Unintended Bubbles in Pillar

tlc

I poured this pillar over the weekend. I ended up with lots of bubbles in the wax (wasn't planed). I used 1274 wax mottling wax and I tried some polyboost to see if I could stop the seepage. I didn't add any stearic this time and I went down to 4% fo load. I did have a tiny bit of seepage when I took it out of the mold that went away after a few house. The yellow candle's that KrazyKelly's inspired me to make something nice and bright. I've never made a yellow candle before so it was kind of fun.

Do you think the polyboost 150 caused the bubbles? I'm thinking yes.

02_5_2012011.jpg

02_5_2012010.jpg

I've been using Poly150 for several years and have never had a problem with it. Using it in 1274 I get a full/complete mottle. I stay in the range of 5% FO load. My pouring temps are usually around 175-180* if I'm going for mottle, and 160* if I want rustic.

From the pics, it looks like you got only a partial mottle & I have no clue as to why. What was your pouring temp and how much P-150 did you use?

What was your pouring temp and how much P-150 did you use?

I was going for a mottle. I poured at 180*F. I will have to check on the Polyboost.....

Ok, I just figured out what I may have done wrong. When you asked me Pam now much Polyboost I used I couldn't remember forsure so I looked on the website where I purchased it thinking that would ring a bell. Well it sure did. I put in 1 Tablespoon pp of wax and the website said to use 1 Teaspoon! Jeepers, I must have gave the poor wax an overdose. :embarasse *faint* I've never been known to be the sharpest tac in the box LOL.

Edited by tlc

A couple of questions for you. Did you pour fast? Did it cool rapidly? Reason I say is because it looks like some mottling tried to occur, but the bubbles look like trapped air.

This may be a mute point now that I admitted to adding too much polyboost but I did pour very slow and I wrapped the mold in bubble wrap. I didn't box the mold as it was very warm yesterday (78*F inside). The previous pillars I had done I thought I poured too fast so I sloooooowed it up this time. Kind of a weird looking pillar but kinda cool at the same time.

Vendor site recommendations for usage:

Polyboost 150 is for mottling wax. It will enhance mottling and allow you to add in excess 8% oil frangrance without bleeding.Melt Point: 146°F

Use 1 teaspoon per 1 pound of wax.

When I 1st checked into PB150, I was told to not go over 1% because it could lock up the fragrance just like vybar. Using it in 1274, I've never been able to go above 6% without weeping and I really hate wasting FO.

Use 1 teaspoon per 1 pound of wax.

Guilty!! Yep, I OD'd the poor wax and there's no doubt about it.

Using it in 1274, I've never been able to go above 6% without weeping and I really hate wasting FO.

I tried 6% too and it weeped (no additives & 1274 wax) so I tried the stearic(same 1274 wax) and fowled that up too. I got a real nice mottle but I had crud on the exterior and in the pot. I then thought I would try the polybooster and well,, we know what that did :rolleyes2

I hate waste too and I sure have been doing quite a bit of that here lately. Jeepers..