Soy Tart - Clamshell Opinions

Paul

I want to make tarts with a 100% soy blend that could be used in clamshells later on. I’m thinking of using a combination of Ecosoya PB and either XceL, 135, or 444. I would really be interested in opinions on these combinations. Are any of these combinations a complete mistake?

I’m looking for a blend that will have a great HT and stand up to the heat when I ship to family and friends. It would also be really nice to have it pop out of the warmer easily when cool.

Right now I’ve been using my leftover 4630 for personal tarts and it has awesome HT. It is just too soft for my tastes and I don’t think the little tarts would ship well. If I have to start experimenting with a new wax blend I want to try 100% soy.

Well, the more I read, the more I keep coming back to SusyK 's posts on her clamshell blend and I think I'm going to order some XceL to play around with. Between the PB and the high melt point of XceL, I don't think I'm going to find a better soy to weather the heat. I'll just have to see if the HT is there.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I had problems with my melts melting when I used a higher melt point votive/pillar wax in some Scentsy melters. Some melters would work ok, then others wouldn't melt like they were suppose to. After many tests of standing over my melters saying melt baby melt, I finally got my recipe to work. Now the whole family thinks I am nutter then normal :)

Kim

I have GREAT results with PB and Xcel. I have tested at different percents and I get my best results with 60% PB and 40% Xcel. Great cold and hot throw. No frosting and a beautiful creamy look. It also pops out the easiest. I don't hear of a lot of people using Xcel but I love it. I test mine to last at least 14 hours and they usually last longer than that. Your results may be different because of climate, but it's worth a shot! Good luck!

Here's a pic of one of my latest using the PB and Xcel.

CitrusStrawberryC.jpg

Edited by SuzyK

Thanks Suzy, yep, after weeks of testing my results are like yours. I'm favoring the 60/40 blend. I would say that I'm getting between 12 and 14 hours of scent and it melts nicely in a tiny 10w warmer. I don't get the 20+ hours like I do with straight 4630 paraffin, but I don't think I should expect it with a soy.

Just to put my mind at ease I'm testing some 464 and PB blends this week and hopefully will have time in a few weeks to try a C-3 and PB. :)

• 1 month later...
I have GREAT results with PB and Xcel. I have tested at different percents and I get my best results with 60% PB and 40% Xcel. Great cold and hot throw. No frosting and a beautiful creamy look. It also pops out the easiest. I don't hear of a lot of people using Xcel but I love it. I test mine to last at least 14 hours and they usually last longer than that. Your results may be different because of climate, but it's worth a shot! Good luck!

Here's a pic of one of my latest using the PB and Xcel.

CitrusStrawberryC.jpg

Hi SuzyK,

I am new here and I ordered the same waxes you use. Candle Science says to melt them to 185* but EcoSoya's website says to melt to 155* for dyes and then work with the FO manufacturer regarding melt temp for incorporating the FO. Can you tell me which temp you use and help me understand why. My FO's are also from Candle Science but I don't see anything listed so I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks!

zeo

I heat/melt my wax to 185, add the FO/Dye, stir, stir, stir for a minute or 2. Then I pour into the containers between 145-155 degrees. Hope that helps!

Yes, thank you. Have you ever experimented with lower temps? I'm just wondering if since the dye can incorporate at 155, then would the FO also be able to do the same?

Hi Suzy, thank you. I will just stick with the same temperatures that are working for you since they don't seem to be killing of your FO's (which is what I was initially concerned with).

One more question. I have made two batches now. The first one was 60% XceL and 40% PB. It looks great and unmolded perfectly. The second batch was 70% XceL and 30% PB but it was too soft and chipped up when I unmolded. But I see that you and Paul (OP for this thread) both settled on the opposite ratios of my first batch with 60% PB and 40% XceL. I was wondering....can you tell me what kind of problems I can expect with the higher amount of XceL? I'm just wondering what you didn't like about that blend. Was it the the CT and HT or did you have frosting issues?

Thank you so much for your time and feedback!

zeo

Edited by zeoplum

My ratio of 60 pb 40 Xcel is the highest amount of xcel that I've used. I don't think you'll have many problems with higher amounts of Xcel other than it being really soft. It's an awesome wax. I initially used only 25% Xcel but I had frosting issues after a couple of months. So I tried 30% and then 40% and I am happy with the 40%. I have a portion cup sitting on a shelf with the 60/40 blend and I just checked it. It's been there for 3 months and there's a tiny tiny bit of frosting but not like before. I haven't really ever had CT or HT problems with any of the blends. There are scents here and there that don't throw as well but that will happen with any kind of wax.

Oh, ok! Then that explains quite a bit. I had been wondering what the extra PB wax adds to the mix. Looks like I've got a lot of testing to do!

I have read a lot of comments on the forum from people who are making container candles with straight XceL and they didn't like it because there wasn't a good HT. So if I DO have any trouble, I'm thinking that might be it. Maybe I'll have to test a 50/50 blend though....just to see how it compares. I'm a tester by nature (even in my job) so I'm not satisfied with something just knowing it "works", I have to know what works the best. I do understand I'm not normal and most people are not like me! :rolleyes2 You should see me at the grocery store. I can't just walk up to a display of products I've never used and just grab one and go. I have to look at each option to compare them back and forth before I can decide. Otherwise I'd always be wondering, "what if....?"

I'm already itching to make my 3rd batch. Maybe tomorrow night! The problem is that I didn't order enough dye colors to really experiment with . But I just placed a new order with CandleScience and they'll be here on Friday. I do have a Vanilla FO that I could do and leave uncolored. Yeah! I think that is what I'm gonna do. :grin2:

Edited by zeoplum

I tested the first batch today. This is the yellow ones with 60% XceL and 40% PB. I had scented at 8% and the cold throw was so amazing it was almost overwhelming. But the hot throw was pathetic. My tart was a little bigger than 2 Scentsy cubes. I tested in my office where I normally only burn 1 Scentsy cube and can only stand to have it on for about an hour. Their stuff is so strong! My tart which was twice as big was only 1/2 as strong in HT. So mathematically, that is 1/4 as strong. I understood that I'd have to work with Soy to get the HT right but I didn't realize I was going to be THAT FAR OFF right off the bat. I'm going to blame the XceL since a lot of people who tested that at 100% in their containers said it was weak.

My 2nd batch was the pink hearts but it had even more XceL 70/30 XceL/PB so I'm expecting even less HT. Not planning to report back until after I test batch #3 which is the 50/50 blend. I also did a test batch #4 and it's still curing. It's the blend Suzy uses. 60% PB and 40% XceL. I scented that one with CS's Vanilla Hazelnut. I didn't really like it OOB but in my tarts, it's very nice!