4630 - Best % fragrance load for HT/CT

I find it depends on the FO - but my general is 1oz per pound

Thanks, that's what I started with on a couple of fo but it didn't seem to have that knock your socks off cold and hot throw that so many report from this wax. I was going to bump up the load but wasn't sure if there is limit before the throw started to actually get worse. The place I bought it says it can handle 10%, just not sure if that's what this wax needs for a great throw :confused:

Thanks, that's what I started with on a couple of fo but it didn't seem to have that knock your socks off cold and hot throw that so many report from this wax. I was going to bump up the load but wasn't sure if there is limit before the throw started to actually get worse. The place I bought it says it can handle 10%, just not sure if that's what this wax needs for a great throw :confused:

Oh, it so much depends on the FO, some I have tried some where the CT I can smell almost across a room and other where you can barely tell when your nose is in the candle. HT seems a little more consistent but still each FO has it's own throw.

Thanks for all the replys. Maybe I will go up 1% at a time to see how much difference that makes. I shouldn't need to add anything to this wax other than UV correct?

The wax works great as is but I am not sure that adding 1% more FO is going to help. Maybe there is something in your procedure is not quite right? I add my FO at 185, stir for about 2 minutes at 180 and then pour at 175. Wicks used and melt pool size also have a big affect in HT. HPT and CD wocks work well for me.

If I have to use up to 10% of any FO to get a good throw - I'm not using it. Besides the add'l cost, you get into the problem of soot & 'shrooms .

Some FOs throw better with a longer cure time too. Not all fragrances will give you that 'knock your socks off' throw either..........

Maybe the cure time is where I am messing up. My main wax is straight paraffin, and I am used to pouring on one day, doing my repour the next and lighting it up on the next with great results. I figured seeing it doesn't contain any soy that 48 hours of cure time was all it would take. I guess I need to stop being so impatient :) How long do you all wait to burn before determining whether or not a fragrance is a dud?

Maybe the cure time is where I am messing up. My main wax is straight paraffin, and I am used to pouring on one day, doing my repour the next and lighting it up on the next with great results. I figured seeing it doesn't contain any soy that 48 hours of cure time was all it would take. I guess I need to stop being so impatient :) How long do you all wait to burn before determining whether or not a fragrance is a dud?

I don't wait more that 48 hours to test a FO in 4630. As Pam W said above, it may help some. Peak's Patchouli doesn't do much for me in 4630, I may make a tester and leave it for a while and see. As I said above, I find the wicking of the wax to have made the biggest contribution to HT.

I lite some up the same day. Some that don't have an impressive HT, I'll set aside and retry a day or two later. I found a 'dud' in the closet a while back, lit it up and it ran me out of the room - it was probably 5yrs old -- so old that I don't remember what wax it was made with!!

And just to confuse you even more...hehehe - in my house, the HT all depends on where the candles are setting. If burning on one side of my bedroom, I get next to nothing - move the candle to the other side of the room and I smell it all the way down the hall and into other rooms.

Thank you guys for the help! I am currently testing zincs, cds, and lxs...I hope one of them will do the trick. I have also only made a couple of different scents so far so much more testing is in order.

Pam, I know what you mean about the placement of the candles. I have a smaller bathroom that is centrally located in our house that i can hardly smell any of my candles in, but stick the same ones in our bedroom, and the scent fills that room and the adjacent bathroom and entryway...go figure huh. :)

I go to 9 percent on the Harmony and the one thing that seems to make it throw even better is to mix it a bit with some wax that does not have all the additives in it. Dunno if I can support this theory with numbers, but I kinda wonder if the additives are a bit too much in the Harmony and "diluting" it is better. Of course, you tend to lose the single pour property depending on what you mix it with.

I go to 9 percent on the Harmony and the one thing that seems to make it throw even better is to mix it a bit with some wax that does not have all the additives in it. Dunno if I can support this theory with numbers, but I kinda wonder if the additives are a bit too much in the Harmony and "diluting" it is better. Of course, you tend to lose the single pour property depending on what you mix it with.

