Poured 2 candles with 6006 and CO that are smelling stronger than 2 cases!!!

I don't know how good these candles will turn out yet, because I just poured them tonight, but these 2 candles are smelling MUCH stronger than when I've poured 2 cases! :laugh2:And I'm really surprised because I used much less FO than I usually do. So, I'm thinking this may be a sign that adding coconut oil really does help HT.

Here's exactly what I did, and will let you know the results in one week:

Dollar Tree status jar

7.50 oz 6006

1/2 Tablespoon Louana's coconut oil

.50 oz Peak's Mulberry

7 drops burgundy soy candle dye

62 zinc wick

Dollar Tree status jar

7.50 oz 6006

.50 oz Peak's Peppermint Kiss

No dye

62 zinc wick

Heated wax to 200 in Presto, ladled wax into pour pot and set it on my electric skillet and added CO and dye, added FO at 185, stirred for 2 minutes and poured at 150 into a jar that was pre-heated in a 170 degree oven, cooled on a rack.

This recipe is the result of a lot of reading here, so I'm eager to see how they'll turn out. (Some of you already know whether or not these will be good.)

I got tired of testing 4627 in Libbey Elemental jars, and my daughter loves the look and scent quality of the candles I made with 6006 much more, so I decided to try 6006 with CO and much less FO this time.

Edited by HorsescentS

I don't know how good these candles will turn out yet, because I just poured them tonight, but these 2 candles are smelling MUCH stronger than when I've poured 2 cases! :laugh2:And I'm really surprised because I used much less FO than I usually do. So, I'm thinking this may be a sign that adding coconut oil really does help HT.

Here's exactly what I did, and will let you know the results in one week:

Dollar Tree status jar

7.50 oz 6006

.50 oz Peak's Mulberry

7 drops burgundy soy candle dye

62 zinc wick

Dollar Tree status jar

7.50 oz 6006

.50 oz Peak's Peppermint Kiss

No dye

62 zinc wick

Heated wax to 200 in Presto, ladled wax into pour pot and set it on my electric skillet and added CO and dye, added FO at 185, stirred for 2 minutes and poured at 150 into a jar that was pre-heated in a 170 degree oven, cooled on a rack.

This recipe is the result of a lot of reading here, so I'm eager to see how they'll turn out. (Some of you already know whether or not these will be good.)

I got tired of testing 4627 in Libbey Elemental jars, and my daughter loves the look and scent quality of the candles I made with 6006 much more, so I decided to try 6006 with CO and much less FO this time.

Bolding is mine... Do you have a problem with the wick wax melting off when you warm your jars in that warm of an oven? I ask because that's been my experience. I prefer not to warm jars because of that. I know Peaks wicks are coated with a 212* wick wax, but I don't use their wicks, I use the ECO's and they have the "natural" wick wax. Maybe that's my problem...

Can't wait to read your results!!!! Did you try adding the CO to 4627?

No, I didn't try that yet, have you? I thought about it, but my daughter and I were so impressed by the depth and quality of the scent from my old 6006 candles that I dug up my last 20.9 oz of 6006 to play with. :)

I want to try 6098 Victory Blend with CO soon. It's a parasoy, but is supposed to be superior to 6006 and have a stronger HT like 4627. AAA Candle Supply in Texas has it.

Edited by HorsescentS

Bolding is mine... Do you have a problem with the wick wax melting off when you warm your jars in that warm of an oven? I ask because that's been my experience. I prefer not to warm jars because of that. I know Peaks wicks are coated with a 212* wick wax, but I don't use their wicks, I use the ECO's and they have the "natural" wick wax. Maybe that's my problem...

No, I had no problem with wax melting at all. My HTP wicks are from Peak, but I'm using the zincs I bought from a local supplier before she went out of business, and I don't know where she bought them...maybe from Taylored Concepts, which is also oob.

I used a gloved hand to grab each jar out of my 170 degree oven just before I poured it, and my un-dyed Peppermint Kiss candle got a small round wet spot at the top of the wax, but my burgundy Mulberry candle has no wet spots. I bet if someone hadn't turned my thermostat down to 60 degrees the white candle would be perfect. lol

No, I didn't try that yet, have you? I thought about it, but my daughter and I were so impressed by the depth and quality of the scent from my old 6006 candles that I dug up my last 20.9 oz of 6006 to play with. :)

I want to try 6098 Victory Blend with CO soon. It's a parasoy, but is supposed to be superior to 6006 and have a stronger HT like 4627. AAA Candle Supply in Texas has it.

