body butter weight

ksranch

Included in my research before I try to make this, I've been snooping on Etsy, and I'm confused. From what I read about making this - about 2oz of it weight wise will fill a 4oz jar - please correct me if I'm wrong. So, some ads say "in a 4oz jar" - so shouldn't they be marked as 2oz for actual product weight? Other ads show jars marked 4oz - they sure look like 4oz jars.. Am I wrong and when it comes to B&B you don't go by actual product weight? ((I'm used to this with candles, sure it's a 12 oz jar, but only 9oz of wax in it)) :confused:

Most people whip their butters, leaving a lot of air space between the molecules of butters.

You are correct that it should be labeled by Net Wt, not volume of the container.

As a customer I was/would continue to be ticked if I received a partially full container of shea that deflated in transit.

As a maker, I don't whip choosing instead to give a full jar, and have some very very happy customers who will not look elsewhere. It makes my life so much easier not having to whip and jam butters into jars. The lowered labor more than makes up for the extra product in the jar.

If I've read the labeling requirements correctly, plus all the information here on the board, the label should indicate the actual net weight (or fluid ounces if a liquid). Don't know how they have it listed on their label, but probably just giving an idea of the jar size used for the product. My 4 oz jars hold 4 ounces of bath salts but only 2 ounces of bath milk. Kind of gives you a perspective.

hmm, good point. Right now I'm just wanting to make something for my DH - of coarse, if it works out I'll be looking at selling. But, that's what started me researching, and the whipped body butter caught my attention because it was pure butters & oils - less like lotion. So, if not the whipped - are you just making a "cream", and do you do it basically the same way without the whipping (I admit, not looking forward to that part) hmm... more researching for me! TY TallTayl

If I've read the labeling requirements correctly, plus all the information here on the board, the label should indicate the actual net weight (or fluid ounces if a liquid). Don't know how they have it listed on their label, but probably just giving an idea of the jar size used for the product. My 4 oz jars hold 4 ounces of bath salts but only 2 ounces of bath milk. Kind of gives you a perspective.

Okay, I've got it right then... the product on there just got me confused! Thanks!

I always put the exact weight of the butter in the container. My 8 oz container holds 8 oz of butter exactly and 12 oz of sugar scrub. People get very confused by this too because they see the same size jar. I'm going to have to change the scrub jar because of that :)