New scarf I knitted

TexasBrat

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol. I've been knitting since high school and I don't even know what 'loom knitting' is.

It takes me a good 3 to 4 hours to knit a ruffle scarf. Of course I get up and walk around, or wait on customers at the store. I can't and won't ever be able to make one in an hour. It takes me that long to pull and flatten the yarn.

I've decided I like Red Heart Sashay better than Starbella because it's so much softer, but it's harder to work with. It's harder to pull apart and flatten. But it's ultra, ultra soft.

Starbella has a kinda new one called 'Flash'. I made up a handful and really don't like it at all. It's stiffer and I'm not a glitzy, sparkley kinda person. BUT I got raves for the ones I made, so when I saw Premier has Flash on sale, I ordered 3 of each color. It's .01c more per skein than knitting-warehouse, but Premer has free shipping over $60, so it's cheaper in the long run. Since the yarn is so bulky, shipping can add easily .30c per skein.

http://www.premieryarns.com/Product/Premier+Starbella+Flash+Yarn.aspx

Asheebeans, I would imagine the sticks would be better for a ruffle scarf. Someone showed me a few weeks ago and it was surprisingly easy for me, but I am way faster on the loom than I am on the sticks. A wide scarf (13pegs) using the whole skeen takes me about 7 hrs total on the loom. I try to do a lil each night while watching some tv. I started a scarf on the sticks but took it off and did it on the loom cause I had to meet a deadline lol. But go for the sticks! And the ruffle is easy cast on.

Sliver of wax, thanks for the good info! I jus picked up some sashy the other night :) Can't wait to find the time to work on it :)

A lady my daughter works with makes these which I didn't even know until she came home from work with one she bought for our grandson's fiance. She bought a cream color one with an edge of gold on it. Not my style with the gold glitz either but it was very pretty. The 20ish fiance loved it so I guess they must be in style. The woman who makes them gets $25 a scarf.

I am finally going to order that black one that I've been wanting since this thread went up :)

A lady my daughter works with makes these which I didn't even know until she came home from work with one she bought for our grandson's fiance. She bought a cream color one with an edge of gold on it. Not my style with the gold glitz either but it was very pretty. The 20ish fiance loved it so I guess they must be in style. The woman who makes them gets $25 a scarf.

I am finally going to order that black one that I've been wanting since this thread went up :)

Sounds like this one. It's called Starbella Flash Marble. I took this picture as I was starting one doing 10 stitches across to see if I like it better. I do. I'm going to do all my Flash ones with 10 stitches from now on.

The second image is Red Heart Sashay Aran. It has a tiny touch of glitz in the border. I think you can tell by the picture how much softer and fluffier the Sashay is. If knitting-warehouse ever gets it back in stock, I'm gonna get a ton of it. It's unbelievably beautiful. My favorite.

Flash Marble:

Snapshot_20121219_zpsbe6d8eb5.jpg

Sashay Aran:

Snapshot_20121218_5_zps7db05d14.jpg

The top one is the one. Its pretty but just not my cup of tea.

However, the bottom one is and it does look a lot softer. I can see it in the pic.

Wish I knew how to knit or crochet. My grandma taught me a little but I never kept up with it and was quite young at the time.

You could relearn easily. I think I feel the need to order some!

The top one is the one. Its pretty but just not my cup of tea.

However, the bottom one is and it does look a lot softer. I can see it in the pic.

Wish I knew how to knit or crochet. My grandma taught me a little but I never kept up with it and was quite young at the time.

Anyone can do it. It's not really knitting, per se. It's just the plain 'knit' stitch. And there are no tension issues, no specific size of needle, none of the stuff that involves actually 'knitting' a garmet or design. It's the yarn that makes the scarves look intricate.

All I remember is knit 2, pearl 1 or something along those lines using hook needles to catch the next piece of yarn to attach to the rest.

I'll search the knit stitch and see if I think I can pull it off before buying any yarn or ordering the scarf. I'm now debating on an off white/white instead of black anyway.

Can't believe I am even considering this when I've got testers lined up to work on...lol.

Edited by jeanie353

All I remember is knit 2, pearl 1 or something along those lines using hook needles to catch the next piece of yarn to attach to the rest.

I'll search the knit stitch and see if I think I can pull it off before buying any yarn or ordering the scarf. I'm now debating on an off white/white instead of black anyway.

Can't believe I am even considering this when I've got testers lined up to work on...lol.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying: you don't purl with this. Or anything other than just the knit stitch. The video is excellent. You can do it.

Do it, do it!!!! I jus made one last night, yaaaaaay :) It took me like 4.5 hrs and I have never knitted a full scarf jus a few inches. Spent more time making sure I was getting the right hole. It was super easy! I used the second vid on this thread with the guy and did every other hole like he did. I think it would be real hard to mess up cause even if you did the wrong hole here and there I doubt anyone would notice.

Oh, sashy has a black and white, I grabbed some the other day. It's $4.99 @ Michaels

I want the purse too, lol but then that requires soooo much work.....

The purse is cute but I decided against it because the loopies would catch on every little thing.

Somewhere I saw a pattern for a skirt. Or vest. Or something. It was hideous.

You're right...it doesn't matter if you make a mistake. Nobody would ever know. I have gotten skeins that were 2 lengths of yarn tied together. Came from the factory like that. No worry.......just keep right on knitting. The knot will never show.

Here's that hideous thing I saw. A tunic:

http://www.premieryarns.com/Product/Shake+It+Up+Tunic.aspx

That thing (tunic) is kinda scary..... Darn! Didn't think bout the purse it WOULD catch on everything :( I think I'ma make my daughter a skirt but jus a few layers or so w a fitted waist, ugh I need a sewing machine again

I've made about 20 of these scarves with the Sashay and Starbella. I like the look of the Sashay better too. I gave one of my SILs a scarf as a thank you for hosting my hubby's family Christmas party. She LOVED it and it matched a blouse she bought to wear New Years Eve. In fact she said she was planning to shop for a scarf to wear with it. She couldn't get done thanking me. My other SIL said she wanted to learn how to make them...she knits. In fact she has made, I think, any crafty, sewing thing there is. Last Sat. evening my hubby and his brother went to a hockey game and I showed her the yarn and how simple they are to make. I gave her a skein of Sashay and showed her how to put the stitches on the needle and how to skip a hole when knitting. They are going to a hockey game again tonight so going to visit her again tonight and see how much she's accomplished. She's a high school health and phys ed teacher so she doesn't have as much time to craft during the school year. Anyway...I ordered a book on something else that looks really interesting...Mastering Peyote Stitch...it's bead weaving. The jewelry is GORGEOUS. Never interested in making jewelry before I saw this. It doesn't look as easy as I thought it would be....LOL. And of course, more $$$$$ to invest in supplies. I can't stay with doing one thing for a long time...sewing, quilting, knitting and the bazillion other things I bought over the years and haven't ever started OR are 1/2 finished and stuffed in a closet or drawer in my craft room.

Oh, and that tunic is ugly IMO.