trying to understand why

jackie

I have really dry hair and itchy scalp (not flakey, just itchy). I recently tried just using conditioner instead of shampoo and so far it's working. Hair looks clean and no itching. I don't understand why though. I really wasn't expecting the conditioner to cleanse--I don't see any ingredient I recognize as a cleansing agent but then I'm no chemist. Thought I'd tap the knowledge base here. I was thinking of trying to make a non-sulfate shampoo.

I'm trying different ones, the first was Head and Shoulders for itchy scalp, then Pantene . Next I'm trying the cheaper ones like Suave. I always used conditioner after shampooing to detangle (I have thick hair) but this way saves me money.

thanks for the info.

I have really dry hair and itchy scalp (not flakey, just itchy). I recently tried just using conditioner instead of shampoo and so far it's working. Hair looks clean and no itching. I don't understand why though. I really wasn't expecting the conditioner to cleanse--I don't see any ingredient I recognize as a cleansing agent but then I'm no chemist. Thought I'd tap the knowledge base here. I was thinking of trying to make a non-sulfate shampoo.

Could try a baking soda/water mix for wash, rinse w/natural apple cider vinegar (do not wash out) and rinse again with a strong made tea of quality rosemary (do not wash out).

I didn't have anything with my scalp but wanted to get away from the chemicals of shampoo and what they cause. This works for me, my hair is the healthiest its ever been w/tons of shine and grows like crazy. Gives a very healthy scalp.

Thanks jeanie. I'll have to try that. What proportions on the apple cider vinegar do you recommend (I assume it's not straight vinegar)? I grow rosemary in my herb garden, though I must admit I hate the smell of rosemary.

I just pour about 1-2 ounces of Bragg ACV in the bottom of a plastic container that is 16 oz, fill w/water and run slowly over and through hair. This is to clarify and balance PH back after using baking soda.

For the rosemary rinse, I use a whole spice size container to brew a tea in a large cooking kettle. I simmer it for about 4 hours. It would be the largest size in a cooking set. I store it in a a half gallon AZ tea container. Never molds due to the rosemary.

Pour that slowly over hair and rub it through as you are pouring it over. I massage it into my scalp as I'm pouring it on my head. Use about a cup or so to rinse through hair.

I only have to use conditioner on the ends about every 2 weeks or so. No tangles at all and my hair is about down to the middle of my back which used to tangle badly at that length.

For the baking soda wash you can either mix it up as a paste or bring about 8 ounces of water to a boil, add 1/3 cup baking soda. Stir until dissolved, let cool and pour in bottle. You will have no suds and it may take a week or two for your hair to adjust. But once it does, its great...imo.

Edited by jeanie353
additional info

I use conditioner only to cleanse my dry curly hair all of the time. During the dry winter months I usually go 6-8 weeks between shampoos, the summer is more like every 2 weeks. I make my own shampoo and conditioner too.

The trick to using conditioner only is to really massage your scalp well with the pads of your fingers to get it clean. I find this easier to do with my head flipped upside down.

I've been washing my hair this way for a few years now and love it. My stylist noticed a huge difference once I started this routine, much healthier.

I have found that some shampoos fragrance cause my scalp to itch. I have stopped using conditioner and use leave in ones before using a hairdryer to protect it. I also love this product, it's all natural and works great too. I love the eucalyptus and peppermint scent. mmmm http://www.seaweedbathco.com/wildly-natural-seaweed-shampoo

Edited by TexasBrat

• 1 month later...

You might try a modern dual purpose product such as Victoria's Secret shower and bath cream. Shampoo and body combined. The reason I suggest it is that I am currently working on a copy because it's really good. I already have more than half of the ingredients sorted. That product uses two surfactants that are really really mild, good for babies in fact: sodium trideceth sulphate and sodium lauroamphoacetate.