Confused about mold sizes

msalex28a

I recently purchase 3 wooden molds. 1,2 and 3 pounds. The 1 pound makes 4 bars, the 2 pounds makes 7 and the 3 pounds makes 10. Why do the larger molds make less? If I put the same recipe in it and just double it why do I get less bars? Sorry haven't made soap yet still gathering all my materials.

It probably has to do with the size of your finished bars. If you have the exact same size throughout the set (for example, if your bars are 1 inch thick, 2 inches tall and 3 inches wide), the recipe will make equivalent sizes throughout the set, and so you'd have the 3 lb mold making 3 times the amount of bars as the 1 lb mold. But if they are different sizes, they will be different weights, and so different amounts coming out of the molds as finished bars.

I recently purchase 3 wooden molds. 1,2 and 3 pounds. The 1 pound makes 4 bars, the 2 pounds makes 7 and the 3 pounds makes 10. Why do the larger molds make less? If I put the same recipe in it and just double it why do I get less bars? Sorry haven't made soap yet still gathering all my materials.

So is the estimate of the number of bars from someone's description then? Could be that they trim the ends from the logs as many do to keep the remaining soaps pretty. If all other dimensions are equal then that would make sense. A 1 lb log to me is a test batch. The resulting bars don't need to be pretty from end to end. Larger production batches must remain pretty to maximize sales and profit potential, so I trim. My larger molds compensate by adding an inch for the end slices.

When making larger batches of the same formula, I'd still run everything through a SAP calculator rather than just double or triple it. Formulations use rounding to arrive at the final quantities. Compounding rounding errors also changes the volumetric results.

The bigger the batch, as in the more lye required to saponify, the more evaporation of water you will have as the lye solution cools. That can change the ending volume more than you would think. To me, it's no bother. To some it is the difference of a level of soap in the mold.

Since I am starting out to make soap I wanted a one pounder to not waste oils with experimenting and getting feet wet. I did find a site that has a resizer calculator to I will try that. It just seemed I was putting in more oils but getting less slices.

I would run everything through a calculator. But was just confused that if I made a one pound batch I would get 4 bars but a 2 pound batch I would get 7 so I was curious if the bars were bigger since you get 1 less slice but doubled the oils.

They are log wooden molds.

Sorry if I'm not making sense.

The calculators are a guide, but not the end all be all of sizing. You also need to figure in water and other additives. MOlds are measured by the approximate volume of oils needed to make a batch to fill the mold. Since many oils have different values for specific gravity (meaning the volume will change slightly), none will be perfect every time.

A basic rule of thumb is to calculate length x width x height of the pour x .4

If you use a water discount then the .4 will decrease. With a little time and experience you'll be able to figure out exactly what fits.

In the meantime, if you have extra then keep some small molds around for the excess. Soon you'll have some nice embeds for future batches, etc.