Trying to make a parasoy with 4630 so I like your theory but, hopefully, your observation won't be restricted to just adding another paraffin wax.

I have recently tried mixing a little of my straight paraffin with the 4630 but had less than stellar results. I had also tried mixing a little 6006 with it and that too didn't failed to give me a better product than the 4630 straight. Don't get me wrong, I really like this wax and I have finally managed to get a good ht but just wish I could up it one more notch.

I have recently tried mixing a little of my straight paraffin with the 4630 but had less than stellar results. I had also tried mixing a little 6006 with it and that too didn't failed to give me a better product than the 4630 straight. Don't get me wrong, I really like this wax and I have finally managed to get a good ht but just wish I could up it one more notch.

From searching the forum about 4627 vs 4630, most agree that 4627 has better HT than 4630, but is messier to get out of the bag and into the Presto. I don't have a problem with 4627 being messy, I just slice down the corners of the bag, pull the plastic away, and slice with a heated knife.

From searching the forum about 4627 vs 4630, most agree that 4627 has better HT than 4630, but is messier to get out of the bag and into the Presto. I don't have a problem with 4627 being messy, I just slice down the corners of the bag, pull the plastic away, and slice with a heated knife.

I have tried the 4627 and I did get a really good ht and ct from it but to me it lacked the smooth, rich ht that I am seeking. My two mainstay waxes at this time are a straight parrafin and the 6006. I love so many things about the 6006, but am always trying to better things and so the saga of experimenting continues :)

I have tried the 4627 and I did get a really good ht and ct from it but to me it lacked the smooth, rich ht that I am seeking. My two mainstay waxes at this time are a straight parrafin and the 6006. I love so many things about the 6006, but am always trying to better things and so the saga of experimenting continues :)

It's so interesting to hear you say that about 4627 lacking the "smooth, rich HT" that you're seeking, because I've been feeling the same way. I thought it was my imagination, until I burned some of my old 6006 candles, and both me and my daughter agreed we like the HT so much better with them. It's just more deep, rich, and satisfying somehow. I haven't tried the 4627 with all different FO loads, though, and only tried the HTP and zinc wicks.

Do you add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil per pound of wax to your 6006? I'm getting ready to try that.

Edited by HorsescentS

I haven't tried adding co to the 6006 yet. Although i'm not at all opposed to it, i'm still a little unclear as to the benefits of it. In regards to the 4630, in side by side tests with the 6006, the 4630 won everytime for ct and ht strength, but when assessing the depth,richness, and "better" ct and ht it was always the 6006. Now, how do we get it all :) ?????

I haven't tried adding co to the 6006 yet. Although i'm not at all opposed to it, i'm still a little unclear as to the benefits of it. In regards to the 4630, in side by side tests with the 6006, the 4630 won everytime for ct and ht strength, but when assessing the depth,richness, and "better" ct and ht it was always the 6006. Now, how do we get it all :) ?????

Interesting! As far as I can gather from reading here, adding CO to 6006 increases the HT a bit, also helps slow down the burn by hardening it a bit, and helps the appearance be more smooth and creamy, and stops it from shrinking away from the jar and developing wet spots. If I'm wrong, somebody will correct me.

I've made candles with 6006 that are stronger than the ones I've made with 4627, but I used a high FO load and stirred really thoroughly for at least 2 minutes or more.

Edited by HorsescentS

• 1 month later...

Okay, I'm just updating because I've changed my mind. I've decided I like 4627 better than 6006 and I'm going to stick with it. 4627 is working awesome for me with zinc wicks, so I'm much happier with it now. I might try CD wicks with it, too, because they burn hotter than zincs and might give an even better HT...but, that said, I am happy with 4627 and zincs.

Edited by HorsescentS