Candle Safety/Testing

I recently starting making candles -- in glass containers. I have experimented with both soy and paraffin.

My question is: what goes into testing the safety of the candles? What are the things to look for?

What are important things to consider to ensure you have a safe candle in the making?

Aside from the entire concept of your wax, wick, fragrance, dye, other additives if used part of candle making and looking at the "glass" itself. There are many jars available that are per say "candle safe". Most candle making suppliers only carry these types of jars. Now if you talking about those that do the wine glasses and other not jar style candles your entering into a whole other thing...

I've seen many make candles in simply EVERY glass bowl, drinking glass, vase and container you can think of. Are all of them safe? Heck no! But that's not for us to judge really. What I would look for first off are any cracks, chips, scars or scrapes on the glass to ensure it's initial integrity. From there you MUST choose the correct wick so the glass doesn't get too hot and crack. We do glass painting as well as our candle line and when we fire the glass, even after inspecting.. some breaks in the kiln... It just happens and nothing we could do about it... So in the worst case, you make a candle in a container you deem safe and it cracks and fire ensues... Then we talk INSURANCE! EEK!

Hope this helps some and sorry for the ramble but just getting back here on CS and feeling a bit wordy =) Best of luck and happy crafting! =)

Testing is very important. I had a scary experience tonight with an 8 oz jelly jar candle I made months ago with 6006 wax, 6% CS Very Vanilla, dark purple color, and a 51 zinc wick that I bought from a local supplier before they went out of business. I had burned it for 3 burn sessions with no problem. But, this time it was burning for a couple of hours on my mantle and I was sitting only a couple of feet away from it, but not looking at it, and then I looked up at it and it had a monster flame which was about 1 inch wide at the base and at least 3 inches tall with a 1 inch deep melt pool, because the wick was about an inch long and had flopped over sideways onto the wax.

I don't know how that happened because the wick was only 1/4" when I lit it, but there ya go! I haven't seen these zinc wicks do that in my other candles, but I don't know where the local supplier was getting them or what kind of wax they were primed with. I hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't noticed that huge flame right then.

Edited by HorsescentS