Ask Jeanie about the 6098, she may have an answer for you before you waste money ordering. I will try the CO/4627 this weekend.

Oh, thank you so much! I'll definitely ask her first...JEEEANIEEEE??? Oh, JEEEEEANIEEEEEEE? :grin2:

Yes Ma'am? This is the thing....For me 6098 did the best in tarts mixed 50/50 with 4625. In a container it didn't do as well. Tried several wicks and could not get a better HT out of it than some of the other paraffins such as CBL125 and J50.

The reviews on it are really good so maybe it was just a problem on my end. I can just tell you I would not buy it again. Hope that helped but at the same time don't want to have you shy away from something that may work for you.

Yes Ma'am? This is the thing....For me 6098 did the best in tarts mixed 50/50 with 4625. In a container it didn't do as well. Tried several wicks and could not get a better HT out of it than some of the other paraffins such as CBL125 and J50.

The reviews on it are really good so maybe it was just a problem on my end. I can just tell you I would not buy it again. Hope that helped but at the same time don't want to have you shy away from something that may work for you.

Thank you, Jeanie! :) Maybe I'll just buy 1 slab and add 1 Tablespoon of CO p.p. of wax. I noticed on the WSP wax chart they recommend either zincs or CDs with it, so I'll try my trusty zincs first.

Edited by HorsescentS

Thank you, Jeanie! :) Maybe I'll just buy 1 slab and add 1 Tablespoon of CO p.p. of wax. I noticed on the WSP wax chart they recommend either zincs or CDs with it, so I'll try my trusty zincs first.

You're very welcome :) I don't think I put any CO in those testers so it may give you more HT with it in. Sure...give those zincs a try. Don't think I did. Have LSZ and they confuse the heck out of me with the sizing. Burn nice tho'.

GL and let us know how it went for you ok?

You're very welcome :) I don't think I put any CO in those testers so it may give you more HT with it in. Sure...give those zincs a try. Don't think I did. Have LSZ and they confuse the heck out of me with the sizing. Burn nice tho'.

GL and let us know how it went for you ok?

Yes, I'll let you know. From what I've read here the type of wick makes all the difference between good HT and little or no HT.

Yes, I'll let you know. From what I've read here the type of wick makes all the difference between good HT and little or no HT.

Horsescents....Yeppers....am finding that out here too. To get a good HT and burn is quite the challenge these days. Am getting pretty good results from paper in a couple blends and one paraffin. Did not try them on 6098.

OK..GL again on the 6098. If nothing else you'll have yourself some nice tarts :)

Update on the 2 candles. Please see my 1st post for the recipe I used:

First, I love the difference adding coconut oil made! I will never make 6006 without adding coconut oil now. It slows down the burn, tames it down, minimizes mushrooms, seems to have helped the HT on one of the candles, makes the wax look much prettier in the jar.

The undyed candle with Peak's Peppermint Kiss FO is more than halfway burned now, because I started doing 3 hour burn sessions several days ago. There was a little hangup during the first couple of burns, but now it's cleaned the sides. It has big wet spots, but fills the room with light fragrance, and burns beautifully with either no mushrooms, or minimal shrooms. We want the scent to be much stronger, though, so I'm going to use more FO next time. The candle is a nice bright white color and the top of it glows when lit.

The burgandy candle with Peak's Mulberry has zero wet spots and looks really perfect, except I should have used a bit more dye. It's on the 3rd burn session and is cleaning the sides. But, it's got zero HT, except for a hint of the fir tree note sometimes. I guess Peak's Mulberry won't throw in 6006, but if anybody has gotten a good HT with it in parasoy, please let me know.

I'm really disappointed that the Mulberry didn't throw in 6006, because it is absolutely amazing in 4627 paraffin. It sparkles with a barely perceptible fir tree note. Love it!!! I know paraffin is said not to need a cure time, but my 4627 Peak's Mulberry candles smelled weird the first week, but heavenly after several weeks.

Edited by HorsescentS

First, I love the difference adding coconut oil made! I will never make 6006 without adding coconut oil now. It slows down the burn, tames it down, minimizes mushrooms, seems to have helped the HT on one of the candles, makes the wax look much prettier in the jar.

:yay: Am glad the CO worked for you too.

I had a problem with Peak Mulberry but did not let it cure so that might just be what it needs. I had initially used it in a blend one of our members posted 50/50 w/Amish Harvest. It had a HT to knock my socks off in soy, paraffin and palm container.

Tried Mulberry alone in CBL125 and next to no HT. Figured the Amish Harvest somehow brought out the Mulberry since I could smell whiffs of it strong in the blend.

Now we know it must be a cure time thing.

Thanks for the update.

:yay: Am glad the CO worked for you too.

I had a problem with Peak Mulberry but did not let it cure so that might just be what it needs. I had initially used it in a blend one of our members posted 50/50 w/Amish Harvest. It had a HT to knock my socks off in soy, paraffin and palm container.

Tried Mulberry alone in CBL125 and next to no HT. Figured the Amish Harvest somehow brought out the Mulberry since I could smell whiffs of it strong in the blend.

Now we know it must be a cure time thing.

Thanks for the update.

So, did you try Peak's Mulberry alone, and after enough cure time it worked? you finally got a good HT? How long does it need to cure?

The CO definitely helped the CT in both candles!

So, did you try Peak's Mulberry alone, and after enough cure time it worked? you finally got a good HT? How long does it need to cure?

The CO definitely helped the CT in both candles!

I tried Peak's Mulberry first blended 50/50 with Amish Harvest. It was so great, I did it in all three waxes. Came along about 2 weeks later with just Mulberry and that is where I had very little HT.

Did not let them cure except the soy and that was for maybe 2 days only. Funny because the blend needed no cure time in paraffin yet the Mulberry notes were coming out nice and strong. Like wiffs here and there. Unless Amish Harvest has some Mulberry in it already. Didn't think of checking before posting so I'll buzz over to Peak's and see what the description says.

OK....Peak doesn't break down the blend but here is what it says:

A fragrance that is slightly spicy with delicious dried fruit notes.

Edited by jeanie353
additional

I tried Peak's Mulberry first blended 50/50 with Amish Harvest. It was so great, I did it in all three waxes. Came along about 2 weeks later with just Mulberry and that is where I had very little HT.

Did not let them cure except the soy and that was for maybe 2 days only. Funny because the blend needed no cure time in paraffin yet the Mulberry notes were coming out nice and strong. Like wiffs here and there. Unless Amish Harvest has some Mulberry in it already. Didn't think of checking before posting so I'll buzz over to Peak's and see what the description says.

I just checked that sticky in the Veggie Wax forum that lists the FOs that throw in soy by supplier. Mulberry is on the list of FOs that throw in soy. My 6006 candle is 7 days old an no HT. I'll make one that's 9% next.

Thanks for telling me about that yummy blend! I must try that!

Edited by HorsescentS

I just checked that sticky in the Veggie Wax forum that lists the FOs that throw in soy by supplier. Mulberry is on the list of FOs that throw in soy. My 6006 candle is 7 days old an no HT. I'll make one that's 9% next.

Thanks for telling me about that yummy blend! I must try that!

Cannot take credit for the yummy blend but you're welcome. It was one of our members who posted it last fall (approx). It is definitely a winner!

Guess I'll give Mulberry another try too by upping the FO % and adding CO. (did 6% initially) I normally only add CO to soy/parasoy as a regular additive but will be doing it now with paraffin as well.

If I can get the burn tamed it may get me out of this forever testing rut. Many are sized but its that flame issue we've discussed on other threads holding me back from production/selling.

Cannot take credit for the yummy blend but you're welcome. It was one of our members who posted it last fall (approx). It is definitely a winner!

Guess I'll give Mulberry another try too by upping the FO % and adding CO. (did 6% initially) I normally only add CO to soy/parasoy as a regular additive but will be doing it now with paraffin as well.

If I can get the burn tamed it may get me out of this forever testing rut. Many are sized but its that flame issue we've discussed on other threads holding me back from production/selling.

So, you can use CO in paraffin? I've been wondering what it would do to 4627.

So, you can use CO in paraffin? I've been wondering what it would do to 4627.

Yep....I'd have to search again because I think it allows for higher amount in paraffin than soy which does seem backwards to me. I thought it was 1/2T for soy and 1T for paraffin. I'd like to go the higher amount but want to search forum type sites with chandler input first. Should get to that today and will let you know what I find w/links.

Am co-testing with another member. She is using 4627 at this time and may try CO w/it. I'll go find out or if you want to PM her...

Darn it! My burgundy candle, which looked so perfect, pulled away from the glass on one side of the bottom. sigh... I guess the CO doesn't help wet spots, or maybe it does help some, but not totally.

Sorry to hear that. Wet spots can occur at any time as the ambient temp changes. I haven't found CO to do much other than tame the burn of paraffin, which I'd rather do by adding another wax.