KY Parasoy for tarts/ FO oils?

Spellkast

Hi! I'm really new to this "tart" making thing. My friend gave me a bag of some KY parasoy she had, and some Just Scent & Aroma Haven oils. I've read through this forum, and I see a lot of you use KY. I am NOT getting the great results you all are talking about. :( I heat the wax to 185 (like a few suggested on this board,) add the FO (10%!!), and pour in to my molds. I've let them cure for a week, and yet the cold throw is very weak, and the hot throw is just a joke. I can smell a couple of the oils for maybe an hour tops...and some of the lighter scents I can barely smell at all. Could it be the oils? Are these two suppliers not that great, perhaps? Do they have weak oils? Are there any companies out there that have "knock your socks off" powerful scents that I can try to compare?

I also ordered IGI 4786, and EcoSoy Pillar Blend to try and see if they have any better results. I know some waxes work for some people while others do not (how that is, though, I'll never know!!) :) Any thoughts, though? Am I doing something wrong, or should I just move on to something that performs better...??

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Let's see- from Just Scent, I've tried:

Vanilla bean noel

dirty dancing

wild orchid & vanilla

apple mango tango

pumpkin & vanilla

flip flops

coppertone (which, by the way, smells NOTHING like suntan lotion to me!)

Kitchen spice (again, nothing like BBW's old scent)

Nutmeg spice

And from Rustic Escentuals, I tried:

Oatmeal Milk & Honey

Creamy Nutmeg

Grandma's kitchen

Carrot Cake

Midnight Pomegranate

I figured they'd all be pretty strong scents, as opposed to soft, light scents...but I guess I was wrong!

I use ParaSoy and I have a great hot throw.

I go by Rustic Escentual's directions:

Directions: Heat to approx 165°, add color and candle scent, stir constantly for two minutes, then pour into clamshells, foil cups or molds. Pour temperature should be around 155°-160°.
I add my FO and color around 160° - 165° and have been making sure I pour at around 155°.

I have Grandma's Kitchen but I haven't tried it yet, nor have I done any of those others, so I really can't tell you if it is the FOs or not!

I just made a batch of Fruit Slices (from Lonestar) and I made them on Monday using KY Parasoy. I took it to school with me today and melted it in my classroom. It filled my classroom within 5 minutes (2 cubes) and you could smell it throughout the entire hallway the rest of the day.

Edited by Soleil

Just made my first batch with Ky para soy, Scented Snowflakes. They turned out great. Already had a friend test and 2 days still smells. May just be the FO too, not what I expected for this scent more musky powdery scent. Added sprinkles too, that was fun..

What kind of warmers do you guys use? Maybe that's my issue...? I have a scentsy warmer (I know, I know...) and there have only been two waxes I've tried (besides a blend I tried) that had ANY kind of throw at all. Although, I have to say that even the CT on the KY was really weak to me. How strange, right? We can all use the same wax, same FO's, same pouring temps, everything, and get such different results! :)

That's what I figured- my area is FULL of scentsy- you can't walk down the street without seeing scentsy products, or advertisements...it's crazy, but I'd like to be able to compete with them in some way and so far, the best wax I've found has been two mixed together...and it still doesn't QUITE have the lasting quality I'm looking for. They all melt fine in the Scentsy pots, they just don't last all that long in the scentsy pots. I'm thinking about getting a couple of other types of warmers to see if my waxes perform well in those, and just not Scentsy, but I'd really need a wax that does well in those warmers, or I'm SOL trying to sell anything in this area!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am self employed and have my own private spa. I have a scentsy warmer plugged in when you walk in. All my clients know about scentsy. Well I made my tarts and brought them into the spa. One client asked me if they were scentsy. I said no with excitment. I make my own now. They are awesome and they work in scentsy warmers too. So many of my clients that use them bought mine without hesitation. Once they find out our wax tarts are just as good they will come back to us. We just have to be positive and excited. One of my clients bought them and doesn't even have a warmer. Crap I should of bought some to sell. Will be doing that for the New Year now.:yay:

I dont use KY Parasoy for my melts but I have had a few of my melts do the same thing, I have CT but the HT is weak, I would play around with my melting temps and maybe bring the FO% down , not sure but sometimes I have found it does work for me .HTH