Anyone tried Daystar's Ahoy, Matey?

bsones

I've been looking for marine-type scents that don't incorporate calone or ozone elements, both of which I can't stand. Ozone smells like laundry soap to me, and calone smells like... well, cologne. Neither one smells remotely like the ocean.

I've been looking for some sort of algae/seaweed fragrance, which wouldn't be a complete replication of an ocean smell, but would at least be closer than the fake, soapy salt-air scents that most marine candles use. Nobody seems to make one, though, unless you want to spend a bazillion dollars on seaweed absolute from France. Daystar's Ahoy Matey sounds like it might be along those lines--"salty skin, myrtle, cedar, and marine algae."

So for those of you that have tried it--is it different than other marine scents? Or does it have the same ozone-y/calone-y smell that other marine FOs have?

Most oceanic scents are floral, which I also hate. I've had pretty good luck with Save on Scents "fishing pier" because it has a slight fish note. You might should try that. It's not a true to life scent but it's close. Maybe you can mix EOs. I believe Elemi EO mixed with a Cucumber EO might give you a seaweed like smell. Haven't found anything salty yet.

Edited by rctfavr3

I actually have some Fishing Pier, and I agree--it's closer to a true marine smell than anything else I've tried. It's not something that could stand on its own, though (I don't think you'd even want it to be a dominant component in a blend), so I'm trying to find some other elements that would work with it.

Salt smells: the biggest problem with finding a good salt smell is that salt has no smell. When people talk about the tang of "salt air," what they are really talking about is that sharp, slightly sulfurous smell that is caused primarily by algae outgassing a rather unpleasant chemical called dimethyl sulfide. This is the primary scent chemical responsible for making the ocean smell like the ocean. And you can buy it--I have some! But as a fragrance element for candles, it's really difficult to work with. It's super-strong, so finding the right amount to use is difficult. And the scent dissipates very rapidly--in maybe twenty or thirty minutes on its own. I've been experimenting with "fixing" it in a more stable oil like vetiver, but I haven't had much success.

So what people generally do for ocean scents is to use things that remind them of real ocean scents. The problem, for me, is that none of the scents that people generally use (calone, ozone, florals) really remind me of the ocean. I'm currently focusing on trying to accurately nails some beach scents--dune grass, seaweed, etc.--without worrying too much about faking (badly) the smell of the actual water. Thus my interest in the Ahoy, Matey FO.

So not to be a broken record, but surely someone here has tried it?...

"When people talk about the tang of "salt air," what they are really talking about is that sharp, slightly sulfurous smell that is caused primarily by algae outgassing a rather unpleasant chemical called dimethyl sulfide. This is the primary scent chemical responsible for making the ocean smell like the ocean. And you can buy it--I have some!"

Not to threadjack but where can I purchase the aroma chem dimethyl sulfide? As a base/heart, Vetiver should be a good starting point. Didn't think of that one! If you can get a true cucumber scent without that fake drydown musk; It might work with Vetiver to create a somewhat realistic ocean scent. Sadly, I doubt Daystar's Ahoy will smell accurate. Most of these fragrance companies fail to deliver true-to-life linear scents.

Edited by rctfavr3

The Perfumer's Apprentice carries it. It's not as expensive as it sounds--a very little bit goes a long way. But fair warning--the scent disappears very quickly once it's out of the bottle.

Thanks I had forgoten about that company. Lots of aroma chems. Hmm, have you tried Amyl vinyl carbinol?

It's a slightly musty-cool metallic scent that might be perceived as dirty ocean water note?!

Edited by rctfavr3

Shameless bump: Nobody has any impressions of Ahoy, Matey? I'm hesitant to just try it blind, since it's the only thing I really need from Daystar, and it would cost something like $15 just to sample it (with shipping).

So after reading up on this a little more, it appears to be a dupe of the perfume "Acqua di Sale" which is comprised of: myrtle-anise for its top notes, cucumber - green tea for the heart, and dirty patchouli at it's base.

Having not sampled Daystar's "Ahoy, Matey" I can't vouch for it's likeness to the $50 perfume. I have tried Acqua Di Sale and it's actually pretty close to a true ocean smell, but still slightly "soapy" for lack of better word. I think its the salty-licorice like opening that gives it that fishy/marine characteristic. It's a strong marine scent, without the florals, fresh yet dirty. It was a good scent.

Hope that helps.

Edited by rctfavr3

Aroma haven sea kelp is a real sea side smell

I considered that one, but the description lists ozone and musk among its scent components, so I'm fairly certain that I wouldn't like it.

So after reading up on this a little more, it appears to be a dupe of the perfume "Acqua di Sale" which is comprised of: myrtle-anise for its top notes, cucumber - green tea for the heart, and dirty patchouli at it's base.

Having not sampled Daystar's "Ahoy, Matey" I can't vouch for it's likeness to the $50 perfume. I have tried Acqua Di Sale and it's actually pretty close to a true ocean smell, but still slightly "soapy" for lack of better word. I think its the salty-licorice like opening that gives it that fishy/marine characteristic. It's a strong marine scent, without the florals, fresh yet dirty. It was a good scent.

Hope that helps.

It does, thanks. I think I may order a sample, just to try it out. The "soapy" part is worrying, since soapy scents are one of the main things that I dislike about most marine fragrances. But this one sounds different enough to warrant a try, at least.

Doesn't real Acqua di Sale contain real seaweed absolute? I thought that was one of the reasons it is so expensive...

Edited by bsones

I considered that one, but the description lists ozone and musk among its scent components, so I'm fairly certain that I wouldn't like it.

It does, thanks. I think I may order a sample, just to try it out. The "soapy" part is worrying, since soapy scents are one of the main things that I dislike about most marine fragrances. But this one sounds different enough to warrant a try, at least.

Doesn't real Acqua di Sale contain real seaweed absolute? I thought that was one of the reasons it is so expensive...

I wasn't aware it had seaweed absolute but if it does, that would be a good marketing ploy. Not sure if it's identifiable in the final scent. Seaweed absolute has a sort-of pungent dirty musk to it. I doubt it's included in Daystars dupe, but with Daystar claiming their version has cedarwood in it, I'm guessing thats what they are using as a substitute.

With Acqua di Sale; I suspect it's mostly the top notes that contribute to the overall smell of the ocean. I really only experience the powdery aspect of the scent in the final drydown. I think it's because most metallic/aquatic notes have a slight powdery aspect to them (at least to my nose) It's very slight in the perfume, and with the FO dupe, it shouldn't be an issue. I think...

Edited by rctfavr3