Confused shipping from two suppliers

I don't know if I'm the one confused... or if the suppliers are.

Was just wondering if anyone else had ever ran into this :

I put 1 case of wax, and 2 16oz bottles of FO , (fo's are both in plastic )in two different suppliers carts. The suppliers were Cajun Candles, and Candle Science.

There was , by mapquest, 7 miles difference between my distance from one supplier to the other. I was in TN at the time.

The order from Cajun Candles, the shipping, was almost 20.00 MORE than the shipping quote from Candle Science.

Im confused. Can 7 miles, make THAT much difference ???

My ex explained it to me this way ( whether it's true or bs, I dunno ) but he said that shipping things NORTH , was more expensive, than shipping things SOUTH. ( gas usage I guess ).

Anyone ever heard of that?

(both were using the same carriers)

Good business practice is to negotiate with your shipping supplier for the best rates you can give your customer. Heck I even qualified for discounts by doing online shipping and I do not ship often. I think some suppliers work with us and some just say "they'll buy anyway".

When we order wax, we only order from one supplier because they have a contract with R&L Freight. We pay $130.00 (I think) per pallet, where all other wax suppliers charge at LEAST $225 per pallet, plus $75 for requesting a lift gate. Suppliers can't just negotiate a lower price btw; they get the lower prices by using the shipper a lot. It is an annual thing. If their dollar usage falls below a specified amount, their shipping price goes up; that way the freight company gets a dedicated company, and the shipper gets a lower price for their customers. UPS does the same thing. We have a contract with them. The more we ship weekly, the lower our shipping costs. One more thing. Handling. Lots of companies charge a handling fee. So much per order, an added percentage, or a flat amount.