C3 first burn with pictures

OK so far, I'm not all that thrilled with the C3, it looks like an alien landscape when it cools. It did the same thing on initial pour, and again after the first burn.

The C1 was smooth as can be.

The mix I'm using is 17 ounces of C3, 2 ounces of FO (I think this is Candlewic's Apples and Maple Bourbon) and no extra additives. It is double wicked with LX24's (these containers are really wide at their widest part, so even a single LX30 doesn't give a full melt pool.

The scent throw is pretty good, although not even close to the 444 with this load.

I made them, and waited a couple days, so although I'm kind of breaking my normal 7 day cure time...I need to make a decision pretty quick, as my 444 supply is getting closer to it's end.

I'm going to light the C1 tomorrow and see how that does it's first burn.

post-12215-139458495776_thumb.jpg

post-12215-139458495782_thumb.jpg

I use C3 and to give it a smooth, creamy look before and after a burn I temper the wax and add USA. Beth is correct, that's a high fo load and will affect how the wax looks. I choose to use 8% and get great ht but C3 really should cure for at least 5 days. IMO, LX wicks do not work as well in this wax as the CDNs, ECOs, or Premiers...hth

So today's update! I talked to the place I have powerburning both C1 and C3 samples, the C3 continues to give oddities after it cools, it looks just like the pictures I posted above from my sample burn. The C1, however, is giving even more scent throw per their observance than the 444 used to. They were described as DAMN strong, even more so than the original ones...this could be good...less FO is less $$ which would equate to cheaper oil changes. =)

The C3 continues to dissapoint...even the cold throw on day 4 of the never burned candle is substantially lower than either the 444 or the C1...I think I have found my new wax in the C1.

I'm not sure if it is how I'm pouring or the FO's i'm using, but the C1 I have is totally creamy...I hope that my supplier didn't swap the two accidentially (I just got small batches for samples). I would be pissed if I ordered 250 pounds of C1 and ended up with what I think is the C3 now.

-Chris

Oh my that would suck!! LOL

I am am really surprised you couldnt get creamy smooth tops with the C3 though- for me each burn stays as smooth as a babys butt BUT that is the only accomplishment I have had with it recently- my problem has been NO throw.... but thats ok because I am loving 415 and still love 464!

Good luck to you and hope it is the right wax!

• 3 weeks later...

I use C3 and have for a few years. I have had some C3 look like yours..but I learned that it was the FO not the wax. I temper my wax( I heat to 200* then let cool to solid..then heat back up to 200*) I then pour what I need into a pourpot and bring the temp down to 185* add FO (color if you use it..I don't) then pour. I use a thick bath towel dedicated to candlemaking on the table and set my jars on this to cool. works for me just about everytime..unless I get a stubborn FO, one that comes to mind is Warm vanilla Sugar..it blooms everytime. Depending n the jar I use CD's and Htp's. I have been having trouble with the CD's lately..I get a black soot ring around the wicks on the wax...the Htp's don't do it. I just ordered some CDN's hopefully those will work better as they have a certain protective wax on them for the use in soy wax.

Good Luck and hope it is thr right wax..i have never used C1 so I have no clue about what that should look like.