Bleeding colors?

tlc

I have seen lots of talk from the soap gurus about colors bleeding and making sure you buy non-bleeding colors. Frankly that has me scratching my head bigtime :confused:

What I'm wondering is, do the colors bleed when they are poured and the soap is not "set up" yet or, does the bleeding happen after?

Is there one type color or coloring method (ie; mica's/liquid coloring) that is prone to this?

So far on my soap journey I haven't came across non-bleeding colors but I am a new, new newbie and things are still not making any sense yet even if it's right in front of me. I know they are out there cause you all have said so and I believe it and I WILL find them! :)

Edited by tlc

I am VERY new as well. So new that I haven't even actually made a bar yet lol. I'm just doing a ton of researh first before I dive in. According to Brambleberry, micas are the best NON bleeding coloring agent. I believe liquid dyes are more prone to bleeding.

From Brambleberry:

"All of the colorants in this category are non-bleeding, which means they won't migrate or blend into other colors when layered in soap. But keep in mind, if you over color your soap it can bleed, even when you use non-bleeding colorants. So be sure to use the minimum amount of color you can and if you want a deep rich soap color always start with a clear base."

You know you have color bleed when:

Original soap color fades or changes color.

Soaps with embeds; the rest of the soap starts to take on the color of the embed.

You make a pretty swirled soap and two weeks later the swirl is gone or looks more like a smear job.

Ever drop water on a water color painting and it starts to run and bleed into the other colors? That same "look" can happen in your soap with color bleed.

Hope this helps.

My first set of colors were FDC liquid colors I bought from C&S. They last forever but I can't do fancy swirls or colored chunks or embeds cause the colors bleed. I can use them safely for one dimensional coloring; eg; lavender for lavender soap, pink for rose soap, etc. But try 2 colors and they wash out together after a while or bleed into each other.

HTH

The way I try to see things is there is always an upside to the downside. For me, the downside to my soapies bleeding:cry2: is now they are not sooooo purdy any more so I will use them! See how things work out for the best sometimes! :yay: