Palm testing

Since my 2 year old has decided to dance "like the candle" :angry2:, I guess a few questions are in order.. It's still a torch after 2 hours. I thought the torch effect was just at the beginning?

8oz jj, Glassglow, CSN 12, creme brulee.

In searching the forums, I've found wick recommendations anywhere from CSN 11-14 & today I found CSN 9. There's still a ledge on just over half the diameter of the jar, but good grief, this is a torch. :mad:

(I can't post pictures; computer & memory card are mad at each other....)

I don't know how the sizing runs on CSNs, but people new to palm wax typically overwick it because they don't understand how palm wax burns. The shelf is normal - it diminishes and finally disappears over future burns. You won't see complete clearing of the sides until the halfway mark or below. I don't have much trouble with the torch on the first burn but I use CDNs, so I can't help ya there...

To give you some kind of idea, I posted some pics of a 12.5 oz. status jar burning in the thread below, if that helps. It was a wonderful candle - hated to see it go... must make mo'...

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?89992-Dollar-Tree-Status-Type-Jar-amp-Glass-Glow-Container&p=831493#post831493

Get your vacuum and suck the dust out of that memory card slot! :laugh2:

Edited by Stella1952

Ya don't need to use Permatex for testers, Beth - just makes your life harder to get them off when you go to reuse the container for testing other stuff... Try high temp hot glue for testers - it works plenty well enough for that. Just watch the wick when the candle gets to the all-liquid point at the end of the container.

Ya don't need to use Permatex for testers, Beth - just makes your life harder to get them off when you go to reuse the container for testing other stuff... Try high temp hot glue for testers - it works plenty well enough for that. Just watch the wick when the candle gets to the all-liquid point at the end of the container.

The high temp glue will work for palm? Cuz the wick stickers sure floated when I poured, lol. I'd almost rather just use the permatex; I hate using hot glue. Too messy :) But, yes, re-using the jars for testing is a bonus.

With NG Creme Brulee and GG Palm I had a good burn with a CSN 7 in the 8 ounce jelly jar. The flame was a little small on the initial burn, but was fine after. This was last year and I never torture tested it or tried a CSN 9 (never got around to offering Creme Brulee for sale). But the 7 had full MP with no hangups by the 34th burn and did not smoke or soot the jar at all. Lasted 39 hours. There, I gave away a trade secret, LOL! My 2 cents.

Oh, and never had problems with wick stickums as long as the glass was washed. But unwashed glass always released.

Edited by Wessex

With NG Creme Brulee and GG Palm I had a good burn with a CSN 7 in the 8 ounce jelly jar. The flame was a little small on the initial burn, but was fine after. This was last year and I never torture tested it or tried a CSN 9 (never got around to offering Creme Brulee for sale). But the 7 had full MP with no hangups by the 34th burn and did not smoke or soot the jar at all. Lasted 39 hours. There, I gave away a trade secret, LOL! My 2 cents.

Oh, and never had problems with wick stickums as long as the glass was washed. But unwashed glass always released.

thank you so much! I just love Peaks Creme Brulee; gotta make it work, lol! And the glass glow turned out sooooo pretty. Evidently, I better stock up on the smaller CSNs..

I've had good luck so far with the wick stickers from CandleMaker's Store, but not with palm. I always wash the jars, but as soon as I poured palm, my wicks were floating, lol.

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

I use palm and wick stickums and never had a problem. I use the ones from BCN.

As far as wicking......definitely go down. I have found in jelly jars that either CSN 5 or 7 works. There are a couple I have to go up to a 9. I use Creme Brulee from BCN and I use a CSN 7. As earlier stated, they always catch up in the end. I make sure I try to remember to tell all new customers that too.

I'd definitely wick down. I only use CSN 12s in 16oz salsa jars. Right now I am testing a CSN 6 in a 4oz hex jar and getting a more normal burn and flame height.

When I'm trying out CSN wicks for new jars I automatically go for the next size down from CS' wick guide recommendations.

BTW-- I use hot glue to anchor my wicks. Just make sure you use the dual temp glue sticks. It MUST state on the package that the glue can be used for high temps. I buy the Sureblend All Purpose Stik Glue Sticks at Ace Hardware. Never had one come lose when pouring hot palm wax or when burning the candle down to the wick tab. Always stayed glued in place. When I decide to reuse the jars I have to pry the wick tab off. I'd rather do that than have one come lose on a customer.

I'd definitely wick down. I only use CSN 12s in 16oz salsa jars. Right now I am testing a CSN 6

Candybee, where are you finding a CSN 6 or is that a typo? CS only has 5, 7, 9, 11, 12, 14 & 16's.

I just ordered from there this morning. Trying to wick Peak's 11 oz tumbler with GG.

Edited by IwantItgreen

I emailed CS about the CSN wicks and how they could be used with soy (since I bought too many of the larger ones evidently :) )

She said to try a CSN12 in my 8 oz jj with my 415. Has anyone here used CSNs with soy? She also said to use CSN9 & 11 in my jj for palm. So I guess I need to try all 3 (7.9.11), lol.

I emailed CS about the CSN wicks and how they could be used with soy (since I bought too many of the larger ones evidently :) )

She said to try a CSN12 in my 8 oz jj with my 415. Has anyone here used CSNs with soy? She also said to use CSN9 & 11 in my jj for palm. So I guess I need to try all 3 (7.9.11), lol.

I actually tested one jar with 415 soy with CSNs for a store that wanted some special candles made up for X-mas. The CSNs worked pretty good in it. I don't do soy anymore but they requested it and I had some laying around so I tried it. But I would probably do more testing using CSNs if I still did soy.

They were 8 oz mugs and I think I remember using a CSN 11 but I did not keep any notes. Not planning on doing them again so no need to keep notes.

Edited by pcbrook