Hello.

New here I live in AZ and I am new to candle making. I joined this site to meet others in my area to learn tips tricks and where to buy locally. I have found a few people local but I can't message them tells me I don't have rights or something... can't even contact an admin I can't even view my own profile... what gives?

Hi! I'm from SoCal, and new tto candle making too. I suggest reading, reading, reading. There is a wealth of info here.

And you have to be a member for 30 days, and have at least 8 posts to have access to profiles and pm's, as well as some other areas of the board.

What kind of candles are you interested in making?

welcome - I'm also in AZ and there really isn't anywhere to buy locally. The craftstores do carry wax, FO & wicks; low quality on the FOs and wick selection is limited. You can make a decent candle with their wax but you'll pay several $ more per slab.

I order a large amt of my stuff from Peaks in CO - they are the host of this forum and good people to deal with.

There are a few more desert rats here & they'll no doubt pop in soon.

Welcome! Check out the sticky posts at the top of the forums to answer questions, find links to suppliers and lots of other stuff. While you are waiting on your privileges to expand, join the chatter in the threads - ask questions, contribute knowledge, laugh along with the rest of our merry band of nutbars! :-)

Yeah, a few of us in AZ. Pam is right, there's no supplier that you can buy from locally that has good stuff. Snowdrift farm is in Tucson and they sell FO's but I read where they are going to be closing soon. Bummer. Add general wax to your list, they're in Hollywood and shipping is pretty cheap, but their wax choices and prices are not so cheap.

Thanks everyone for the welcome.... I just so surprised there are no suppliers here. I moved here from Tx, I was not making candles there but had thought about it and researched it and where to buy I am just shocked there is nothing local here. I am wanting to make candles for christmas gifts...however having never done it before I am afraid my time is running out to buy the right was the right scents and get it all made and tested and shipped by christmas. I was looking to do some pillar candles single wick, want something that is a little more enviro friendly... So was thinking soy wax and non zinc based wicks? Again still reading up on what I can and can't do with some waxes, suggestions? I recently was gifted this http://www.waxmelters.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PW200+WATER+JACKET+MELTER&Show=TechSpecs a few months so I really am excited to start using it. Long story I was going to buy it then they decided to just give it to me since they had never used it and it was sitting in the garage for 5 years.

So here is where I am at the moment ... I am filling my melter with water it probably has about 30lbs of wax already in it.. scented..with the typical scent you smell in every candle store in America! I was going to use that to play around and or should I just melt it and toss it?

So here is where I am at the moment ... I am filling my melter with water it probably has about 30lbs of wax already in it.. scented..with the typical scent you smell in every candle store in America! I was going to use that to play around and or should I just melt it and toss it?

toss 30 lbs of wax?? :shocked2:

BTW... who knew candle making could be made so difficult!! When I was a kid I dug a hole in the sand put a wick in the hole poured in the wax let it set and TA DA!! had a candle the next day that my mom used... haha

Edited by Geoinerworks

You could spice it up with some fresh scent (something compatible) and use it for fire starters or dipped ornies...

I think I would melt it and pour it into some storage containers for project use and play around with waxes whose properties can be identified.

had a candle the next day that my mom used

Ya gotta love moms - they will use, display, wear ANYTHING their children make just because...

If you tossed it, we'd have to put a contract out on you..lol

you can certainly use it for practice and personal use. I bought over 150lbs of wax from a guy several years ago - some kind of paraffin with vybar in it and lightly scented. Could never get it wicked properly but I use it for melts for myself and for Citronella candles for the patio - don't care if it's wicked properly nor what it looks like but it does repel the bugs.

HAHA Beth... it doesn't smell very good.... I said should I play with it? But I have no idea what it is either... all I know is its still has enough scent in it smell up a 3 car garage just by removing the melter lid... haha

whew........ I thought you meant YOU put the wax in, also, lol. I thought you were a bit nuts there for a minute! :)

I have only read about professional melters, so I have no experience with them. If you are just starting out, you may want to use something smaller (like a Presto or turkey fryer) so that you can learn what you are doing before going on to larger batches... I do envy your good fortune in receiving such a wonderful gift!

If it doesn't operate correctly, why not contact the manufacturer for advice? I have read that that company offers good customer support, but have no firsthand knowledge to offer... It sure wouldn't hurt to call and establish a relationship with them to help guide you even if you don't have problems... they may be able to offer tips that will extend the life of your melter and preserve its good operation. Good luck! :smiley2:

Edited by Stella1952

Stella... if we are going to be friends... you have to stop being so practical!! LOL Start smaller?!?!?!? With a 200lb melter in the garage?!?!!? Now you tell me.. honestly... would you start smaller with a 200lb melter in the garage??? :) HAHA I actually just went to check on it and oh my is it working!! Apparently its just a slow heat process which would make sense I am going to contact the manufacturer I need a manual and knob for the thermostat. I did contact the watlow the makers of the heater they are very nice..though prices are a little crazy.. they wanted 600 for that same heater waxmelters.com wants 250 for I was checking incase I needed a replacement.

would you start smaller with a 200lb melter in the garage?

Hail yeah! There's a LOT to learn and a LOT of testing to do, so I'd rather use something smaller before I used a big melter. I have only gotten to the point that I am looking for something larger and more production oriented!

But dang, it WOULD be tempting with the poor melter sitting all alone out in the garage... Personally, I'd use it just to play with the wax it came with to make projects and fool around as others mentioned. But I really would start testing wax with something smaller.