shea butter in body lotion

jackie

Does shea butter need to be whipped or something before adding to a lotion base? I melted a little and stirred it into a lotion base and now it doesn't feel "smooth", it feels like there's tiny little bits of something in there. It absorbs just fine--it's just the initial feel of it coming out of the jar that's not quite right.

Sounds like grainy shea. It's pretty common. I always heat and hold oils and butters for lotions (even anhydrous).

Bases aren't really designed for addition of oils/butters. The preservation system in the base may not be sufficient for your additions.

Edited by TallTayl

• 2 weeks later...

A 'base' is probably a self emulsifying system. Unfortunately there are limits as to how much lipid you can add to those things without the emulsion breaking down. Try raising the batch to 60-70C the next time and add the shea melted. Could help to add an addtional emulsifer if the emulsion won't sustain.

A 'base' is probably a self emulsifying system. Unfortunately there are limits as to how much lipid you can add to those things without the emulsion breaking down. Try raising the batch to 60-70C the next time and add the shea melted. Could help to add an addtional emulsifer if the emulsion won't sustain.

I would be concerned about compromising the preservation system. Most preservatives available to us require addition at much lower temps (in the 120 or less range). Without knowing the preservative used in the base I'd not add more as a 'just in case' since with many preservatives more is definitely not better.

Good point which is one reason not to use those bases. I should point out that all creams need to be raised to 70C to ensure sterilisation. All dangerous pathogens are killed at that temperature. I should think a commercial base probably uses parabens or parabens/urea which are not temp sensitive. There is a doctor of some kind who goes around my city making up creams for people out of a kit he carries, self emulsifying base I guess. No health department registration or anything.