace in cans - read the fine print very carefully on the can. All in metal cans that I have ever found were 10% pomace and 90% canola. I've had to go online to verify ingredients in some as the label was not clear on the ingredients inside.