titanium dioxide question--water/oil

jackie

Some titanium dioxide says for water and some for oil. Does it make a difference in CP soap making (other than which you dissolve it in)? Can both be dissolved in glycerin?

Also, candlewic has titanium dioxide at what seems a good price (8lb for $28 and since I'm buying wax too, it won't affect shipping much) but they've never tested it for soap (just wax) and don't know if it would work. Seems like if it's pure titanium dioxide, it should work.

Edited by jackie

Can't answer about Candlewic so I won't guess on it. I would seek out cosmetic grades that you know will be able to be dissolved in oil or water.

Yes, it makes a difference in how you dissolve it. The oil kind needs oils and the water kind needs water or it won't dissolve completely and could/likely will leave white flecks in your soap. I can't answer about glycerin. I have more luck with the TD that dissolves in water than I do in anything else. It takes very, very little water. You could take say a tsp of your water out before adding the lye and that should take care of the amount of TD that you use in most instances ... saying it's water soluable.