wax choice?

I do mainly paraffin pillars and after testing 4 different waxes and experiments with multiple styles of pillars, I found that I enjoy making rustics and mottles so I've been using the same mottling pillar wax for 3-4 yrs because it gives consistant results.

I do mainly paraffin pillars and after testing 4 different waxes and experiments with multiple styles of pillars, I found that I enjoy making rustics and mottles so I've been using the same mottling pillar wax for 3-4 yrs because it gives consistant results.

Thanks for taking the time to reply :D

Why did you choose paraffin over a vegetable wax?

I knew I didn't want to do candles any time soon. For me, too much testing, too expensive, I dont have the patience, plus, it was just getting into the era of wax melts, and different types of attractive scented home decor. What I did, was read a board forum ( Bitter Creeks) for literally 3 years before I ever purchased much less made my own stuff. I would ( and still do ) read everything I can get my hands on, whether its about actual candles or whatever ( cept CP soap, thats another "not going there yet " thing for me )

I just read and read, and asked probably 10zillion questions. When it came time for me to start buying wax and everything else, I had an idea what I wanted ( a wax that had good adhersion, great scent throw, as little cure time as possible , as close to one pour as I could get in case I started making candles,... ) I pretty much wanted a "one stop wax". Something I could use for as many products as I could, so I settled on testing IGI 4794. It's not let me down yet and luckily I got the results I wanted, first time out of the gate.

That's how I ended up deciding. I had the luxury of doing nothing but reading for a very long time.

I started buying soy candles from a mother/daughter team and loved how they smelled and burned and decided to use soy because of that. I experimented with 3different types before choosing the C3...did lots of reading on this forum and user reviews on supplier sites and then my own testing...hth

I have tried many waxes both soy (5) and paraffin (3) and have not settled on a particular one yet, so I did not start off knowing what kind and type of wax I wanted to use. I do know that I eventually want to have 1 soy, 1 paraffin, and 1 pillar wax to work with.

I only do wax melts ... no candles ... and I'm strictly soy. I have no desire to be seen out in my driveway beating the crap out of a block of paraffin. LOL Seriously though, I love the ease of the soy flakes. I've tried three ... EZ Soy (horrendous frosting issues), CBA (awesome look but hot throw non-existent), and EcoSoya PB which I'm perfectly happy with so will stick to it.

I have tried many waxes both soy (5) and paraffin (3) and have not settled on a particular one yet, so I did not start off knowing what kind and type of wax I wanted to use. I do know that I eventually want to have 1 soy, 1 paraffin, and 1 pillar wax to work with.

rj, in my travels I found that IGI 1274 allowed me to make beautiful mottles AND rustics - the difference between the two is the pouring temp. It gives a perfect mottle without having to add more FO (which eventually seeps out) when poured around 180*, drop the pouring temp to 155* and you can get nice rustic. It's also possible to get a plain, shinny candle by adding some vybar which will kill the mottle but I rarely go there cause I think a plain, shinny candle is boring...

Edited by Pam W

I tried a bunch of different waxes before choosing. When I started I bought some paraffin on ebay that was unmarked and came in 5 pound bricks. It was fun. Dunno what it was but it threw well. Then I went to soy after reading all the hype about how great the throw was and bought 135. What a sent killer! Then after a few months of playing I found this board and lurked.

So after trying a lot of soys and palms and paraffins, I've settled on a few that work well for the purpose.

I knew I wanted to work with a parasoy wax (love the best of both worlds kinda thing) --- so I chose suppliers close to me and tested a couple of waxes, then chose which worked best for me. I just think it's important for the wax supplier to be close due to the high shipping costs. Sure, there may be a better wax out there, but if I'm happy with what I have, why choose a supplier on the other side of the continent for a wax that may or may not be better. Just my way of thinkin'....