Ready for the next step...

I am at the point where I am ready for a "real" wax melter. I began with the double boiler method and then moved to a presto pot. From there I moved to multiple presto pots and other heating elements to melt my wax. Each element would melt 5-10lbs of wax. I am now at the point that I would like to take the leap and get a professional type wax melter and I'm not sure where to begin. I have been looking around and have discovered that there are many different types out there at many different price points.

Does anyone have any recommendations?? I am looking for a wax melter that melts 50-100lbs of wax.

For soy wax, I really like the concept of these:

http://wenesco.com/dip.htm#diptop

These are hot air convection melters - no "hot spots." Water jacketed melters are my second choice, but I really don't want to have to monitor the water in them.

I haven't been able to "step up" to a real melter, yet, but after researching (and receiving nearly zero input from others), that was my choice. I hope someone who is USING these will chime in with some realtime experiences.

For us we took the plunge from double boiler to big daddy 50 lb melter from a deal we found on good ol craigslist. Its a direct heat I think they call it, not the water jacket one and got to say, we simply love it with our soy blend were using. Once we got this thing up and going.... that double boiler looks mighty small LOL But I do still find myself using it here and there for the smaller batches sometime...

Best of luck on your search and hope our input helps you some =) Oh and it came from Candlewic if that helps too =)

We have 100# water jacketed melter. Love it. Just make sure you keep a spare heating element on hand. They go out every couple of years but it sure hurts when it goes out this time a year on a Friday night and you can't order one until Monday and then have to pay overnight freight just to get up and running by Wednesday. Lost 4 days production last month. Candlewic saved us, they had a replacement in stock.

Go with 220 volt for sure.

I have a water jacketed melter which I love, but I am cutting back on making candles and have it for sell. Where are you in MN? You could sae alot of money and shipping if you want to come over at look at it. I'm just north of the Twin Cities in St. Francis.

We have the 60 gallon Cougar melter. Last year they retailed new for $995. I searched for months on Craigslist before I found this one. A company East of here thought getting into the candle business was lucrative and purchased the melter first. After further research they decided it wasn't for them. They never used it. I purchased it in September 2010 and couldn't be happier. If I would have bought new I probably would have selected something about 1/2 this size because I don't need to melt 60lbs at a time. They are a time saver. In a few hours two of us can easily pour a couple hundred clamshells. I don't know if you can read this page of the companies brochure but maybe you can download it. Or PM your email addy and I send it.

post-11507-139458489501_thumb.jpg

post-11507-139458489496_thumb.jpg