Soap base cooling too fast when pouring

SuzyK

I am having a blast making soap. I bought 2 different bases from NG. The glycerin base and the yogurt base. They are both great bases and make my skin feel great.

The yogurt base is the one I am having a problem with. It cools really really fast and I'm not getting great results. I may just switch bases since I only bought a little bit.

The molds I am using say to pour no higher than 145 degrees but by the time the soap gets to that degree there is already a layer of skin on the top so when it pours, it is clumpy.

Also, while I am pouring it cools and I am reheating but then there's clumps again. The back of the soap doesn't come out smooth either.

Is there anything I can do?

I always heat my base up to 185 degrees F. Sounds like you aren't heating it hot enough. "Skin" forms when the base is too cool. BTW-- all M&P bases are made with glycerin in them. Eg., goat milk has glycerin, yogurt has glycerin, shea butter has glycerin, clear has glycerin, white has glycerin, etc. and so on.

Thanks! I will try heating it a bit more I am not sure if that's how hot it got. Will that help with having to let it cool to 145 when pouring? I am using the double boiler method because I don't have a microwave.

Thanks for the glycerin info. That's what the bases I bought are called -Yogurt base and Glycerin base.

Susy-- it helps to use a thermometer when you are working with heating and cooling temps for M&P. You definitely want to heat your base up higher to around 185 degrees F. Then take it off your heat source, mix in your additives, then blend thoroughly. Let your base cool down to your pouring temp before pouring into your mold.

If you got instructions with your mold to not pour your base in hotter than 145 you should let it cool down back down to that temp. Remember that M&P is pretty flexible so don't be afraid to heat it up a little. Just watch your temps carefully. After a while you will get better at knowing how to work with your base.

Actually your mold can withstand higher pouring temps. The problem is after time it will create leaks and wear and tear in your mold at a much faster rate if you pour higher than its recommended pouring temp. So don't panic if you pour a bit higher just don't do it all the time. Take care of your mold and it will last a long time.

I have been doing all that except not checking what temp it was at the time it was all melted. My problems is the base is almost solid by the time it cools down to 145 degrees. Even by 160 degrees it is a bit clumpy. I may just have to go with another base.

I figured the molds could withstand a bit higher since I can pour wax melts as high as 160 in my portion cups.

I've never used a yogurt base and was wondering why you want to use it? If you want a great milk base goat milk is by far the best. If you are wanting a milk but want to go vegan use coconut milk in a white base. Any milk is good for the skin and nutrient rich but goat milk is the best I've used. You can always use a white base and add your milk to it. Cheaper that way and you have control over how much or how little you want to use.

I personally use a triple milk blend in my soap, buttermilk, goat milk, and coconut milk. Love the rich, creamy lather.

I don't know why either. lol. It just sounded nice on the site. It is a great soap and lathers really well and leaves my skin smooth- so that's good. I am definitely going to switch to a goat's milk base. I just thought maybe in the mean time, there was something I could do until I run out of this base. I did pour it right away last night and it was a little better but not great.

Thanks so much for your help!

My 2 cents.... I think the NG yogurt base is phenomenal. I make a beautiful swirled soap with it that may very well be my best selling soap of all time. The feel is lovely and yogurt is a great perk for selling. That said, I am puzzled with the difficulty that you are having with this base SuzyK. I have not had any of the issues with a fast set like you have described. I use the yogurt base first and when it sets a bit, I swirl in brightly-colored clear base. I have never had a problem with the soap setting that quickly. Most of my base is in a melter. However, I use the microwave for the yogurt soap.

I totally agree with you. It's a great base. It seems to need to be heated to a higher temp and pour right away. If the mold can withstand the heat, it's great. I poured at a higher temp last night and it worked a lot better. I'm sure if I played with it a bit longer and really figured it out, I would love it. But it's expensive from NG since I'm in Oregon so I'll probably order from Brambleberry and they don't have the yogurt base.

I don't have a microwave so I am using the double boiler method. I need to buy a melter for soap.

I have an idea that the lower heat temp with the double boiler method is probably causing most of the difficulty and why your base is cooling too quickly.

I use a rice cooker I got at Walmart. Its from Aroma and holds ten cups of cooked rice. That means I am able to put 8-10 lbs of base in, set it on the cook white rice setting, and in about 15-20 minutes the base is melted. It melts it to a steady 185 degrees so I turn the cooker to the low "warm" setting to keep the base warm until I use it. I just love my rice cooker! Just wish I could find a larger rice cooker!!!

That's what I am guessing too. I'm not a fan of the double broiler method. lol. I have a Presto pot for melting my wax and would love something similar for melting soap. I will look into the rice cooker you're talking about!

I have an idea that the lower heat temp with the double boiler method is probably causing most of the difficulty and why your base is cooling too quickly.

I think you are absolutely right.

About your rice cooker... Have you looked at Asian food stores? I have seen some HUGE rice cookers for sale.

I think you are absolutely right.

About your rice cooker... Have you looked at Asian food stores? I have seen some HUGE rice cookers for sale.

What a good idea! Unfortunately I live in a country town and no Asian stores around here. You know, I haven't tried any online kitchen supply stores either. I hope Santa is reading this thread. I want a new soap melter (rice cooker) for Christmas! LOL