Lug or CT

NaturallyTru

I order 9oz straight sided jars from Fillmore. I popped on their site quickly to reorder; but couldn't recall which I bought - CT or lug. Looked at the lids and noticed that the silver CT lids are completely different and cute. argh!

So what is the difference between the styles? Any pros or cons? Besides the .06 difference for jar/lid combo.

ps...I know it is lazy of me to not get up to teh files and see what I normally order...lol

Edited by NaturallyTru

NaturallyTru,

I always enjoy your responses and can't believe that I can answer one of your questions. I had the same question, and spent about an hour on the web to figure it out... until I went back to Fillmore's site. I found the answer right there...

I find Fillmore easy to work with, Keith is super, they ship fast and secure, but their site is not so user-friendly.

I copied this from Fillmore's site:

Q. What’s the difference between CT & lug? A. These are the two primary types of containers and closures currently used in food packaging. Continuous-thread (CT) is the Mason-style closure mechanism where the jar and lid are both threaded in one continuous bead around the entire circumference of the opening; also referred to as “screw-on”. Lug is the closure system where the container has multiple threads and the lid has an equal number of lugs or tabs that grip the corresponding threads; also known as “twist-on”.

I copied it from http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/faq.asp

:smiley2:

Alpha1477

I used to pour in the 9 oz. hex jars with the lug. I DO think they look nicer but the only drawback for me was...people at shows opening them and not putting the lid back on tight. I would have to check every so often to make sure it was on right. People have a tendency to pick up jars by the lid...especially when you have them displayed tight together on your shelves. I didn't want to hear "whoops-the lid wasn't on tight and it fell". But...I have found even in a more controlled showing...like my Christmas open house here in my home...some people don't put ANY of the lids back on right.

I use Fillmore's Madison jars now with the fitment in the silver lid. And I also use the shouldered jelly jars with the antique pewter CT lids.

I prefer the lug lids. They seem simpler to use to me and look nice. I like that my customers can just do a simple twist to take the lid off. With CT you have to keep turning the lid several times before it finally screws off. The drawback to the lug is when packing them up I notice that sometimes the a lid or two is loose. Like Maggie says some customers don't put the lids back on and twist them closed. Seems a small inconvenience to me.