Ecosoya PB & what else?

megandgarr

Hi,

I have primarily been making my tarts with paraffin (pillar/container blend) for the last year plus, but I have never been fully satisfied with the longevity of them. I have yet to reach the 14 hour mark that many have been able to achieve. I am only a hobbyist, but I still want them to be great since I make them as gifts.

After plenty of research I decided to try a different wax. I know I want to try ecosoya PB, but I want to blend it with a bit of container blend (no preference of soy over paraffin) but I can not decide if I want to blend with ecosoya 135, 415, 4630 or possibly 6006. For those of you that make tarts with ecosoya PB, do you add a container blend, and if so, any recommendations? I make free standing tarts in silicone molds, and I dont mind freezing them to get them out of the molds or the electric warmer dish. I am mainly looking for the best hot throw possible - frosting, dimples, etc are not a big concern. I use FO's from Peaks, CS, JS, NG & The Candle Source.

Any input would be great, thanks.

Not all, but several of the reviews by PB users indicated that if they used it by itself it was brittle and chipped or cracked. I wanted to add about 25% container blend to make it just a bit creamier.

Suzy, I was looking into the Xcel but I shied away from it mostly because there werent as many people that have posted positive reviews of it compared to some of the other waxes (415, 464, 135, etc). I might consider the Xcel as well though. It sounds like you are having great luck with your tarts.

Proudmarinemom, do you find the 464 is similar to 415? I already have the 415 but I have never tried 464.

Thanks all and any additional input is welcome.

I use PB and 135 primarily- I have tried the 464 but they ended up frosting real bad on me after a couple of months- powdered sugar looking and I cant stand that look in a melt

I have been making them with PB and 415 for the past couple of weeks but again I am not in love with the looks of them and I have yet to test the scent throw of them against the 135

PB alone does not cut it for me for HT- it most definitely makes a difference for me adding a container wax- I use more container than PB and in votives I use more PB than container

Proudmarinemom, do you find the 464 is similar to 415? I already have the 415 but I have never tried 464.

When I tested 415 I liked the HT of the wax but not the appearance, always looked like mashed potates for me. So, switched to 464 and have stayed with that. It looks creamy and I can get nice tops. Plus, it does have a higher pour temp, which works for impatient me.

Since you are going to be blending 415 with PB, it might smooth out the wax. I'd give it a try on a test batch, see what you end up with. Then if you want to try 464 Aztec sells 5 lb samples and I think Candlemakers may still do 1 lb. Heck, I could probably send you a pound or two if you want to try it.

Moonshine, the frosting issue is why I started to add a little 4630. I don't like the look either in melts. So, just a little bit of that and I can use dark colors and get some nice, smooth melts. And, they don't morph on me after a while.

Edited by ProudMarineMom

Then if you want to try 464 Aztec sells 5 lb samples and I think Candlemakers may still do 1 lb. Heck, I could probably send you a pound or two if you want to try it.

I really appreciate the offer. I might take you up on that at some point. For now I think I am going to try a blend of ecosoya PB & 4630 since it will allow for deeper colors, plus I really like the throw of the 4630. Maybe that will be a good combination (although I dont like the idea of the longer cure time required with the ecosoya). I might even try a blend of PB, 4630 & 415 to see how that does.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

So candlescience recommened 6006 and I bought it. I hated it. I couldn't get the wax out of my clamshells. Is there a paraffin wax that is good for clamshells. I did use the PB before but I agree about the brittleness and now agree about hot throw.