Need help...anyone a math whiz that can help?

Lorraine

Whisper Girl~ too funny! I'm so terrible at math and need all the help I can get!

Thanks for your reply Georgia, and for the online conversion link!!! Wow! I have book marked that for future reference and hopefully will be able to figure out how to use it! LOL! I'm so bad! But at least my hubby can help me there!

periwinkle~ how did you do that! LOL!!! You must be a whiz! You're incredible! Thank you!!! So appreciate your help!

length of your mold x width of your mold x height/depth of soap bars x .40 = ounces of soap formula

I found this on another website. Now, that doesn't work for mm....194400 ounces. :shocked2:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ this works for converting anything

90mm = 3.5"; 60mm = 2.6" (3.5x3.5x2.6)x.40=12.7 ounces

hope it helps...

that's to calculate the amount of oils needed to fill a mold with CP soap. not correct for MP soap.

This may be splitting hairs but determining volume isn't the same as determining capacity. While volume can be determined by length x width x height, with capacity you also have to consider wall thickness. A cube with a thin wall will obviously hold more than the same size cube with thicker walls. Just thought I'd throw another wrench into the equation...lol

*hiding*

I have book marked that for future reference and hopefully will be able to figure out how to use it!
I use this frequently and I also have this little application that converts and figures out all kinds of stuff installed on my desktop it's a free download (Convert for Windows http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/ ). My brain would completely melt down without those two math "cheats" LOLOL
My husband is a mathematical whiz! He says to pour till it over flows - that should be enough.
I like how your DH thinks! Whenever faced with this kind of question, I think there's nothing wrong with just filling up the mold and weighing it (and remembering to write the weight down somewhere you'll remember to look)... usually I can always pour the stuff right back out with no problem if I'm quick like a bunny. I don't know if this would be easy with M&P or not, but it's a really quick way to figure it out... Don't try this method with concrete and please don't ask me how I know to warn about this...

It really IS better to learn how to figure this stuff with math (or *gasp* formula) so you can calculate rather than having fill the mold with stuff and weigh it every time this question arises...

If a square was 90mm length, 90mm width, 65mm height....how much would this hold in ounces?
Now, I could not be considered a mathematician even if you were on hallucinatory drugs, but I am a pretty good "figurer"... Here's how I would figure out the answer to this question:

Multiply the 3 measurements to get the volume in cubic mm.

90 x 90 x 65 = 526,500 cubic mms

Then go to Online Conversion and convert cubic mms to US liquid ounces (a VOLUME measurement)

526 500 cubic millimeter = 17.803 082 952 ounce [uS, liquid]

BUT

That's VOLUME (liquid) ounces, not WEIGHT (mass) ounces. I've never used M&P, but unless I am mistaken, it is weighed, same as the ingredients in CP are weighed (separately). So you'd need to know how much the actual M&P weighs to find out how much in weight (ounces, grams, pounds, kilos, etc.) it will take to fill 526,500 cubic mms, the volume of the mold.

Here's how I would figure out how much the stuff in the mold weighs...

Multiply the 3 measurements to get the volume in cubic mm.

90 x 90 x 65 = 526,500 cubic mms = 526.5 cubic centimeters or V

Pour 100 CCs or MLs (1 cubic centimeter = 1 milliliter) of the stuff into a container, (tare the weight of the container before pouring, of course). This tells us how much 100 CCs of the stuff weighs (in grams or kilograms or ounces or pounds, depending on the unit of weight you set on your scale).

Now, divide that weight by 100. That tells us how much 1 cc of the stuff (M&P or whatever) weighs. or W

Finally, multiply the weight of 1 cc by the number of 526.5 cubic centimeters contained in the mold (volume - 526,500 cubic mms = 526.5 cubic centimeters). That tells us how much of that particular stuff the mold holds by weight. (V x W = TW (total weight)

Someone more mathematically inclined could simplify the formula, but I think this should work for jello or M&P soap or baked beans, etc. :yay:

I think...:laugh2:

Edited by Stella1952
had this corrected by someone smarter than me