"Cold Calling" on a new store ?

blacktieaffair

I want to take some of my creations into a store that carries a lot of rustic, mountainy type knickknacks , candles ( made by a lady I know ) , wood carvings, etc..

My business model ( A Black Tie Affair ) as far as the logo goes, is a more upscale black and white flowery image as a border for my melts, and my real business logo is an art deco type siloutte ( yes I know I spelled that incorrectly lol ) of a guy with a monocole, top hat, bowtie, etc...

I dont have an issue with changing my logo into a new"line" so to speak , kind of ... "Something-another by A Black Tie Affair " ( a division I guess you'd say )

My question is, should I make up a completely new tag for some of this stuff, beforehand, or leave the tags I have in the melts already, and assure her I can change them to a private label just for her, or what?

What we have done is to develop different lines, all under the same company name but packaged specific to each line. Our comfort line is packaged more country/rustic, our metro line is more edgey, our spa line is more refined/upsale, and our new mens line of candles is just that, for men, and our presentation will show that, hopefully.

I think something as simple as using different labels between lines makes all the difference. For example, our comfort line uses brown kraft labels, our spa and metro lines use clear "no label" look labels.

We omit our business logo graphic (a retro angel) for a few of the lines, which works just fine. If you want to keep your "real business logo" graphic, maybe toss a png file of a cowboy hat your guy's head to replace the top hat?

Hope some of this helps, HOW FUN !!! Good Luck

Edited to say: I would (we have) done custom labels specific to the line/store that we are cold calling

Edited by sisters3

Thanks sisters3, I was actually thinking about the kraft labels. Can you believe that as many candlers and such as there are around here, I haven't seen ANYone with a kraft label? I appreciate the advice. That is exactly where I was headed with this but it's so much more comforting to know what I had in mine, was a workable, doable, and already proven with others business model. You just took a load off of me ! Thanks so much

You bet ! We LOVE the brown kraft labels, the texture is super! That is suprising that your haven't seen any around. Its great though, you can get in there with them when no one else in your area is! Have fun no matter what you decide to do, the design of the lines is one of my favorite things to do. Get it laid out and make it your own :)

sisters3 - when developing a separate line do you use the same fragrances with just a different container or are the fragrances different for each line too?

Hi there, good morning! My sister picks the scents for each line, she's really good at it. Different line, different scents. We started experimenting with custom blends a few months back, some really good.....and some really bad :) But loving every minute of it!

Good morning to you too! I've been contemplating offering more than one line but wasn't sure if I needed to use different fragrances and containers or just fragrances. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

The only container that is used exclusivley for any particular line is our men's line container. I think its easier to differentiate between lines with scents and labeling (different graphics, different labels, etc.) Our "metro" line (still unsure of the name) I think will be the most difficult scent list to come up with. Good luck to my sister :)

Edited by sisters3

Good morning to yall ! Does anyone else have any suggestions about cold calling on a store ? :)

Every store where my things are out of state, they have gotten in touch with me instead of me having to call on them.

Just want to make sure I do this right..........

Plus, I think it might be a good topic to hang around for those who might be thinking about trying to contact a store to carry their products :)

Good morning to yall ! Does anyone else have any suggestions about cold calling on a store ? :)

Every store where my things are out of state, they have gotten in touch with me instead of me having to call on them.

Just want to make sure I do this right..........

Plus, I think it might be a good topic to hang around for those who might be thinking about trying to contact a store to carry their products :)

Are you talking about cold calling in person, or on the phone?

In person... how much stuff do I take? Do I go ahead and change the labels on what I have ( my look is art deco/upscale black and white, this is a very rustic themed gift shop) or do I leave the labels and if shes interested, then discuss what she'd like it changed to if she wants private labeling...Do I take order forms and a wholesale agreement on that first call, or get an idea what she wants , go home and work it up then go back ( the store is 4 miles from my house). Do I go in full blown salesmen or just take a very few things and guage interest? Thought about walking in like Little Red Riding Hood with a big basket of goodeys under my arm LOL.

As I said in another post, every store I have my stuff in, they contacted me , plus, I knew either the owner or manager at each one of the places so it was more of a "southern get together" yap session if that makes sense..

Do you plan on making custom labels for all customers that want it? Seems like a lot of work to change labels for a cold call, and have the possibility of customer not liking the new label. I would take what you have, and tell them you can create a new label for them (if you have ideas drawn out, maybe share with them). They may give you some good feedback.

Always have agreements with you. Most times they will say no, but when they say "yes" you need to get them signed up while they are in front of you. If you go back, they may change their mind, not be around, etc. etc.

I would also take a few of your top sellers, and gauge their interest from there.

Finally be prepared for rejection, and don't stop at one call. They may be busy, slow season, personal issues, etc. You never know what you will get with a customer. You call on them one day, and they will listen to everything you have to say. Call on them a few weeks later, and they have no time, or have no idea who you are.

I heard somewhere it takes a person an average of 7 points of contact before they become a customer. (calls, cold calls, advertising, word of mouth, etc.)

Thanks so much BottleCrafters! That is just the type of information I need. As for the labels, I wasn't going to change them for each new store ( unless they want private labeling and want to pay for that massive headache Im going to get lol ) But, I do need to get a more rustic label that will fit in more with this type of store. There are a massive ton of "those" types of stores up here... everyone wants bears, trees, mountains, etc in this area and that is what 99.9% of the "theme" is locally. I don't mind having a "sub line" with different labels , Im not changing containers or packaging so labels would be pretty easy to print out on a "need" basis .. provided I dont have a kaniption fit trying to design one ( can ya tell Im not really looking forward to that, but I need it to "fit in" here )

What "no soliciting" signs....:smiley2:

"Sorry sir/ma'am I didn't see the sign...but if you have a moment, I would like to show you some of the candles we have available to you wholesale that our customers love!"

