Feedback Request---My First Soy Candles

Hi All,

After a couple years break, I've picked up my candle-making hobby (err habit) again with soy (used to use paraffin).

I've spent hours on this site browsing the threads and re-learning. I debated between using C-3 and GW464 and finally settled on the 464 for the Hot Throw reviews.

Anyhow, I finally poured my first few candles this weekend. Used ECO-14 wicks, heated wax to 185 and added 9% FO (Beach Linen from CS), then stirred until 170 and poured. My house is fairly cool (68/69 deg) so I warmed my 12oz jars in the oven first.

Thoughts after 3 hours of test burning are: The HT is great :). I have a large living room and can pick up the scent as soon as I enter. Melt pool seems good, between 1/4 and 1/2". My only concern is that the flame seems a bit tall and flickers quite a bit even though I trimmed it to 1/4". Should I wick down? or try a different wick? Jar is approx 3". Any feedback is much appreciated!

post-14264-139458491503_thumb.jpg

post-14264-139458491507_thumb.jpg

I use 464, when I used it straight the tops were very smooth but I had many issues with frosting, no matter the oil or color. I tried pouring at all different temps and using coconut oil but it was still there. I wound up adding 4630 to eliminate the frosting. There are a lot of posts around that have all kinds of hints about tempering and other things but I'm not that concerned about using all soy so I had no problem using a little 4630 to eliminate the frosting. Some posters feel that people don't mind frosting but I have not found that to be true.

DO keep burning your candle for 3 hour test periods and keep detailed notes on what happens as far as sooting, heat of container, RoC, wick condition, flickering, discoloration of wax or MP, etc.

At this point, I think the container looks overwicked. I use that same diameter container with NatureWax C3 and I use a CDN 12 in it. Give CD or CDN 10-12 a try and see which of those 4 wicks works the best for you. 9% is a lot of FO to start with... I use 1 oz. PP and get a very good HT.

Is that a glare on the lit picture or is the flame that big? I agree with Stella, I think it is overwicked. Eco 14 is a really big wick. If it were me, I would pour another and go down two wick sizes, actually. Try an Eco 10 just to see what happens. You might even go as low as an Eco 8.

Not too shabby. I've found 464 really needs a higher fo load to throw and it needs to be wicked hot (fmp) c3 is better at 6-7% and will throw well while cool (not a full mp) When I worked with 464 I found that it really took a full melt pool to get a good throw. I would try an eco 12 in it (to tame the flickering) and work from there. I think lower down in the candle it might heat a bit too much. Like Stella said, keep detailed notes, melt pool depth over time, burn time, any mushrooming, flickering, flame height, I do melt pool temp too. I also weigh before and after each burn and record that (helps see when they start accelerating, and estimated burn time)

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies! Going to try the ECO 10 next. Now if only I could find a supplier in Nashville... soo don't like paying shipping :/. CandleScience is 10 minutes from my sister in NC. Will definitely have to stop when i'm there this spring :).

I briefly tested with 464 and gave up on it too quickly...I now use C3 and will stick with that now that I have the wicking down. You could try a blend to deal with the frosting issue OR try tempering the wax OR save yourself a bunch of headaches and do colorless. I like using color which is one of the main reasons I went to C3...rarely have any frosting issues :)