The Heart Container from HELL!!!!!!

Wondering if ANYONE has figured out (and willing to share) how to wick this container. I think its made by Anchor (or Libby's), Walmart sells it in their craft dept here's a pic. Doesn't look that great, its a left over from last year-Chocolate covered cherries. I thought I had it all figured out but now I'm doubting myself. It took over a month last year of testing so I never sold any for Valentine's Day. I used 3 -105 HTP's. Any suggestings (I only work w/ and have HTP and cotton wicks). I took horrible notes, so I have no idea how long I should test burn it to get the favorable results. Pic #2 shows it after 5 1/2 hrs, good melt pool, slight wax on the sides-not real bad, and a good throw. Is this ok or should I aim for a shorter time like 4 hours. TIA :)

[ATTACH]3770[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3768[/ATTACH]

I must have been on drugs when I was centering the top two, but I got a good idea having them in two differ places that the one on the right is the place to have it as there were no hang up on the sides after 4 hrs. Actually if you look at the first pic they don't look that off, its a HTP wick so we all know how they bend every which way (making me seem like a worse wick centerer than what I really am -LOL:p )

[ATTACH]3769[/ATTACH]

post-119-139458389197_thumb.jpg

post-119-1394583892_thumb.jpg

post-119-139458389204_thumb.jpg

It doesn't look bad at all to me. Flames are a little high, but you can blow it out and trim them down. I think between 4 and a half and 5 and a half hour test time to get your MP is right in there. I wouldn't worry about a little bit of hang up on these containers because of their shape. I think that wicking them up a size would be overkill IMO. HTP105's, 3 of them are what I use as well and I get a good burn. You are correct about the wick placement, the one on the right top of the dish looks just about where it should be, so if you line up the other one on the left, you should be set. Also, HTP wicks, if you look at them, holding them by the base, have an upwards V on one side and a downwards V on the other side. Your wick is going to curl toward the downward V. That may help a little bit with your wick placement.

I hated these.I did sell a couple but what I burned at home i was not happy.They just don't burn good.I also did not let them burn for hours either.I may (if I even THINK about these) go to a larger wick but really have wanted to come up with other ideas.I also did FO's like the perfumey ones etc and wish I would have stayed with the more common scents.

So will see what comes out with one(believe me I have more than one left from last year) but I do remember some last year wicked up and they felt like the house was going to burn down.Like they couldn't believe all the flame in that candle.So if they used a large and it was like that I don't want to tempt it.Yes it does seem like the candle from "YOU kNOW WHERE"

LynnS

I agree with Kerry too about the hang up.I did see one burning where they sell supplies and there was a hang up.These candles are good for the Valentine idea but if people do not want to burn them for 4-5 hours at one time forget it.It will burn down the middle 3 different places.Just ask me I KNOW.

So we hate to say on Instructions"YOU MUST BURN THIS ONE FOR 5 HOURS.ha!!!!!!!!!! I am afraid we would be stuck.

LynnS

Thanks for the replies ladies :) Thanks for the reminder about the v's Kerry. I did read that once and I hardy ever do anything other that a round jar plus I don't use my HTP's that much (I'm a cotton girl :D). So I'll definately aim that v at the top of the dish as it needs all the help it can get. So I should say to burn between 4 to 5 hrs? Also to say to trim wick during the 5 hours? I thought that the HTP's were self trimming-I guess not for 5 hrs burns though.

Thanks again :)

Maryann! I tried to pm you and there is no room.. clean out the pms hunny :laugh2: i make these containers for valentines day. i use 3 - 51 z wicks.. with the help of Dustpuupy, he came up with the neat idea of using a 6 x 6 round mold as a guide for the placement of the wicks on these puppies, it was a perfect placement so i made a template of that and that is my guideline.. :wink2:

Jean thanks for the tip, now if I could only understand what you mean (I'm a little thick):embarasse I did clean out my box a little. I'm so bad I need to save the info in some of the pms but I need to go through each one first to figure out which ones they are.

Boy as this has burned I've kept an eye on the curving of the wick and it really does make a difference, thanks so much Kerry for that tip!

i use the exact same container from wal-mart. mine burn completely evenly using millcreek wicks, 62-52-18c. two of them. i have a pic i took last week showing the wick placement, but this site says the file is too big. its a little hard to explain, but i can email the pic to you if you like.

Brenna,

If I remember from last year THINK it was 12 ounces.So make a pound to be sure and maybe have some left over for tarts or votives or a small candle.I was trying to decide about these this year.I am going to do the 3 wicks and go up one size even if I dread it.I was guilty about not letting mine burn till a full melt pool but got tired of waiting.Now see at least 5 hours.Let ya'll know how the bigger wick does but don't want a fire hazard.

LynnS