Searching for wick hotter than CD10 but not as hot as CD12 in 415/C3

Hi everyone...I have been testing a combination of GB 415 and C3 with various fragrance oils. I'm finding that in my Universal Tumbler aka Crisa Jar with a diameter of 2.75 that my CD10s work well but there are fragrances that leave hangup even after 3rd burn. CD12s seem too hot. When I use a CD12 on those fragrances I achieve full meltpool within 1-2 hours in the first burn which I think is too hot...yikes!

I test the wicks in 3 hour intervals..meaning I've been burning them for 3 hours at a time to test. Is there a wick that would fit into this slot...of being hotter than a CD10 but not as hot as CD12??

Thank you!!

I am having a similar issue in 4630, same wicks sizes and diameter containers. You may find this crazy but here is one test I will do: CD-10 has a ROC of 0.23 and a flame height of 1.94; CD-12 is 0.24 and 2.39. Looking at CD-14 that wick has a ROC of 0.22 and a flame height of 2.02. Yes, I am going to try a CD-14, the lower ROC should give me a descent melt pool and the lower flame may give a intermediate heat. Another possibility would be an HTP105 or HTP1212.

All theory, not tested.

I actually have a CD-8 in a 3" status. I've tried 10, 12 & 14 these past weeks. They burn perfectly until 3rd or 4th burn, then go crazy. Pulsating, dancing, stretching, ugly flames. CandleScience suggests HTP73 in my size jar, which is equal to a CD-8 per the list someone posted. The 1st burn I tried left 1/4" hang-up. Burned well, trimmed wick to start a little longer then normal since it's so much smaller. I'll let y'all know as the burns go.

I actually have a CD-8 in a 3" status. I've tried 10, 12 & 14 these past weeks. They burn perfectly until 3rd or 4th burn, then go crazy. Pulsating, dancing, stretching, ugly flames. CandleScience suggests HTP73 in my size jar, which is equal to a CD-8 per the list someone posted. The 1st burn I tried left 1/4" hang-up. Burned well, trimmed wick to start a little longer then normal since it's so much smaller. I'll let y'all know as the burns go.
Can you direct me to the list? I am just wondering if it is different than the one I have. thanks

Can you direct me to the list? I am just wondering if it is different than the one I have. thanks

http://www.candlescience.com/learning/wick-guide.php

Don't treat it as "gospel"

You might also try a CDN10, which from what I understand may give you a bigger melt pool. Not sure about the heat, etc. I am just now pouring some containers that will have CDN10 to test.

Edited by Bottlecrafters

http://www.candlescience.com/learning/wick-guide.php

Don't treat it as "gospel"

You might also try a CDN10, which from what I understand may give you a bigger melt pool. Not sure about the heat, etc. I am just now pouring some containers that will have CDN10 to test.

Thanks. I do know this one. I thought maybe there was a list out there I have not seen. And by golly gee, I can't have that now, can I? HAHAH!

If this helps at all... CDN14 is the winner so far in most of mine using 415 in the 8 ounce square mason

I am finding even in the 464 the CDN's burn cooler and less mushroom than the CD's

And for some reason the 14 does a better job all around than the 12

See my post #3 here, CD-12 is a "bigger" wick than CD-14

Yes I see that on the charts... Every place you call and talk to has told me the 14 is bigger - they go in number sequence smallest to largest

I think that is what confuses a lot of people even myself! LOL

CD-14 may physically be a larger wick but it's properties are certainly less than a CD-12 (if one believes the data). Same fir HTP 126, people confuse that as being the next in line after HTP 105 but based on performance it comes after HTP 1312. How these all work in our systems can only be determined by testing but we should not rely on naming system as the total guide as to how we do our testing.

This is so interesting. I would have never thought to try the CD 14. So odd...I thought it was a typo on the guide. Well I'm trying the CD 14. Placed my order for CDNs and they should arrive today to test those too. I feel like a mad scientist!

It seems like alot of people love the CDNs. Do they bend as much as the CDs? Just curious since I know that they are pretreated a little differently.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. I've finally tested with CDN wicks. What I have found was that certain fo's need the CDN wick. So far I have 3 candle fragrances that need the CDN and that has worked out. So if CD 10 and CD12 did not produce a full melt pool and lots of hangup even by 3rd burn...I tested with CDN8 and CDN10 and those burned better! Anyway, just my findings.

Just an update. I've finally tested with CDN wicks. What I have found was that certain fo's need the CDN wick. So far I have 3 candle fragrances that need the CDN and that has worked out. So if CD 10 and CD12 did not produce a full melt pool and lots of hangup even by 3rd burn...I tested with CDN8 and CDN10 and those burned better! Anyway, just my findings.

So to clarify...You wicked a CD10 that did not get full MP, and switched to CDN8 and got full MP? And CD12 down to CDN10?