Fight!!!

Me and my wife went at each others throat today. I personal enjoy color and maybe just maybe faint f/o.

But I rather have no F/O and play with the design or colors...half my %%$*%*%*% wicking problems would be solved if I just pulled f/o. I like parafin but I noticed the prices are almost double then veggie waxes so I switched... plus I hate the slab thing, don't get me wrong if parafin drops in price I will one again buy it. But I like palm pillers for the way they burn,I like container candles for the ambiance and color. I don't like the F/O, for several reasons.

1. It makes wicking a pain in the ××× .

2. You have to figure what wax wick combo has the best heat throw, this take money and a lot of time:angry2:

3. Finding this mix takes a ton of time. The only reason I try to do F/O is because my wife likes it.

3. The CD wicks are my last hope to stop the wick from mushrooming,also all the waxes I use have a Max load of 6%.

4. Not a fan of blends unless I make them.

5. Most F/O stinks to me, very few produce a smell that I like and those usually have the worst throw.

That's about it. Am I so wrong?:grin2:

I'm going to paste a link to a F/O

https://www.candlewic.com/Store/Product.aspx?q=c92,p30,fScents

Given the temperature indicated I can only see this in palm piller wax.

So my question is to satisfy me and my....<sigh> other half

Can someone point me to a site with more soy friendly f/o for her

And molds for me! 180° for a f/o... holy macaroni! No wonder my fav black cherry f/o never worked!

I don't even think you have many if any parafins at this temp...maybe beeswax...even container palm is lower temp then that.

You'll have to think of another reason to fight! Both palm wax AND soy wax candles have great HT and burn well.

Rose works very well in palm wax and has a slightly softer scent in soy, which ever she prefers. You can keep your palm wax, she can have her scent and there can be peace in the Hunter home by New Year's Eve!

So my question is to satisfy me and my....<sigh> other half

Can someone point me to a site with more soy friendly f/o for her

And molds for me!

This company advertises their oils are soy based - and I've used their Country Berry and Mulberry with great success. I used it in CB-135.

http://www.northstar3c.com/shop/cms-display/splash.html

Sorry can't help you with molds - I only do containers.

"Soy friendly" is a blanket statement that can not really be answered. We'd need to know the type of soy and even then something that is considered acceptable to one would not be acceptable to another. The thread at the top of the veg candle making forum is a nice place to start.

The link you provided gave suggestions for when to add it. All the waxes I've seen should have fragrance added to them at around 180 including every kind of soy I've ever used.

Based on your posts over the last few days I would say maybe the best thing would be melts for fragrance and unscented candles for you.

So if you heat soy to 190 you can add this scent wait for it to cool then pour? If so I am goining to have a hissy with candlewicks videos!

I have many hobbies, bonsai in the sumer candles in the winter. I have always been a perfectonist. I like to understanding things. I am a spiritual person and know some things are far beyond human understanding...I should say I believe some things are beyond understanding. I'm 34 and at 32 was diadnosed with cancer in a very strange way , they could not find its nature except to perform two massive 11 hour lung surgeries(first one failed) find one lymph node.....ONE! (each of these surgeries put me in ICU for days I saw several people die and a 12-14 kid become a quadropeligic, not fun).

And at the end of this the good news.. I have lymphoma stage 4. They also proceed to tell me that the tumor that incased my right lung would have died on its own if left alone...sine that time things have not been the same. Chemo therapy robbed me of ever having children, unless God steps in that's how it stays. I always wantes to be a father so much(but that irrelevant now have to get back to what I wanted to say).So if sometimes I sound like I'm talking nonesens. Incomplete senteces, fragmented ideas and such it may be a bad day for me don't take offence or think I have lost my mind.

God bless have a Marry Christmas...on the west coast :laugh2:

And a happy new year. *drunken posting*

Edited by Gbhunter

Well really the bottom line is regardless of what wax you're always going to have a wicking issue unless you go wickless. All FOs do not require one set wick. Some will require wicking down, some wicking up. You should always know what your candle does, how it reacts under all kinds of situations.

For those starting out who want to learn the craft, it takes a lot of testing to produce a quality candle and if you really want to learn the ins and outs then you don't toss something away/aside because it didn't work one or 10 times saying you made a change each time. It might work out the 11th time. The ultimate goal is to make a good candle that burns properly from start to finish whether it is for personal pleasure or an eventual business on down the line. To get to that point usually requires some frustration and dedication to get to the ahhh/finally.

As for your issues with scent, that's something between you and your wife to solve. Fragrance will always be tied into wicking and how well it works in your medium of choice. What you want out of your candle is ultimately your decision and if you choose to market that decision then is when it becomes what the public wants too.

As for molds, what are you wanting? Peak's sells more choices than Candlewic I believe, but they don't offer silicone molds last I looked. They had some cool tin molds. Candles and Supplies used to have quite a selection too. You can Google for other companies. Most of what I've accumulated came from a company no longer in business. You might also take a look on ebay and see what pops up along with what companies are selling there as well. I think Candle Chem was there and they had their own store etc. Let It Shine I believe is another place for molds etc.

Most companies that carry fragrances have lists of what's soy friendly too. At least I believe they've expanded beyond what's gel compatible to include soy as well.

Many blessings to you, GB, for all that you have endured. Keep the faith! We all have good days and not-so-good ones. So long as you're still in there pitchin', the game continues! :smiley2:

So if you heat soy to 190 you can add this scent wait for it to cool then pour?

