New scarf I knitted

TexasBrat

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little update on brand differences:

I've finished one with Starbella. It was easy to work with. I used every loop.

Crap, I accidentally hit 'enter'.

Onward and forward:

I've about 1/2 finished one with Red Heart Sashay. The guy in the video was correct: use every other loop. The loops are closer together. The Shashay is flimsier and the yarn more prone to split.

However, for reasons I can't figure out, the Sashay is finishing up thicker. It must be because I'm using every other loop. In the finished Starbella, I can feel the 'spine' running down the middle. With the Sashay, I can't. Perhaps the Sashay is thicker yarn to begin with, but it doesn't seem like it is.

Most colors of Sashay are out of stock at knitting warehouse. In spite of the fact that it's a little more difficult to work with than Starbella, I wouldn't hesitate to buy more.

I like both of them OK.

There are definite differences. The Sashay is about $1.50/skein cheaper.

Edited by SliverOfWax

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Reyesofsunshine.

By The Way yall, they ( Mary Maxim ) has that Sashay on sale.. I just went to look at the site and it was the first thing that popped up..

Anyway

Is that an accurate indicator of how long that scarf will be once finished? Because if it is, that won't cut it around here. People sell a lot of scarves and wraps, and everyone wants the reallyyyyyyyy long ones they can wrap and drape very loosely.

Because I DON'T sew knit crochet needlepoint or any thing else lady like... my question is can you do two of them, and nicely join them together at one end to make one super long one? Has anyone tried it?

post-14200-139458499375_thumb.jpg

The yarn is really easy to attach together. I, unfortuantly, have recieved several skeins that had been cut into 2 pieces. I also like to make my scarves longer so i use a skein and a half for mine. Simply line up the last row of "holes" from one skein with the first row from the next skein and knit with them both as if they were one. I hope that make sense. i'm sure someone with more experience will give better instructions, but this is what i have been doing.

HTh

just got the newest mary maxim catalog in and they have a ton of new ruffling yarns, some with glitz glitter, glitter and fringe.. lol.. i ordered them all to try out.

Oh, SHAME ON YOU!!!!!

puplaugh.gif

I looked all over creation for mannequin heads with shoulders to use to display my scarves, but either the mannequins or the shipping was out of my budget. Then I came across this on Ebay, waited 'til the last second, and sniped the thing. I can't wait to get it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120927111323&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

manne.jpg

Edited by SliverOfWax

Because I DON'T sew knit crochet needlepoint or any thing else lady like... my question is can you do two of them, and nicely join them together at one end to make one super long one? Has anyone tried it?

you would just use 2 skeins, or keep right on knitting until you got it to the length you wanted. You wouldn't make 2 and sew them together. You would just keep on knitting.

Speaking of which, the Sashay video guy said his Red Heart scarf came out about a foot longer than the Starbella. Well........my Sashay scarf came out about a foot SHORTER than my first Starbella.

My first Starbella came out to about 60".

Is that an accurate indicator of how long that scarf will be once finished? Because if it is, that won't cut it around here. People sell a lot of scarves and wraps, and everyone wants the reallyyyyyyyy long ones they can wrap and drape very loosely.

They wear them long around here too. When I do wear one, its usually with a black wool knee length or mid calf length and I like it to go about half way down the lapels.

Am still waiting for one of you gals to make the purses and put them up for sale. :) How cute it would be to have a matching purse and scarf!

• 4 weeks later...

Bringing this back to the top to say...

I was talking to my friend Bev the other day and she said she went to the yarn shop and bought this really neat yarn to make a scarf. Said you can finish it in hours and it only takes 1 skein. I told her about the ones everyone talked about in this thread and she said it sounds like what she is loving to knit right now. She said..the next time you come over we will go to the yarn shop so you can knit one.

I just got the new Mary Maxim the other day and saw all of the yarns that Reyesofsunshine posted. I was showing it to my daughter and she changed her mind about the scarf she wants me to knit for her. She definnitely wants one of these instead of one out of the yarn I bought almost 2 years ago. LOL

Sewing has to be done inside at the machine. Knitting can be done anywhere. When I am sitting out at the pool I usually read a lot. And also think of all of the fabric I bought...and 2 projects that need to be finished. With knitting these I can stop reading for a while and work on a scarf for a bit.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for posting this!!! My daughter has told me several times that she wants to make one of these, but we just started loom knitting, so I didn't want to get too ahead of myself. This looks like something I can do! And the purse it adorable! I'm not a purse person but I may have to rock that!

Thanks so much for posting this!!! My daughter has told me several times that she wants to make one of these, but we just started loom knitting, so I didn't want to get too ahead of myself. This looks like something I can do! And the purse it adorable! I'm not a purse person but I may have to rock that!

Judy... I just saw your question.. I don't know if you found it yet or not but............ There are videos, on YouTube, for the crochet process. I was going to try that, because I've NEVER knitted nor crocheted a stitch in my life but my mother is a master crochet-er... Just type in Sashay Scarf Crochet.

Yep - I did view the video. I'm having a problem at the end. The video really doesn't show you how to finish it off. The crochet part is really easy & fun.

Well shoot LOL I didn't realize it wasn't good at showing the "end" :( I guess I have no clue what's good and what's not when it comes to these instructions since I've not done either of them yet. I have six skeins in the bedroom, and just got my knitting needles the other day (I am working up the courage to start this .. eventually LOL )

I LOVE ruffle scarves!! I just got the Mary Maxim catalog and they have some really pretty ruffle yarn with metallic accents....can't wait to get some of that yarn and knit me up a scarf or ten. :)

P.S. LOOM KNITTERS: There is an Isela Phelps ruffle scarf tutorial on YouTube especially for loom knitters! SO excited to see that I could loom knit one of these beauties!

• 4 weeks later...