"Sorry sir/ma'am, I always thought that meant you didn't want sales people soliciting your customers...any way, I stopped by to talk to you about our candles..."

Most sales people ignore those signs.

Edited by Bottlecrafters

I haven't ran into that YET but Im sure I will, if I can get up the guts, I'll do what BottleCrafters said... and guage interest... if nothing else, I'd leave a promotional package and say that I understand their policy of no solicitation but when they get a change to look over the material and I'll be happy to answer any questions they have, and bring/send/fax a price sheet.

Now , all of the stores I have things in, are small, so I dont like to leave them a price sheet. I like to carry it in, go sit down and discuss it with them because some places really want this and that, but they can't afford to buy X amount, so I'll haggle with them.

I dont know how that works where yall are from, but in the south, its not only expected that you haggle prices, it's pretty much mandatory in some little stores!

I have been in sales (not with candles) for 20+ years . I have seen hundreds, if not thousands of "no soliciting" signs. Ignored every one of them, never had a prospect/customer bring up the fact that they have this sign.

If someone did bring it up, I think my response to them would be based on their attitude.

Blacktie, I think you have the right strategy, anything you can do in front of them is better.

I have been in sales (not with candles) for 20+ years . I have seen hundreds, if not thousands of "no soliciting" signs. Ignored every one of them, never had a prospect/customer bring up the fact that they have this sign.

If someone did bring it up, I think my response to them would be based on their attitude.

Blacktie, I think you have the right strategy, anything you can do in front of them is better.

Me too! I agree 100%. I remember the first sales call I made to a business that had a "No Soliciting" sign. I asked my sales manager, who was with me, "What about that sign? Can we go in?" and she said very seriously, "WE'RE not solicotors." lol After that I always ignored the signs, and nobody ever said anything, but I thought it was because I was in business-to-business sales. I don't think it applies to wholesalers anyway.

Hi!

I disagree with those who say take what you have already... sorry! You only have one chance to make a first impression & I think you need to have your product as "in keeping" with the stores image as is possible. You want to peak their interest straight up & show them something they want to have NOW! Also, some people have little imagination- you need to SHOW rather than TELL.

You have enough things to think about/ worry about in cold calling anyway, why go in there with something else you need to discuss, when with a little effort you can "zap" that problem right off your list ;)

Also, be aware that the person "running" the store may not be their buyer/ owner. Unless you know for a fact that the person you need to deal with is there, I'd make enquiries to find out when they will be. It'd be awful to screw up your courage & walk in, only to be told the person can't help you, & you'll have to go back.

Just my 2 cents worth =)

Good Luck!!!

I have hit up four stores so far and nothing. They all have there brands and do not plan on changing! I do have one lady that is going to give me a little area in her store to do any type of set-up I want. Building my display now, planning on being in by March 1! I'm feeling it is a hard market to sell. :(

Im not adventurous to go into a store that is already carrying melts and the other stuff I do ( except soap, if they have cp, I will show them my mp)and try to change their mind. And NO one up here does the TPs. After I get into a few stores ( confident aren't I ? LOL ) then I will start hitting some stores and try to get my foot in the door. Im not above name dropping that " well, Im already in so n so and such and such, while Im expanding my stores, I wanted to come in and give you the opportunity to also carry my line... "

I think I would take in a few of your best, in your black tie. Sometimes they want something a little different. I think they would be cute in there. I always leave them one to burn. I would not bring up a new label, but if they say that is what they want, then explain that you would love to create a label that would work in there store. Tell them you wanting to try a brown kraft label and I bet it would be really cool in here. About solicitor signs, bring your product in and if they say anything, tell them you are not selling, you are promoting your business and would like to show them what you make. They will almost always ask to see what you have. If they decided they want to buy something. Hesitate for a minute and say......well, I guess I could sell you a few. Ok, I will let you. It works. If they are rude at the door, tell them you are sorry, let me get out of your way. I hate solicitors too. I said that a few times and they ask me to come back in.

Just a few thoughts... Cold-calling is TUFF. Years ago I beat the bushes and handed out samples and a sales pitch. After two weeks non-stop I had picked up one account. Later, after we opened a brick and mortar store, I was always amused to have people coming into our store cold-calling. We bought a time or two but generally said no thanks. If the person(s) were not well dressed, confident and had professional looking brochures I learned to dismiss them immediately. When you have a store, you must have a consistent supply of good, quality mdse backed up with great customer service from the supplier; we found that for the most part, mom and pop enterprises couldn't cut it. About that time we started attending the Dallas Market twice a year during their major shows. We saw the same type of people spending thousand of dollars to set up for retailers. Sort of a stationary cold call with retailers coming to them. Same thing. Cheap displays and brochures along with poor quality products and generally high pricing meant the people sat there for a week and sold little or nothing. The vast majority we see only once at market. As I see it, there has to be a reason, a very good fiscal reason for someone to try you and your products on for size. Selling wholesale is tough, but so is selling retail. Tons of people are trying to sell wholesale, so give the retailers a reason to help you while they help themselves.