My First Palm Votive

karie

This only my second attempt with Palm Wax. The first was a pillar and brittle. Have steric on order to see if that helps. The FO is Asian Sandlewood. Smells great unlike the pillar I made which had very little scent. The tops are a little uneven but these are just for me to test. I love the way the wax looks.

post-14149-139458489454_thumb.jpg

pencil.png

Palm was IS extremely hard and brittle. That's the way it is. It is like no other wax. I suspect you may have some air pockets about 3/8" out from the wick, so next time, break through the top as it's cooling to let the air bubbles escape. This will "uglify" the top, so do a careful second pour for perfect tops. You can also run imperfect tops over a hot surface to smooth any lumps, then insert the wick (if you are using wick pins). Fill the molds to the meniscus (bulging but not yet running over) so that as the candle cools & contracts you have a slight "bowl" in which to do a second pour.

Palm wax, like any other veggie wax, needs a good cure time. I allow my palm wax candles to cure and harden for at least 5 days before testing them. If your wicking is spot on, you should have a lovely smelling candle. Be sure to burn in a close fitting container - votives are not meant to be free-burned.

There is a ton of information in the threads of the veggie wax forum about using palm wax that I hope you'll read, read, read.

Those are very nice votives for your first try and asian sandlewood is a very pleasing fragrance. Good work!! :-)