That depends on the particular soy wax. Some do better heating to 185°-190°F; others work better when heating just above the MP. Differences in FOs make a big difference as well as cure time, so, you see, it's not something about which one can just make a blanket, one-size-fits-all statement. That's why there are so many differing opinions out there. Soy is also influenced by room temperature, cooling temp and rate, humidity, so it's more complex than some may think. What works for one person in their candle room may totally mess up for another person...

There are so many candlemaking instructions and ideas out there... I have never found a site whose info I agreed with 100%. Home candle making is not an exact science, but, rather, a combination of science, craft and art. I compare instructions and information from many sites and sources and use the best of that to help me develop and refine my own personal methods. Comparing information can be very confusing, but candle making is no different in that regard from any other medium with which I have worked. Gather as much data as you can, try to find the points where most of the info overlaps then go for it and find what works best for you. Keep good notes! Testing one aspect at a time will get you where you want to go more quickly than testing many things at once, leaving you uncertain of which part(s) is giving you fits. Good luck with your quest! :smiley2:

Merry Christmas & onto to a wonderful New Year for you! It sounds to me like you're staying strong & have a good attitude. Happy New Year!

I have many hobbies, bonsai in the sumer candles in the winter. I have always been a perfectonist. I like to understanding things. I am a spiritual person and know some things are far beyond human understanding...I should say I believe some things are beyond understanding. I'm 34 and at 32 was diadnosed with cancer in a very strange way , they could not find its nature except to perform two massive 11 hour lung surgeries(first one failed) find one lymph node.....ONE! (each of these surgeries put me in ICU for days I saw several people die and a 12-14 kid become a quadropeligic, not fun).

And at the end of this the good news.. I have lymphoma stage 4. They also proceed to tell me that the tumor that incased my right lung would have died on its own if left alone...sine that time things have not been the same. Chemo therapy robbed me of ever having children, unless God steps in that's how it stays. I always wantes to be a father so much(but that irrelevant now have to get back to what I wanted to say).So if sometimes I sound like I'm talking nonesens. Incomplete senteces, fragmented ideas and such it may be a bad day for me don't take offence or think I have lost my mind.

God bless have a Marry Christmas...on the west coast :laugh2:

And a happy new year. *drunken posting*

Me and my wife went at each others throat today. I personal enjoy color and maybe just maybe faint f/o.

But I rather have no F/O and play with the design or colors...half my %%$*%*%*% wicking problems would be solved if I just pulled f/o. I like parafin but I noticed the prices are almost double then veggie waxes so I switched... plus I hate the slab thing, don't get me wrong if parafin drops in price I will one again buy it. But I like palm pillers for the way they burn,I like container candles for the ambiance and color. I don't like the F/O, for several reasons.

1. It makes wicking a pain in the ××× .

2. You have to figure what wax wick combo has the best heat throw, this take money and a lot of time:angry2:

3. Finding this mix takes a ton of time. The only reason I try to do F/O is because my wife likes it.

3. The CD wicks are my last hope to stop the wick from mushrooming,also all the waxes I use have a Max load of 6%.

4. Not a fan of blends unless I make them.

5. Most F/O stinks to me, very few produce a smell that I like and those usually have the worst throw.

That's about it. Am I so wrong?:grin2:

You will spend more money on testing veggie wax, than you're saving by buying veggie wax instead of paraffin. It's false economy. I have read many comments on this forum from chandlers, who say they spent thousands of dollars testing soy or palm before they developed a line of candles they were satisfied with. Some spent hundreds or thousands and then gave up. A chandler here said it very well, "Soy is a fickle mistress."

I think you'll be much happier and spend far less money working with paraffin.

Aside from the fact that Glass Glow palm is very beautiful, none of the hype about veggie wax being greener or cleaner-burning is true anyway, so if you don't live in an area where everyone demands veggie wax candles, there's no point in tearing your hair out and pouring money down the drain learning to make them.

But if you're committed to making soy candles anyway, CandleScience.com is a good place to learn and get all your FOs for awhile.

Edited by HorsescentS

You will spend more money on testing veggie wax, than you're saving by buying veggie wax instead of paraffin. It's false economy. I have read many comments on this forum from chandlers, who say they spent thousands of dollars testing soy or palm before they developed a line of candles they were satisfied with. Some spent hundreds or thousands and then gave up. A chandler here said it very well, "Soy is a fickle mistress."

I think you'll be much happier and spend far less money working with paraffin.

Aside from the fact that Glass Glow palm is very beautiful, none of the hype about veggie wax being greener or cleaner-burning is true anyway, so if you don't live in an area where everyone demands veggie wax candles, there's no point in tearing your hair out and pouring money down the drain learning to make them.

But if you're committed to making soy candles anyway, CandleScience.com is a good place to learn and get all your FOs for awhile.

Very good advice. Another alternative is to make a para-soy blend (somewhere in the 80/20 ball park), that will help offset some of the paraffin costs and maintain the ease of working with paraffin.

Very good advice. Another alternative is to make a para-soy blend (somewhere in the 80/20 ball park), that will help offset some of the paraffin costs and maintain the ease of working with paraffin.

Yes, or he could try IGI 6006 parasoy to start off, like I did, and use zinc wicks which work well in it. It's not hard to work with at all, and many people love it. But because it's got 30% soy in it, he'll have to stick to FOs that throw in soy.

He might not like the fact that Zincs tend to mushroom, but the container candles I buy from the store mushroom too, and I really don't see anything wrong with mushrooms at the end of a 3 hour burn session. It's a good reminder to trim the wick. I always thought mushrooms were normal.

Edited by HorsescentS