Yankee Candle Store

These are my FINAL POINTS or better yet "Clarifications"! Promise!

Paraffin will be affected. You've been fed the line that it is a by-product. The fact is, there is no such thing as a by-product if there is a market for it... and there is. It is a product, not a by-product.

Paraffin is a by-product! The fact that you think I have been fed a line or BS is very humorous to me. I am a regulatory consultant (Federal Agencys including EPA) for the very oil companies that you are talking down. The information I've shared about paraffin and about oil not running out in the next 100 years is based on FACTS not something I've read like you. I travel all over the world working in oil fields, refinerys, petro-chemical and power plants (both clean fuels and non) and I am telling you that YOU ARE WRONG! What you are reading is based on theroys and biased opinions, not actual facts.

Your China statements are speculation, and when you buy soy it does support US farmers... because US farmers grow soy and a hell of a lot of it... You also don't seem to know how soy works in the US anyway. We subsidize it so much if any other area in the world could grow as much as us, they wouldn't be able to compete with our price on the global market.

Government subsidy still cost money, you forget about cheap labor and servitude in other countries. You need to get out more offten. I personally have seen it with my own eyes not from some market report or from the BS that a manufacturer is selling you. BTW, I grew up around Farmers and still live next to them some of them being Soy Bean farmers. I see what they go through to get a healthy crop and how hard it is to get good prices. What you don't get is that U.S. farmers sell their beans first to the high demand markets at a high price and to subsidise their less improtant markets (Soy Wax) they will buy oils from South America where if is much cheaper to produce.

Yes, not yet. Green energy is not a pipe dream it is happening now and will only grow.

I didn't say it is a pipe dream, Green Energy is real, it is good and is in production now. It's just not a viable replacement for fossil fuels right now and for a long time to come. My point was you cannot live without petro-chemicals (you know from oil), green energy has nothing to do with the products made from oil products including the very equipment green energy products are made from.

I said when it runs out, either 50, or 100. It will run out, it is a fact. People like you don't understand how important it is to support sustainable products and services so if that were to happen "90%" of the world's population wouldn't die. It is ironically people like you that would make all those people die. If there were more people like me 40 or 50 years ago you wouldn't even consider that.

Again, it's not running out anytime soon. I understand sustainablitiy better than you but I am not living under the illusion that we can make a clean switch and suddenly everthing will be better. It is people like me that will have to feed people like you if that were to happen.

Crop disasters happen, and oil rig explosions happen. If you live in fear like you seem to be doing you'd never achieve anything.

Live in fear? I don't live in fear! I live quite well with the money I earn from the petroleum and power industries and some of my achievements is to ensure dependant people like yourself have those wonderful products that you all so enjoy and the electricity to enjoy them with.

We're not going to convince each other. I can re-grow soy. I cannot grow paraffin. Soy is also cheaper and has better burn qualities. Once someone goes big with soy it will all be over. You paraffin users will be at your table saying, no it really is the same, see this report done 10 years ago? I won't have a problem with that... won't affect my business any.

It was never my intentions to convince you of anyting other than to do more research before you speak and don't talk bad about other peoples choices. What you do and why you do it is your choice and your buisness and mine is mine. I respect your choices and want respect for mine without having to read about "Green", "Sustainability", "Clean", "Renewable", "Farmers". "Deepwater Horizon" or "Bio-Anything" evertime this topic comes up. It's unsubstantiated "Green Washing" and it's getting old!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My apologies to the OP for replying to the hijack...

It's unsubstantiated "Green Washing" and it's getting old!

I agree. Shallow thinking in a fact-free environment happens at both poles of environmental issues. Believing the "party line" and "talking points" of either side is a sure road to ignorance. And that kind of discussion has definitely grown old.

My research is in carbon storage and systems of extraction (carbon trees, bio-mass storage systems) formally geoengineering and I understand the system well. If there were no coal, or oil based industrial revolution we would be better off (environmentally) the fact is... it happened and we need to work to stop it (releasing of more... previously stored carbon) and frankly reverse it. The research I have seen shows the population boom that is set to happen in the next 30-40 years if we don't move towards sustainable energy there will be no oil left and our grandchildren will see this. Oil is not infinite, it WILL Run out. We could find a little more here or there but for all intensive purposes we will be out. You say green energy is real but isn't an option yet... that is the point. We need to make it an option and to get it as affordable as gas we would need to start now and support it.

It only takes one step, and the funny thing is now after this I feel like I want to begin advertising my company is all soy.

EOS

The research I have seen shows the population boom that is set to happen in the next 30-40 years if we don't move towards sustainable energy there will be no oil left and our grandchildren will see this. Oil is not infinite, it WILL Run out.

So what? God gave us stuff to use. Do you sit around looking at food in your refrigerator and not use it because you might use it up?

Humans were given brains. When we run low on something, we invent a replacement.

Lordy, I get sick of the "we're running out" mantra.