Goats milk with Honey

tamese

I tried just plan goats milk base with 32 oz. of base and 2 tbls of honey and it seems a little sticky. Not bad but I notice it. I added the same amount to another batch with other additives but it was not sticky. Any clue as to why this happened? I stirred it a good while so I thought it was mixed well. Should I just give it a few days? Will that help? Thanks in advance.

Did you make both batches from the same soap base, same lot, back to back at the same time, what was going on with the weather or the atmosphere in the house.

The reason I asked those, even though I'm extremely new to MP, I've noticed that any of the above things can definitely sway performance from one loaf or batch to the next.

I learned the hard way to make sure I knew what the weather was going to be like before I made a batch (it was 78 outside so I had the windows and doors open in the house.. but it started storming before I finished (it came up in a hurry) and I had a MESS )

It did come from the same batch but I did make on different days. I think the weather was about the same. Not rain on either day. It's been pretty hot here in the 80-90's. I never thought about the temp. though.

It sounds like some of your soap was affected by the heat and or humidity. The outside of glycerin soap (M&P) can attract moisture in the air and it forms crystals on the surface leaving it sticky feeling or even slimy. It can also leave a "fuzz" of crystals. None of this hurts the soap and you can still use it. It will go away as soon as you wash with it.

But it is unattractive for selling. So when you get sticky soap, try gently dabbing it with a soft cloth or paper towels. If it is still too sticky you can always remelt it and repour into your mold.

M&P has its pros and cons. A big con is that the glycerin in the base will attract any moisture in the air. A big pros is that glycerin is a natural humectant and is what helps your skin retain moisture. So learn to wrap your newly finished soap and store in a cool dry place. This will save you a lot of headaches.

Edited by Candybee

Thanks Candybee!!! How soon after cutting should it be wrapped. Immediately I'm assuming. I usually let it set for about 2-3 hrs. then pop in freezer for about 10 min. and then remove from mold and let it set for a a few hours then cut and wrap. Is that about right?

I like to let mine sit for 1-2 days to cure a bit and get harder before wrapping. But if there is humidity in the air I run a fan over my curing soap on high until I do wrap it. If you have a cooler, drier room in your home try using that for your curing room.