Opinions on SFIC bases? low sweat vs. olive oil & castile

rachelb5499

So I've been testing out SFIC bases, and I really wanted to use the Low Sweat bases because I live in a pretty humid area and have experienced the sweat/crystals from other base testing AND from their basic white and clear bases, etc. Anyway, I have noticed a weird, slight burning sensation on my knuckles and a pretty "dry" feeling on my hands since using the low sweat bases. Other testers haven't had an issue, but another one experienced "itching" on her hands when using the base (which she gets as a result of dryness), another experienced feeling pretty dry afterwards, and I, too, recognize much more dryness compared to my CP soaps.

I'm curious if this is occurring because it's top, main ingredient is coconut oil which is the same with 75% of their bases. Has anyone noticed issues like these? Have you tried their Olive Oil and Castile bases and compared the results since their first, main ingredient is Olive Oil instead? I'm curious about your results and opinions on all SFIC bases but this comparison in particular in regards to the benefits/effects on skin. I know MP can be AWESOME for all the creativity you can do with it, etc. so can have its own totally different appeal from CP for those types of reasons, but from a skin benefit/feeling on skin, what bases have you chosen? What results have you seen, etc.? (I have their olive oil and castile bases to try myself. I just am curious what people's overall opinion and consensus is on the different bases, etc.)

Thanks in advance for your opinions, experienced advice, tips, and ideas!

This is a great question because I live in an extremely humid area also and wanted to try the low sweat bases, but I read they cause drying of the skin. I doubt if coconut oil would cause the problem because it's one of the best skin and hair moisturizers, and it's the main skin and hair moisturizer used in Tahiti. My daughter thinks it's the best thing she's ever used on her hair.

I've only used SFIC bases but have not tried OO or Castile. Have used clear, a lot of white and 10 lbs of GM. I have no problems with it on my body. In fact, I have a loaf I make for myself fragrance free. But I cannot use it on my face without it feeling very tight and dry afterward. The first couple batches of CP I made are one week away from a full cure with the Castile not being ready until December. I am using the CP Castile on my face and have no dryness or tightness at all. Also have tried the other CP soaps on my face and same thing...no dryness but the Castile leaves it a tad softer.

I know I didn't answer your questions fully except to say basically CP does not leave my face dry where M&P does. I should add that I put a lot of additives in all my M&P soaps to make them as conditioning as possible.

HTH and GL

I use the low sweat SFIC bases with some of Candybee's recipes - adding various things such as GM, shea, glycerin, castor oil - I don't have any problems with these being 'drying'. My DH 's dry skin issues have all but disappeared since using these soaps consistantly.

I have not tried the OO or castile, so I can't compare - just noting that we don't find the low sweat to be drying.

Edited by ksranch

I think the answers are going to vary across the board when dealing with skin where everyone is different. I also had the glycerin, shea, castor, GM, Evening Primrose and more in my base.

I didn't have any sweating problems. We are in WI and haven't hit the high humidity yet but being stored in a closet in the bathroom I think would produce enough humidity to make them sweat if they were going to.

Thanks, Everyone. I agree that answers will vary. I appreciate hearing everyone's opinions, tweaks, etc. I may just stick with my cold process. I love how it feels on my skin and am bummed about how SFIC low sweat has affected my knuckles. I went back to my cp for a bit now and will test out the olive oil base in a few days after my skin has hopefully recovered. Still interested to see what others' experiences/opinions are.

I love my SFIC soaps.. and so do my customers. I use a blend of low sweat clear and clear...I swirl my soaps with a bit of white (shea), plus I add some cocount oil and Castor just as some of the other soaps have mentioned.... From time to time I also add things like poppyseeds, ground rosemary, oatmesl.. etc.

I haven't had a problem with sweating, but I do wrap my soaps in clear coverings.

I have not used the Olive oil, nor Castile soaps and probably won't try them as I have a winning blend that I sell oodddles...

Coconut oil in soap adds great lather and has good conditioning. But too much CO can dry out skin and cause itching. If you make CP soap you know that a lot of soapers prefer not to use more than 25% CO in their soap recipes. A higher % and they can sometimes cause that dryness and itching. I don't know how much CO is in SFIC bases or any M&P base for that matter as the recipes are the manufacturer's guarded secrets. Check out the ingredients on the base you are using and if CO is near the top of the list you can bet its a higher % than the following ingredients.

If a base is causing dryness and itching it helps to counteract that with the addition of some soothing and or emollient additives like castor oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, honey, goat milk, etc. There are a lot of additives you can try to help with that. My favs are goat milk, castor oil, and shea butter.

Edited by Candybee

Candybee, that's what my thoughts were about the coconut oil as well. It's one of the TOP ingredients in SFIC's bases. You currently use EBC, don't you? If so, how does it respond to you adding things to it? Which base do you use, etc? I see you've joined us in the CP world as well. Your new CP soaps in the gallery are quite nice! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer C&S bases but also use SFIC, EBC's, WSP's, and the Chemistry Store. C&S takes additives the best IMO. Other bases not so much. With EBC I found you need to use additives to harden the soap and then liquid soap to keep the lather. Rediculous but necessary in some bases.

Right now I am only doing CP. I am hooked on it. Thanks for the compliment on my new soaps in the gallery. Its a lot of fun.