First CP Batch can someone tell me what went wrong?

Jewls819

post-12550-139458494237_thumb.jpg

I have made quite a few Hp batches and wanted a nice swirl so I tried CP. It got too thick on me so I had to spoon quickly into the mold. What I am trying to figure out is, how I got these weird veins running through. The veins are solid. I read it comes from the palm separating? Is that what you think it is? Maybe next time I will use the lard I have instead.

I used:

5% castor

40% olive

20% coconut

35% palm

Thanks so much for your reply! I was worried something was really wrong..I know it has air bubbles in it but that is my fault. It was my first batch. I should have just done it in solid color but I never pick the easier route. I washed with a sliver just to try it and it worked up a lather really nice.

I wouldn't worry about the colors etc. My first batch I got chastised for putting color in it and the second one I added two colors ... I don't think the coloring has anything to do with the situation. Might as well have soap you want kwim? At least that was my thought then and still is lol. (I don't pick the easiest routes either lol.)

I posted on your other thread since you mentioned you didn't pay that much attention to the temps since you were used to what you do with HP if I understood that right. Could just be that the temp and not the amounts is what caused the veins. If it moved fast on you then you likely didn't get a good mixing with the palm ... just my thought. Try it again at say 100 degrees or lower if you want and see if that changes your work time. It should, because I've understood olive and palm to be slow movers. I don't use the amounts that you do of those two ingredients, so my experience with them will be different.

Edited by Scented

I am going to try that basic recipe of 25% lard,25% coconut, 45%olive and a bit of castor5%. The only thing I might change is the amount of coconut. I want that cleaning number to be a little lower. I will watch those temps very close this time too. Now what fragrance...hmmm. Being a candlemaker I have sooo much....but that is a good thing.

Jewls819 I made my 1st batch of soap using that same basic recipe;

45% olive oil

25% coconut oil

25% lard

5% castor

It makes a really nice white creamy soap.

I was thinking about your 1st batch and wondering if the seperated oils may not be reabsorbed. If that happens you'll know in the next few days.

Anyway they look very pretty and even if they aren't perfect who knows but you! I bet they will be lovely once they are cured. Your colors are very pretty and I love how they look like they are floating like clouds in the soap.

Also, to help get rid of air bubbles in my soap I stir it with a spoon after I SB to help release the air bubbles. I also tap the mold on the countertop after I poured the soap in to "bang" out more bubbles. I know you didn't have time to do that but most batches you should have time to try these tricks out.

Edited by Candybee

What is weird Candybee is the little lines are solid. They are not liquid at all. I did tap...well more than tap..the soap was that thick..lol. My hubby though was going to break the mold. I will just let them cure and see what we got. It was fun though.