Rusty Mold ?

I bought a couple of molds off the classifieds several months ago. They were rusty so I just put them aside. Now I could use them but can't seem to clean out the rust. I've been scrubbing them with WD 40 but not making much progress. Is there something else I can use to clean out the rust or are they a lost cause? Thanks

there is a product you can get at hardware stores for rust removal - can't remember the name. But after using it or whatever you use, do use the mold release stuff and make a couple candles from some old wax to 'condition' the mold. .... OR just use it for rustics..:laugh2:

Sharyl....the problem is that it "etches" the metal. You can use WD40 or other rust removers, but they won't make the mold smooth again. For the molds that I have wrecked....I just use them for crackle candles....doesn't matter if they aren't smooth.....Donita

there is a product you can get at hardware stores for rust removal - can't remember the name. But after using it or whatever you use, do use the mold release stuff and make a couple candles from some old wax to 'condition' the mold. .... OR just use it for rustics..:laugh2:

You may be thinking of "naval jelly". You can get it at auto parts stores, too.

A penetrating oil might work better than WD40. Liquid Wrench is one. It's slightly different than WD40. Seems to work a bit better on rust. Any residue can be gotten out with mold cleaner followed by pouring a throwaway candle, using leftover wax or whatever.

If its just 'surface rust', you might not get the pitting someone else mentioned. If you DO get the pitting, you might be able to smoth it out a bit with some steel wool from the paint store. Not S.O.S pads. Kitchen steel wool pads are too course. The steel wool probably won't work, but if you want to try and since the mold is arleady only good for rustics at that point, anyway...

Thanks Dustpuppy. I'll try some liquid wrench. Haven't made much progress using WD40. If nothing else guess I'll have rustic hurricanes. Maybe start a new fad. LOL

I'm not sure any of that will work,mind you, but when I get bored, I like to experiment with such things. Since these are pretty much useless to you, at the moment, you can possibly learn how to save some that are less screwed, if you ever need to.