Igi 4636 j50

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice please. I am in the uk and our candle making supplies are nowhere near as good as yours. We only really get 1 brand of paraffin and the Eco soy waxes.

I use paraffin but am just not happy with my candles. I have been making candles for about 6 months so far and have still not got them right, so I am going to be ordering my wax from bitter creek north, shipping is quite expensive but wax here is quite expensive so it evens the cost out.

Anyway I want to make container candles and was looking at the j50, can anyone tell me if this is an easy wax to work with? What's the hot throw like? Does it need a long cure?Also is there other waxes from igi that might be suitable? Like better hot throw?

Any help much appreciated xx

Hello, Joanne

If you want to stick with IGI waxes, you'll have so many different opinions, it'll make your head spin, lol

The IGI 4627 (the very sticky, vaseline-like wax) is supposed to have great HT; I never had much luck with it and messy-me always ended up with wax on my hands, countertops, etc. etc.

The IGI waxes that give me consistently good results are the 4786 and the 4633; the 4630 is also very good. If you want a good parasoy, try the IGI 6006 (I think it's a 70/30). Personally I really love the CBL waxes, but they're not IGI and are available from Candlewic only. HTH and GL :smiley2:

Oh, and after all this spiel, to answer your question: sorry, never tried the waxes you mention, no idea what they're like, how well they throw. But remember that HT isn't strictly a wax thing!

Edited by Ravens
typo

J50 is a good wax. If that's all you can get for paraffin, you're probably going to like it, especially once you get used to it. Ravens mentioned the 4633 worked well for her. That's the IGI version of J223. J223 was supposed to be an improved version of J50 and in some ways it might throw a tad better or work better for some folks. Personally, I was not able to see much of a difference and J50 is still pretty popular with a lot of members here.

The 4786 is a favorite of mine as well, but it tends to leave a few wet spots on the glass. The 4630 (Harmony wax) really mimics the J50 and J223 in my opinion and I think I prefer the J waxes over the Harmony, but I like the Harmony too.

I try not to bounce around between the waxes. Sometimes a good price on one over another gets my interest, and it is always fun to learn a new wax, but if J50 was all I had, I'd be OK with that.

Joanne,

EricofAZ is right about the 4786 leaving wet spots. I tried heating the containers, cooling very slowly, etc. and then realized I'm just too lazy and don't want to bother with heating the containers, lol; the 4786 does have good HT though.

IGI 4633 and J223 are the same; I found 4633 easier to wick than the 4630, but the 4630 is a tad cheaper than the 4633.

As EricofAZ hinted, it's best not to bounce around from wax to wax; you may want to do that and play crazy wax scientist later, after you've worked the bugs out of your "chosen" wax; that's what I did... why? 'Cause that gives me reason to moan and groan, I'm a sucker for punishment!:laugh2: I may have mentioned this before: stick to one wax and one container when you first start; keep good notes, test and don't turn it into rocket science, 'cause it's not.

Keep us posted :D

Hi,

Thanks so much for replies. With the wax I get here I have tried so hard with it, I have tried lots of different wicks but stilli am not happy with the burn.

Ravens as you know I have been able to get a small bit of igi which I think was the 4636, it seems much easier to wick than my uk wax, it is much softer. Unfortunately I can not seem to get any more of this wax here.

I have had a look at bcn and I can get the 4786, to be honest wet spots do not bother me, I just want a safe burning candle that has great throw. So what would you recommend out of the igi? I can't get the 4627 as it only comes in 25lbs and I can not get that much shipped. Thanks xx

Ok, as you know I do not use 100% soy waxes for container candles, but occasionally use the 6006 which is a parasoy. Many people have great success with soy, but my soy candles are the pits; on the other hand, paraffins work great for me.

Of all the IGI waxes for containers that I tried, the 4786 is the easiest to wick, followed by the 4633 (J223); they both have great HT. I use either zinc or paper wicks; primary container I use is the 12oz. Status jar, followed by the cubes and in third place are the 10oz. keepsake apothecary jars from Candlewic. I use 1oz. FO per pound with both waxes, cure 3 or 4 days.

Keep us posted on your progress :grin2:

Hi, thanks for reply. Is the 4786 a soft wax? The igi wax I have here is very soft. I don't know if the wax is the 6006 or the 4636 as the person I got it from says they do not know themselves. All I know is that it is lovely and soft, much softer than my uk container wax

X

Hi, thanks for reply. Is the 4786 a soft wax? The igi wax I have here is very soft. I don't know if the wax is the 6006 or the 4636 as the person I got it from says they do not know themselves. All I know is that it is lovely and soft, much softer than my uk container wax

X

It is a hard wax. Also a multiple pour. I have used it blended with other waxes and am pleased with it. It didn't end up becoming my blend but its pretty good stuff. GL & HTH

Edit to say if you think you might have 4636 (J50) it could be that. It is a soft wax, easy to cut. 6006 is also easy to cut but has a bit of a different texture having a % of soy in it. If its completely smooth I'd guess its 4636.

Edited by jeanie353

Joanne, as Jeanie said, the 4786 is a hard wax and needs repours... can't stand repours:rolleyes2

Sounds like Jeanie has experience with the J50 but I've never used it.

Note to Jeanie: don't throw temptation my way now:laugh2:

I consider the 4633 (J223) and the 4630 to be soft waxes, easily cut with a knife. Did the stocker tell you the type of wax they sold to you? I'm sure they know which one it is; demand better service.

The people who I got it from are so hard to deal with. I would rather not deal with them but apparently this is the only place in the uk who stock this wax. Well I don't even think they stock it, I managed to get a small sample of this wax from them but now whenever I ring them all they say is they are testing it and they do want to order but haven't got round to it yet. I have also asked them which blends it is but all they say is that they can't remember.

Now I have spoken to Alfa chemicals (who you kindly found for me ravens) but again they will not deal with me as they want me to order in 1 tonn quantities which I can't do. All they keep saying is to get it from the place I got it before and they keep telling me that this place do stock it and yet the other place keep saying they don't as yet! It's driving me round the bend.

I would give up on them but I really like this wax and would like to be able to use it. Alfa chemicals who is the distributor only sell the 6006 or the 4636 so I know it has to be one of them xx

Edited by Joannec

Ok, you say it's one of those two waxes; apparently the J50 (4636) is a soft wax, I don't use that; but the 6006 is also a soft wax that you can easily cut with a knife; remember that 6006 contains soy; I think it's something like 70% paraffin and 30% soy.

Have no idea how much shipping would be from the USA, but what if you ordered 10 lbs of a couple of waxes? Imo, the 4786, 4633 and 6006 are relatively easy to wick; don't know about the 4636. I'll see what else I can find for you in terms of stockists.

The people who I got it from are so hard to deal with. I would rather not deal with them but apparently this is the only place in the uk who stock this wax. Well I don't even think they stock it, I managed to get a small sample of this wax from them but now whenever I ring them all they say is they are testing it and they do want to order but haven't got round to it yet. I have also asked them which blends it is but all they say is that they can't remember.

Now I have spoken to Alfa chemicals (who you kindly found for me ravens) but again they will not deal with me as they want me to order in 1 tonn quantities which I can't do. All they keep saying is to get it from the place I got it before and they keep telling me that this place do stock it and yet the other place keep saying they don't as yet! It's driving me round the bend.

I would give up on them but I really like this wax and would like to be able to use it. Alfa chemicals who is the distributor only sell the 6006 or the 4636 so I know it has to be one of them xx

Thankyou you are a sweetie x

I can only seem to get the igi from bcn, they will ship a 10lb slab in a medium flat rate for $48, that is quite alot of shipping however wax is cheaper over in the US as compared to here. Some places in the uk want $80 for 11lbs of wax

Try this link:

http://www.candlemakers.co.uk/cmproduct/candlewaxes.html#ContainerWax

They may be able to tell you if the container wax they sell is an IGI product. Wonder if you shouldn't start searching in a different European Country. The retailers I mentioned to you a while back tell me that in their Country candles are not that popular; perhaps this is part of the reason the biggies never made a big splash over there. Believe me, if there was big money to be made, they would have been there in a jiffy, lol

Note to Jeanie: don't throw temptation my way now:laugh2:

I consider the 4633 (J223) and the 4630 to be soft waxes, easily cut with a knife. Did the stocker tell you the type of wax they sold to you? I'm sure they know which one it is; demand better service.

Ravens...you missed a wax? Oh no...:laugh2:

I'd say J50, J223 and 4630 are all generally about the same in cutting softness...give or take a bit....imo.

I had trouble with the J waxes (now IGI) leaving wet spots. One was worse than the other but don't remember which is was anymore. I don't warm my jars which could have been the problem.

Same here; tried to warm the containers but soon gave up on that jazz, lol

Ok, no i am NOT going to try the J50 but.... how's the HT compared to the other ones?

I am NOT going to try it, promise - yep, right :rolleyes2

No, really, I am not; I'm not.

I. am. not. going. to. try. a. new. wax.

Same here; tried to warm the containers but soon gave up on that jazz, lol

Ok, no i am NOT going to try the J50 but.... how's the HT compared to the other ones?

I am NOT going to try it, promise - yep, right :rolleyes2

No, really, I am not; I'm not.

I. am. not. going. to. try. a. new. wax.

So have you placed the order already?

HT is great on both - imo. J50 did good with zincs. J223...hmmm...don't remember. HTP's maybe.

When I make candles its like I start and all heck breaks loose going like crazy so warming jars just isn't my thing. I know it works for many and that's great.

Jeanie, I am trying to keep these quivering fingers from the keyboard; there will be no LoneStar order for the J50.... well, I don't think there will be, lol.

Ksranch, may I ask why you switched to the 4630?

This is such an interesting thread. I am also in the UK and I ordered a small amount of 6006 from Peaks to try it out. It is coming anyday now and I hope it is a nice wax to start with. I ordered a few different sample packs of wicks as well as small tumblers to try out.

I hope you manage to find the wax you need. I think if the 6006 works well, I will go down the alfa route and see if they can make it a smaller order or something, I guess it is worth a shot at asking.