Kinda first soap attempt

Buttsmom

Not my first since last week I did the craft store one, but my first this week with I'm hoping better ingredients:) I'm not overly happy with it and hoping for some feedback. The recipe I used called for 1 lb clear base, 1 tea Vit E, 1 teaspoon Vanilla and 1 1/2 tbs Brown Sugar. Well when I had it all poured I realized I used a 2 lb slab of the base, but didn't double the rest of the ingredients:( No problem I read many places I can remelt and fix, so I figured that would be today's project. I just took them out of the molds and tried some. It leaves my hands feeling kinda sticky until they dry and you can feel a slight residue afterwards. Is it the brown sugar? The clear base? The fact the ingredients aren't right? Hopefully here's a pic. The little hearts are a candy mold I found in the cupboard, the bars are from one of the bases I have got in so far.

post-14538-139458500569_thumb.jpg

The recipe called for 1 lb of base, I used 2 lbs. (by mistake) It lathers good, smell is kinda light. It leaves my hands feeling kinda sticky until they dry and you can feel a slight residue afterwards.

Instead of brown sugar which is a finer crystal, I'd use demerarra or turbinado sugar (& use less of it.) Those are scrubbier sugars than straight brown sugar & hold up a little better to the heat. :) Also, is that vanilla extract you are using? Does it add fragrance to the soap? I can't imagine it would add as much fragrance as a FO, unless you are trying to avoid using FO in your soap.....then I understand you using it. My vanilla extract is the most precious liquid in my house besides my liquor! LOL If it was me, I would use something else to fragrance my soap with & save the vanilla extract for baking cookies. :)

Edited by asheebeans

Also curious as to the vanilla. Was it a pure extract? Did you use any colorant? I'm always leery of adding too many things to clear base for fear of clouding/discoloration, unless it is desired. I do use vanilla bean seeds in opaque bases, but haven't tried it yet in clear.

Welcome to the junkie/addict club. Tonight was too damn warm to be creative, but I still had to get all my supplies out and play a little!

Thanks for the tip on the sugars, if I try a sugar soap again I'll remember that. The Vanilla was a FO, I guess I should have clarified that.

No I didn't add any colorant. I don't have any yet, that order I'm still waiting to get here.

Don't use turbinado sugar if you want a white or clear soap. Turbinado discolors soap.

Thanks for yet another tip. Looks like I should just avoid sugar:) I have to say I'm very happy with my B sugar soap now and have been using it in the shower.