My first batch of m&p

tamese

2012-04-24_15-24-52_373.jpg

OK so this is my first batch of soap it is Goat's milk from BB and FO is Oatmal milk and honey @ 7.5 ml. Hope that is the right amount. I was going for 1/4 oz. I added 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of grinded oatmal. No color. So my question is what do u all look for when testing, I figure lather, scent, and moisture to skin. It smells good not to strong. It has a good lather. I couldn't stand to wait any longer than 3 hrs. to use so it may later even more once it sets for a while. The hubby said it made his skin dry but to me it kinda felt like a better clean. The only way I know to describe is like when you clean glass and you get that squeaky clean that's kinda what is felt like to me when a ran my hand over my skin. Hope that doesn't sound to weird. Dont know how else to explain. Was wondering if I should try adding some shea butter for moisture. Any advice on making it more moist is welcomed. I've never used homemade soap so I don't know what it should feel like.

Great soap for your first try! Very pretty!

Lots of people mistake "dry" skin with that squeaky clean you get using M&P. You have to get used to squeaky clean skin. Thats what soap is supposed to do. You, or your hubby, are used to commercial soap which leaves a film on your skin that actually dries your skin. M&P does not leave a film on your skin not does it contain all the chemicals commercial soap has.

To make your M&P soap more moisturizing add 1/2 tsp castor oil per lb. You will be amazed at how moisturizing it makes your soap. To make it a luxury soap add 1-3 tsp per lb of shea butter. I'd start out with 1 tsp and see how it lathers first before adjusting it.

Thanks Scrochet will check it out and Thanks Candybee I will try that also.

Hi Tamese :) I might be overboard with my additives in M&P especially being a wash off product where the ingredients don't have time to sink into the skin. I started with a blend of PA's recipe and Candybee's and then added more ingredients, by trial and error, until I found what seemed best for me. I don't have customers yet (except family who I give it to) but also a soap that I think my customers will like.

To get all the additives in and keep them incorporated in the soap base, I found I had to warm them all, including the butters separately in a double boiler and then add to the M&P base.

This is what I add to each 2# of soap: 1/2 cup goat milk, buttermilk powder, castor, avocado, shea butter, cocoa butter, tsp olive oil, veg glycerin, evening primrose, jojoba oil, liquid silk and emu. All of these amounts are one T or less per 2 # of M&P base except the shea which is 2T.

It gives a lot of creamy lather, moisturizes yet is not sticky and does still leaves that squeaky clean feel.

This still does make my face feel tight so am working on a separate facial bar and don't have that one tweaked yet. The closes so far is with pureed baby carrots, buttermilk, buckthorn and some other stuff.

Also found that sometimes it takes the bar about 3 uses to really get the lather and moisturizing to come out. Don't know if that's just me or if that's normal. Curing the bar helps with lather, imo as well. Just a few days or a week seemed to make a difference.

GL and HTH

Edited by jeanie353
additional