Parasoy Blend Questions

I am currently using c-3 wax but I'm not getting a very good scent throw, so I'm considering switching to a parasoy blend. Since I really like the other characteristics of c-3 (one pour, creamy color), I would like to make my own blend instead of buying a blend. Do you think c-3 and j-223 would mix well? What percentage do you think would be best (50/50 75 para/25 soy)? Lastly: I currently use eco-wicks. Do you think this would be a good wick to stick with for a blend or do you think HTP might be better?

Thanks!

I am currently using c-3 wax but I'm not getting a very good scent throw

If you are not getting a good hot throw from C3, there is something wrong. If you are interested in working through your issues with C3, please supply details about the container (inside diameter and height), wick & size, FO and amount you are using, as well as how long you are curing before testing, temp to which the wax is heated, temp at which FO is added, etc.

However, I know nothing about paraffin so I can't help you there.

I use C-3 with eco wicks and the scent throw will knock you out the door. What FOs are you using? How long have you been working with 3? If only for a short while, you might want to try a little longer because I've never really heard scent throw in C3 being a big issue.

Here is a comment from another discussion Click but there are many choices and directions. I see 80/20 75/25, and 50/50 and is that para/soy or soy/para? There's 6 combinations to start with. As for HT and my readings here, you shouldn't have a problem with C3 and HT but not all FO are going to work in either soy or paraffin based on my experience. Some additional info you could provide (if you want to pursue this) is source of the FOs, percentage used in the wax, and curing time.

That said, I am now thinking of trying a blend, not for HT but for burn characteristics, hopefully I won't lose my HT for a better burn. Now do I go para/soy or soy/ para? :undecided

I've only used c-3 in the 5.25 oz Libbey Candle Bowl. The base diameter is 2.875" so I've been using an Eco-8 (based on the chart from Lonestar I'll post below). All of my fragrance oils are from Lonestar, and a few of them were even on this forum's list of soy wax recommended FO's from Lonestar (Ex. Cinnamon buns). I used approximately 1 oz of FO per pound of wax. I let the candles cure for about five days.

They had a pretty good - fantastic cold scent, but when they were lit...you can hardly smell them at all. The only weird exception were some wickless cupcake candles I made. I made a big batch of the c-3 with birthday cake scent from Lonestar: poured into one candle bowl, and used the rest to make tarts shaped like cupcakes. The lit container candle had NO scent throw, but the cupcakes had a SUPER strong cold and hot scent throw. I don't get why there would be a difference from the same batch?

Here is the chart I'm using to decide which wick to use:

Size

Recommended Application (diameter)*

ECO-1

Votives & Small Containers ( 1.25" - 1.5" )

ECO-2

Votives & Small Containers ( 1.5" - 2.0" )

ECO-4

Votives, Pillars & Small Containers ( 2.0" - 2.5" )

ECO-6

Pillars & Small Containers ( 2.5" - 2.75" )

ECO-8

Pillars & Medium Containers ( 2.75" - 3.0" )

ECO-10

Pillars & Medium Containers ( 3.0" - 3.25" )

ECO-12

Pillars & Medium Containers ( 3.25" - 3.5" )

ECO-14

Pillars & Large Containers ( 3.5" - 3.75" )

*These recommendations are based upon the wick being used in a soy wax.

Your info tells me the wax and FO are fine but the wick/burn setup is not. Based on posts here we know that CD wicks work well with C 3. I suggest you try some other wick combinations. Some suppliers do sell sample packs and CD wicks would be a great place to start.

IF you're ready to give up on the C-3 (though you may want to stick with it a while longer) and are interested in a parasoy, what about the IGI6006? I believe the ratio is 70/30 (paraffin/soy). CD wicks work well with the 6006 and I never had to do re-pours.

I am currently using c-3 wax but I'm not getting a very HTH

good scent throw, so I'm considering switching to a parasoy blend. Since I really like the other characteristics of c-3 (one pour, creamy color), I would like to make my own blend instead of buying a blend. Do you think c-3 and j-223 would mix well? What percentage do you think would be best (50/50 75 para/25 soy)? Lastly: I currently use eco-wicks. Do you think this would be a good wick to stick with for a blend or do you think HTP might be better?

Thanks!